Chapter 23

Hey peoples, I'm feeling so sad that this story is nearing the end. Ive come to love writing all these characters. I'm sad that I'll never be able to after this. Well enough of my blab and on with the story.

------------

Suddenly, McKinley heard a coughing, sputtering sound. She zipped around, panicked. She ran right to Cinocca's side, covering his mouth. She gestured to Harlow, pointing to a still sleeping Ajax. She mouthed to her, telling her it was time. Harlow nodded, swallowing nervously. She didn't want this, she really didn't want to kill him. He had always seemed so sincere, so pure. But she didn't have a choice, if he was a threat, he'd have to die at some point. 

Harlow pulled out her dart gun, taking in a deep breath. She grabbed a vial, filled with plant mixtures. Twirling a dart between her fingers, Harlow dipped the tip into the vial, then placed it the gun. Tears brimmed in her eyes as she lifted it, aiming for Ajax's heart. The less pain the better. She felt betrayed, for sure, but he didn't deserve to die. He had lied to her, but this wasn't the punishment he deserved. 

Harlow closed her eyes, letting the tears fall, pulling the trigger. She collapsed to her knees, drowning out the sounds of screaming, and then the boom of the cannon. Now she really was alone, the only person she had trusted was gone. 

----------------------- 

McKinley was suddenly panicking, as warm blood splashed against her hand. She pulled back her hand, and Cinocca stumbled over into the sound, continually coughing into the sand. His wound bled through his bandage, staining his shirt red. And this time he didn't stop, just sputtering out blood. 

Mckinley's hands shook as she lifted his shirt, afraid of what she would find. Cinocca's toned stomach was completely red, the wound a gaping hole. The bandage was doing nothing. She knew what she had to do. Grimacing as she grabbed the first aid kit, and took out a needle, and thread. She had to stop the bleeding. 

She did her best to stitch him up, even with trembling fingers. Although none of this could stop him from passing out halfway through the process. Afterwards, Mckinley let out the breath she'd been holding, but the pressure was still a heavy weight on her shoulders. She wouldn't feel better until he was back to normal. She placed Cinocca's head in her lap, moving his hair off his closed eyes. He stirred opening his dark blue eyes. 

"Hey", he said drowsily. 

"Hey," she replied, trying to smile. "How do you feel?" 

"Like something took a bite out of my stomach..." 

McKinley laughed at his good humor. "I think it was actually my arrow," she said. 

"Oh right, that was you Angel." Cinocca said, smirking. 

"We need to get moving," McKinley looked up, pulled out of her moment. Harlow stood stiffly above the pair. 

"The hovercraft will be here soon," she said coldly. "So we need to go." 

McKinley hadn't even noticed the cannon, but saw Ajax's body on the ground. She nodded quickly to Harlow, who came to help her carry Cinocca. 

Harlow let out a whispered goodbye, hoping for the best. And then they all left, moving on to a new stage. 

------------------------ 

Garland stopped for a moment. Hearing a movement in the trees, he whispered at them all to stop. 

"Who do you think it is?" asked Evening. 

"The Careers?" questioned Morelei, her voice trembling with fear. 

"Or the girl from 4," Elodie whispered. Garland looked at her, realizing that they had only a knife left. They'd lost everything in the flood. He stood in front of the others, holding the knife, shielding them from harm. 

Garland heard a ping, and an arrow being pulled from its quiver. His heart raced as he realized that this could be his end. He would protect them at all costs. So he stood tall, confident, defiant. He was scared, but he had to be ready. He took a deep breath, trying to calm his nerves. 

He had hardly heard the whizzing of an arrow, before he was knocked off his feet. He hit the ground with a thud, watching the arrow lodge itself in Elodie's chest. She wobbled for a few seconds, attempting to regain balance. But her knees couldn't support her weight, and buckled beneath her. 

Garland stooped to catch her, taking her in his arms. Her chest heaved, eyes wandering around the scene. She saw the girl from district four slinking far away, and hoped she was gone for good. He reached to the arrow, going to pull it out. Morelei stopped him. 

"No, leave it," She whispered. "It'll help keep it from bleeding out." 

Garland nodded quickly, tears welling in his eyes. He layed Elodie down into the sand, kneeling beside her. She reached her hand up, touching his cheek. 

"Are you done your song?"she whispered, breathing heavily. 

Garland nodded, letting a tear fall. He sang, letting it pay tribute to her. 

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow 

A bed of grass, a soft green pillow 

Lay down your head, and close your eyes 

And when again they open, The sun will rise." 

She stopped him for a second, pulling his head down. She pressed her lips softly against his, then placed her token in his hand. "Thank you," she whispered, laying her head back down. 

Garland continued, a heavy weight on his chest. 

"Here it's safe, and here it's warm 

Here the daisies guard you from every harm,"  

He struggled to go on, as Elodie's heart slowed. She closed her eyes, and her cannon went off. 

"Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true 

Here is the place where I love you..." 

He let go of her hand, which no longer held warmth, then kissed her forehead. He stood up, facing them all head on, not afraid to show the sorrow in his heart. 

He felt so empty, so cold. He wiped at his eyes, drying tears off his cheeks. He nodded towards the twelves, gesturing to a tree. Evening climbed up the branches, limbs trembling. Garland sighed, trying to keep the somber feeling lingering in the air from consuming him completely. They couldn't give up now, it was so close to the end, they couldn't afford to slack off anymore.