XVI

Gabriel was walking with Amell as they headed to the pub. Amell had told Gabriel he wanted to talk about something but they needed to be away from Abigail. Somehow she knew almost everything that happened in that house. Almost.

The pub was nearly empty as they walked in. Amell lead Gabriel to a booth near the back of the pub. Gabriel sat down as Amell got them drinks. A pint of the black stuff, naturally.

"Gabe how's your mother? How's she taking Malin's death?" Amell asked as he sat down.

"She's fine....I think. She loved him, you know. She never really understood why he never loved her back. I remember the arguments they used to have when I was young. They would have that argument about love late at night. They thought no one was listening. But my room was next to theirs so I heard it all. It was amazing really, how he would make his case for being so distant and she would say that my brother and I needed him. Then he would go on to say that I spent all my time with him when he wasn't gone." Gabriel explained.

"That sounds just like him. Malin would say she was the sweetest woman or the most insufferable." Amell's eyes and voice became distant. "I'm sorry by the way."

"Sorry for what? If it's about last night-" Gabriel got cut short.

"No Gabe, this isn't about last night. I'm sorry for keeping Malin away from your childhood. I didn't mean to, he just came to me every day. I didn't mind. Even when he would complain about Aimi or how much you guys cried when you were born."

"What about you?" Gabriel asked as he looked down into his drink.

"What about me? After I met you father that was pretty much it. I continued to work on my ship for a while until I couldn't work anymore. I retired and lived alone for a long time. The only company I had was Malin really. That was until Abigail's husband died and she had nowhere to go. I didn't mind that she came but it did bother me when she asked me what I was doing or where I was off to. I was just so used to living alone I felt I didn't have to explain myself all the time. As for Emily, she is like a daughter to me she's the sweetest little thing in the world. There is nothing I wouldn't do for her." Amell explained.

"Here's to having a hell of a time with our limited time on earth." Gabriel said as he raised his mug.

"A bloody hell of a time." Amell said, raising his.

They drunk from there mugs and Gabriel already started to feel sick. Amell lead him outside to the alley behind the bar. Amell looked around before he put both hands around his waist and kissed Gabriel.

Gabriel pulled away quickly and violently to throw up. Amell could do nothing but give a concerning look.

"I don't think alcohol is for me. I'm just not a drinking guy." Gabriel said as he wiped his mouth and fell to the ground.

"Don't worry about it. It just means your a bad drinker. As for me, I'm a bad drunk." Amell said extending his hand for Gabriel. "Come on now, let's get home."

Gabriel took Amell's hand and stood. The day was still new but Amell thought it was best they went home. When they arrived back at the house it was empty. Gabriel went out to the well to get some water. He thought of the way Amell talked about Malin.

He doesn't seem so sad anymore. He's been able to talk about what there relationship really was like. It still somehow feels wrong to be with him the way I am. Gabriel thought before heading back inside.

Amell was waiting for him with a deviant smile across his face. Amell was planning something Gabriel could see it. Amell moved to Gabriel and kissed him then lead him upstairs.

Amell held Gabriel's hands above his head by the wrists.

"Should we really be doing this now?" Gabriel asked. His body was hot with anticipation.

"Maybe....maybe not. But as I told you before, what's life without a bit of danger." Amell whispered into Gabriel's ear.

Amell pushed him down on the bed. As he was about to undress he heard the door downstairs open and shut.

"Amell! Come help with the food!" Abigail called.

"Damn it." Amell said to himself. "I'll be down in a second!" He called back.

"What am I going to do?" Gabriel asked.

"Help with the food." Amell answered lamely.

They both walked downstairs and helped Abigail and Emily restock the pantry. The fun would have to wait.