Behind

"So you mean to tell us that Naruto, the dead last of the class, was able to defend himself from Shikaku, one of our best strategists and a genius." Sakura skeptically recounts the story of today's events so far.

"Well, I wouldn't call it a win on his part. He simply called my dads bluff and showed everyone his scar from the fight with Sasuke. Either way you cut it though, Naruto didn't slip up. That kid sure can act." Shikamaru added while looking at the clouds as they rolled by.

"Why would showing his scar make your dad back out?" Tenten's muffled voice came as she eats a bit of rice.

"Other than the fact the scar was horrific and put everyone into a state of shock, my dad has scars of his own. He would never like to show them to people, and he just made someone do it in front of the entire village. It hurt his honor in his eyes. So he backed out."

"I didn't even know he had a scar." Sakura whispers.

"None of us did. That's why when we saw it, we knew it was a miracle he is alive after Sasuke did that." Shino's monotonous voice held a hint of sadness towards their friend.

Well, 'friend' is a complicated word to use right now.

"Speaking of Sasuke, why aren't him and Hinata sitting here with us?"Lee questioned as he took a bite from a sandwich Choji was nice enough to let him have.

"Hinata had to sit with her clan and Sasuke wanted to sit as close as possible. The Hyuga clan allowed him it sit in a branch family member's spot who wasn't attending the trial."

Ino scoffed, "I just told my dad I don't want to sit in the Yamanaka section and that I wanted to sit with you guys, I don't know why she didn't."

They all looked at the two, they weren't sitting near each other by any means, but both were easily visible to the group.

Sasuke wasn't eating and  as far as anyone knew, he hasn't really moved since they all got back to their seats. He simply broke from the group with Hinata without a word. He was just sitting and staring at the platform. Face devoid of emotion, but that was normal for him.

Hinata was sitting next to her younger sister. Hanabi was giggling and eating her food as other members of the Hyuga clan talked to her.

Hinata on the other hand was much more somber. She would take tiny bites out of her food. She had a blank expression as well. Not angry or sad. She must have been thinking. That was the only time she wasn't at least poking she fingertips together.

They heard the steps of the stands creaking under weight, the group turned and saw a bowl cut hair and bushy eyebrows reveal themselves.

"Sorry I'm late kids, I decided to do the report as I stated earlier. Granted no one was there to take it." He greeted the group with an explanation.

"It's alright Guy, you didn't miss much. It's been recess for quite a while." Kurenai reassured him.

"I heard about the trial up until recess on my way over here. That kid sure has a lot of youth in him." Guy sits down next to Asuma.

"Yeah, we just got done filling in your group from the mission. I don't think anyone thought it was going to go like this." Asuma  blows out a puff of smoke.

"Is he alright? He doesn't seem to be doing very well." Guy asks as he looks at the boy sitting practically motionless.

"He is awake and refuses medical attention. He just doesn't do much other than sit like that." Shikamaru points out, " unless you piss him off." he grumbles to himself.

The clean up crew all nodded after witnessing what just happened.

All the while, the crowd was beginning to reform. Many of the people picnicking were now standing up front. Wanting to get the best view of the action. Though right now they weren't getting much to look at.