III

It was the morning of the funeral. Gabriel wasn't ready to say his final good bye to his father. Ethan had cut his hair. It was very short and curly now. The Queen had taken a vow of silence until sundown. Gabriel would be the only one who knew the truth.

Gabriel was the first in the palace to be ready for the reception. When he looked out of his widow the whole kingdom from the palace in Arroyo to the palace in Caspian, was covered in black. The only problem was that Amell wouldn't be there.

The two have discussed this matter. Gabriel told him the date of the funeral. Amell promised to wear black for the entire week. He is more broken up about Malin's death than Aimi is.

Gabriel had a sense of guilt that followed him when ever he talked to his brother or his mother about his father's dying words. He knew that those words wold stick with him all his life. He even considered telling everyone about the life long affair.

Almost as soon as that thought crossed his mind he shut it out. He would do nothing of the sort to hurt Amell, or his faint of heart mother. He thought it best to not take this course of action.

A servant walked into Gabriel's room.

"Sir, the service will be starting soon." He said.

"I'll be there soon." He said as he waved the servant out.

He had no idea how to conduct himself. He had to be strong and sad. He had to make a speech for the kingdom to hear. This would kill him. Gabriel known his father better than anyone, more so now.

He headed down to the Royal Gardens. Malin always loved them. This is were he would watch his sons grow up. Were he had most conversations with Gabriel. When Gabriel got to the Gardens it was full with the citizens of Arroyo.

His mother and Ethan were near the casket. His mother crying on her eldest son's shoulder. Gabriel knew in that moment that he would make a great king. He went to his family.

"I know how much this pains you brother. You and father were exceptionally close." Ethan said.

Gabriel nodded. He let a few tears go down his face. Ethan had the face and composer of stone. Ethan thought it better to keep up his appearance. With Malin's death came the end of an era.

Ethan was the first to give a eulogy. The royal family swam up to the balcony.

"With the death of the King, my father, comes a kingdom born anew. Don't grieve over our lost. Celebrate what we have. We have forth coming peace and wealth. The love of the old king will remain, but eventually we will move on. We will always love the king and I will always love my father. I raise a glass to to you, King Malin, gone but not forgotten." There were cheers from the massive crowd.

Gabriel always thought his brother was a tough act to follow. Gabriel was next and last seeing that his mother was in the mist of a vow of silence.

"I knew my father better than anyone. Even more in his death. It feels like his hand is guiding me to live my life better than he lived his. This is not to say that he hated his life. Just that he made mistakes, just like the rest of us. He loved, and hated like us. I find myself becoming more like him every day. I find myself learning about him even after his death. His life is....was the most beautiful thing I have ever learned about. He loved fast and hard. He was adventurous, he was brave, and most of all a good role model. A leader. A King and father I would be proud to call my own."

Gabriel had such passion behind his words. It was the closet thing he could say about his father's life style. He had to ask his mother more about him. It was an amazing thing to think he spent most of his life being protected and love by this man he hardly knew anything about.

He headed inside the palace. Gabriel wanted to see Amell. Tell him about the service. He waited for the sun to go down. The mourning would come after.

Well after sun down Gabriel visited his mother. She would be talking again. Gabriel knew better than anyone that she was in a loveless marriage with her husband, if that's what you would call it. She loved him. But he never loved her. He knocked on her door.

"Come in." She called. When she saw her son her face sunk. Gabriel looked like Malin all too often.

"Mother, if you don't mind could I as you a question?" Gabriel moved next to his mother. He took her hands and bowed before her.

"Or course love, what is it?" She asked, as she stroked his long dark brown hair.

"What was father like? If you don't want to answer you don't have to. I understand that you may not have the strength." He said.

"It's fine love, if we don't talk about him our memories of him die too." She wiped away tears and cleared her throat. "Your father was a strange man to say the least. When I met him for the first time he put on the biggest fake smile I'd ever seen. I never mentioned that to him. I was so scared to met him. I asked him if he ever thought about marriage. He took a long while to answer me. He soon disclosed that he loved another. I never got her name though."

Amell. Gabriel thought.

"He had sad eyes. He always has. When you and your brother were born he was happy but there was always a hint of sadness. I know it seems stupid now, but I loved him because he could smile though he was sad. I thought I could help him relieve some of his sadness. It was a futile effort on my part. He spent weeks away from home after we first got married. Then spent his hours in the study, like you do, making laws for you and your brother. He wanted you two to marry for love. To live a better life then we were ever offered." She hugged her son.

"Thank you mother. I know this was hard." Gabriel said. He held her tight.

There was on last place Gabriel wanted to visit. It was the shores. He wanted to speak to Amell