Chapter 20

So I actually have to change my update day, I’m not sure which day it’ll be yet, but I’ll still try to have a chapter per week. Since I’m getting an Editor; the marvelous Sydskees, and my best writing day is Thursday, my chapters will be out later since she actually needs time to, you know, edit. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but I hope you like the chapter.

I also want to give a shout out to RatherBeReading, you give me the best reviews, they really make my day. Thanks for the kind words and constructive criticism. J

----------------------------------------------------------------

Elodie thrashed about, searching for light in the never ending darkness. Her feet grazed across the ground, and she managed to push out of the violent waters. Her head reached the surface, taking in frantic breaths. She shook her head once, forcing her eyes to focus.

She could see Morelei pulling Kordeen out of the shimmering waves, Evening hooked around his arm, coughing. The water started to lower, and Elodie ran towards them.

“You guys okay?” she asked, panicked. The three terrified twelve year olds managed a short nod. “Good” she turned around herself, the water flowing down below her ankles. “Where’s Garland?” she said. The three twelves just stared, wide eyed, unknowing.

“Garland!” she yelled, not caring if anyone heard her “Garland!!” she didn’t see him.

Elodie ran down the hill, searching left and right for the dark haired boy. Sneaking glances in trees, not knowing where he had ended up. And then she stopped. Turning around herself she spotted him, unconscious below a tree. “Garland’ she fell to her knees, leaning her head against his chest. Nothing… Had they missed the cannon? She shook him, calling his name, but he remained unresponsive, not breathing. “Help!” she yelled. “Please, somebody help!” She grabbed his limp hand, his skin was cold. Dead. This wasn’t supposed to happen. She turned around at a sound, and saw Morelei standing behind her.

“You have to push the water from his lungs” whispered the young girl, a single tear making it’s way down her pale cheek. “So he can breathe”

“I don’t know how” Elodie said, her voice scratchy “You do it”

“No, I can’t” cried Morelei, breaking into sobs. Her knees wobbled. “I-I’m scared” she whispered.

Elodie tried to be calm. “Ok, tell me what to do, hurry” she followed the young girl’s instructions quickly, crossing her hands, pushing down onto Garland’s chest strongly. She heard a crack and panicked.

“Keep going” said Morelei. So Elodie did, and then she leaned down, closing her mouth around Garland’s lips, she breathed out, pushing air into his lungs. She saw his chest rise, and it worked…

--------------------------------------------

Garland sputtered, feeling a weight lifted from his chest. Light blinded him as he opened his eyes slowly; he was greeted by Elodie’s dark blue eyes, filled with worry.

“Garland” she sighed, relief flooding her freckled face, “You’re ok…”

Garland turned over, coughing up water into the sand.  After a minute, he attempted sitting up, lightheaded and dizzy. “Wow” he whispered, eyes wide “What happened?” Elodie struggled to answer him.

“Well…” she said.

“You drowned, in a flood” Morelei whispered. “Your lungs were blocked with water so Elodie breathed air back into them”

“I didn’t know what to do; I was so scared but…” Elodie looked down “it was Morelei really, she told me how to do it, I had no idea what I was doing”

Garland placed a hand on her shoulder softly “Thank you” he turned to Morelei “And thank you” ]

The whole group huddled in around him. “I’m so glad you’re all ok”