II

Amell had spent numerous hours telling Gabriel everything he knew about the Mainland. Then more about his father. Amell would tear up more often than not. Then he would change the subject to something else.

"My father has been with you longer than he has my mother, am I correct?" Gabriel asked.

"Only by a few months but yes. We have kept this secret for over 20 years." Amell said. "I know it's a lot to take in. Your father having a life long affair and all."

"I think I need to go lie down." Gabriel said.

"Gabriel, I completely understand. If you ever need me for anything at all, I'll be here." With that Gabriel told Amell good bye.

He had much to think about. What did his father mean by he could never love somebody's daughter? Would he tell his mother about his father's life long affair? That would only add to the turmoil of King Malin's death.

Not to mention the feeling he had with Amell. Within minutes they formed an instant bond. Like Gabriel had known Amell all his life. It was like Amell was a second father to Gabriel.

I mustn't think such thoughts. My father has just died. I need to rest and help my family in any way possible. Gabriel thought.

As he swam back to the palace he saw one sole light on inside. He recognized it to be his brother's light. He wanted to go see his brother. They had much to discuss. He swam as fast as possible to his Ethan's room. When there at last, he knocked.

When Ethan opened the door, he looked tired. It was a mix between grief for his father, and the stress from becoming the new king soon.

"Brother, are you feeling alright?" Ethan asked. Ethan would always take concern over his younger brother than himself.

"We have much to discuss." Gabriel said as he pushed past his brother into the room.

"If it's about the arrangements for my coronation mother and I have made all the plans. As for father's funeral, it will be tomorrow."

"Brother, no, that's not what I have come to discuss." Gabriel said.

"Get on with it then. I have work that needs to be done."

"How much do you know about father?" Gabriel asked.

"Gabriel what do you mean?"

"Just answer the question for me, please." Gabriel begged.

"He was defiant in his youth. Father always had a sense of adventure. You were his favorite son. Mother says the first time they kissed he was so surprised that he swam off. We are all grieving in our own ways and if this brings you closure, I'm happy to help. But if you should see mother she knew him best."

"Thank you. That was all I needed." Gabriel said as he left his brother's room.

Father wasn't surprised when mother kissed him. He hated it. Gabriel thought.

Gabriel followed Ethan's advice. He went into his mother's room. When he knocked she didn't answer. He opened the door to find she had cried herself to sleep. He couldn't ask her his questions. She was in no shape to talk about her late husband.

Gabriel decided to go to bed. Although there was no way he could sleep, his mind was buzzing with all the new information, and the questions he has. He unpacked the bag he had. He took one more look at the blade.

It was exquisitely designed. It must have been expensive when purchased. The design reminded him of the beauty of the sea.

Amell must want this back. Gabriel thought.

He turned around and left the palace again. He needed to be quick so he didn't miss Amell. Gabriel wondered how long he would be out on the pier. When he go to shore once again. Amell was still there. He stuck his head out of the water.

"Back so soon?" Amell said.

"I only came to return this." Gabriel said as he handed over the blade.

Amell looked at it for a long while. A few tears went down his face. He pulled a necklace from under his shirt.

"I gave this to Malin the first time we kissed. Well, he kissed me. He was so scared about how I would react all he could get out of his mouth was 'sorry' the day after he got me this." Amell pointed to the necklace. That thing must have ment the world to him.

"Then you should have it. It seems like you knew and loved my father more than I or my mother and my brother did." Gabriel said.

"No, no, you should take it Gabe, it's only fair that you get it. You are his son."

That said, Gabriel began to cry. Only his father called him "Gabe" he was holding back all his tears. He wanted to be strong for his family. Ethan was right Gabriel, and Malin did have an unbreakable bond. Amell jumped down to comfort Gabriel.

He did so while not exactly knowing what set him off. Amell was beginning to love Gabriel. He loved him like a son.