IX

Gabriel woke with a start. He was confused and scared. Gabriel hadn't a clue where he was. He started hyperventilating. He removed the blanket from his body and almost screamed when he saw them. His legs.

Amell entered the room. He saw Gabriel in his panic. Amell ran to hug him. They stayed embraced until Gabriel's breathing evened out.

"Amell I don't know what happened. I don't remember anything." Gabriel said into Amell's ear.

Amell pulled from the boy.

"Tell me the last thing you remember. I promise I'll fill you in after that."

"A wave, a big huge wave." Gabriel said.

"After the wave you were kinda kicked out the water. I carried you to my home. That's were we are now. You've been asleep for a whole day."

"I just have one last question. Were is the staff and my bag? The book?"

"After you clocked out, I went and retrieved all of your things. Don't worry. I can't believe you brought the knife." Amell said.

"Help me up." Gabriel said.

Amell helped Gabriel in a futile attempt to walk. As soon as he stood up Gabriel fell to the ground. He hadn't a clue on how to walk. Amell helped him back into bed.

"That didn't work." Gabriel said.

"You'll learn. In the mean time, I should get you some clothes. I also have some people I want you to meet." Amell said as he got up to find some clothes.

"Amell has he woken up yet? I want to meet him. He's been asleep for ages." Abigail said, as she walked into the room. She was holding a food tray.

Gabriel looked at the woman confused. The woman looked like Amell. He was starring to assume all humans looked like him. He wondered how the two met and what her relationship with Amell was.

"Abigail meet my son Gabriel, Gabriel meet my sister Abigail." Amell said.

"Nice to meet you Gabriel." Abigail said.

"Hello." Gabriel said timidly.

Abigail put the tray down so Gabriel could eat. He looked at the food. He picked at it. It made him nervous to be looked at so intensely.

"It's not going to bite. Eat it." She commanded.

Quite frankly, Abigail scared Gabriel. He did as he was told. Amell pushed Abigail out of the room. Gabriel could hear the two arguing outside the room. Gabriel looked around the room. He found the staff, on the table next to the bed.

He held it. It was different from how it was on the sea floor. It was brown and plain, not the colors of coral. But it did have something it didn't have before. It now had a yellow sphere on the top of it.

He moved to the edge of his bed. He put the staff on the floor and used it to support his weight. Gabriel stood up on his own. He looks down at his new legs and feet. Not to mention the other member. He was wearing a shawl that he didn't remember having before.

"He can't stay here forever!" He heard Abigail's voice say.

"Why not? You and your daughter never seem to be moving out." Amell responded to her.

"If you had your own wife and child I wouldn't have asked."

"I do have a child! He's in the other room!"

"You know what I mean! Why didn't you get married anyway?" Abigail asked.

"We've been over this. When I was young I was married to the sea. How else do you think I could afford this house! The house your living in!" Amell yelled.

Gabriel thought it best to stay out of the argument. He sat back down on the bed. He was sorry for all the trouble he caused. He never ment to make Amell and his sister fight over him. But it made him feel odd for Amell to refer to him as his son.

Gabriel did feel a special connection to Amell, but to be called his son.

I suppose it only makes sense. How else is he going to introduce me to people? Gabriel thought.

Gabriel closed his eyes and took deep breaths. He wanted to do so many things. He wanted to walk around, meet other humans, get aboard a boat. Gabriel wanted to do and experience everything. But without a guide he wouldn't get too far.

He opened his eyes once more. He saw a child in front of him. She scared him. Gabriel hid under the blankets.

"Hi, I'm Emily." She said. She was a young child no older than 12.

"Gabriel." He said.

"They're saying that name a lot." She turned and looked at her family squabbling in the hall. "Don't worry they fight all the time."

"It's good to know that their not just fighting about me."

"Why are you here anyway?" She asked with big eyes.

"I'm Amell's.........son." It was even more odd to say it aloud.

"If Uncle Amell is Mum's brother, and you are his son, than you are my cousin. That's great, I've not had a cousin before!" Emily said with excitement.

"Neither have I. It is kind of fun, isn't it?"

"Emily! Leave him alone!" Amell yelled as he walked in the bedroom.

"Gotta go now bye." She said as she waved to him.

Gabriel waved back to the girl. He thought she was sweet and innocent. He felt terrible that her mother and Amell fought all the time. Amell walked in the room.

"Can you walk?" Amell asked.

"I think so. I need support, I can't do it on my own."

"Close enough. Here put these on." Amell said as he threw some clothes to Gabriel.

"Why? Are we going somewhere?" Gabriel asked.

"Yes I need a drink, and I think it's a dangerous idea to leave you here with those two." Amell said as he left the room so Gabriel could change.

Gabriel looked at the clothes. He had an idea of how they should look. Gabriel thought he should look like Amell. It took him a while to figure out what body part went in which article of clothing but Gabriel eventually succeeded.

He took the staff and used it to walk. When he left the room he didn't see Amell in the hall. Gabriel started to go down the steps when he fell halfway down.

"What in the bloody hell was that!" Abigail yelled.

Amell ran to the steps. He helped Gabriel off the ground. Abigail and Emily ran to see what was the matter. There was at least a dozen questions between the two of them.

"Gabe fell. He has trouble walking. I should have helped him down the steps. Just don't worry he'll be fine, right Gabe?" Amell said.

Gabriel was too embarrassed by his blunder to say anything. He just nodded.

"See he's fine. We're off to get drinks now." Amell said. Gabriel was standing next to Amell and getting rushed out the door by him.

"A drink!? Are you mad!? He can hardly bloody stand on his own! He doesn't need a drink!" Abigail yelled.

"Yeah, but I do." Amell muttered under his breath.

The two walked out the door and down the street. Gabriel was astounded by all the things where was to see. There was so much for him to process. The smell of the food vendors, the way the people looked. It was overwhelming to him, but somehow it was overwhelming in a good way.