Chapter 1 - Can I Go Home Now?

She pulled the knife from her chest and smiled. "Was that supposed to hurt?" The pureblood drawls.

"Fucking undead," I hiss.

I, Elouise Hills, am a huntress from the Thistle Institute. Our world is infected with the undead also known as vampires. The Thistle Institute was created to train humans; our mission: exterminate all vampires.

But maybe I should start from the beginning of how I got here.

***Earlier at Thistle Headquarters***

"Do I have to," I whine at James for the fifth time.

James is my uncle, he took on the responsibility of taking care of me, after my parents were killed by a pair of purebloods. Or that is what I assume, James is quiet when it comes to the topic of our family. However, I am certain that James, like my dad, is of dark demon blood, which makes me part demon as well.

The Thistle Institute was founded by the two brothers and I've spent most of my life within its walls. Although it may be arrogant to say, a consequence of growing up here is, me, being one of its best hunters.

However, being of demon blood I choose to keep my magic abilities to a minimum, it tends to freak people out. James has trained me in types of combat magic and the general rule on how to harness it.

"For the last time, Elle, yes you have to," James says sternly.

"Okay," I sulk, looking down at my hands.

"You have 20 minutes to prepare, the brief is waiting in the car with Eli," he says before returning to his office. I walk away making the journey to my room.

Opening the door, I head straight over to my dresser to change into more appropriate clothing than sweats and a tank top. Picking up a hairbrush, I go to the mirror to tie my hair up into a tight ponytail.

I inherited my dark hair and brown eyes with green speckles, from my parents. I never met my mum and dad but from what I've heard they were good people, I want to make them proud. Shaking my head to clear my thoughts, I move towards the armoury.

Knives, stakes, guns... I list off possible weapons, I think I'll settle with two silver knives, these should be enough if not I can use magic as a final resort.

"And finally she arrives," Eli announces as I duck into the car.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm here, don't cry about it," I say smiling at Eli, "I could be sleeping, or eating, or even binging my new show! But alas James has dictated otherwise and that is not to be my fate," I sigh dramatically, plopping down into the seat.

Eli laughs nudging me with his arm, "my theatrics are really rubbing off on you, huh?"

"Just a little," I joke, "now let's go the quicker we get there, the quicker I can be back in bed."

Elliot Wilson, a fellow orphan. His parents, fallen hunters, were casualty to an ambush attack by vampires, ever since Eli has lived under the care of the Institute like me. He's my best friend, we grew up together, trained together and are mostly dependant on each other.

"Agreed, let's get this show on the road," he says, starting the car.
.....

"Target is a pureblood, female. Reported to be frequenting the abandoned manor in Sperry Woods," I summarise, reading the debrief.

"Creepy if you ask me," Eli resounds, he stops the vehicle half a mile away from the manor in the woods. Vampires have insanely good hearing and vision. If we aren't careful she'll hear us coming.

We exit the car and creep towards an open entrance of the building. Once inside Eli signals that he will go right, I go left.

On the way here we discussed our plan, divide and conquer. We are both strong enough to hold our own against a pureblood and have earpieces to communicate with in case of unexpected events.

I would use my magic but I don't want to Eli to think I'm a monster like these vampires, he doesn't know I'm a demon, no one does other than James.

Demons are feared and I don't want Eli or anyone I care about, to be scared of me. The Institute is a family but I'm just not ready yet to risk losing them all just because of what I am.

Slowly, I open a door into want seems like a kitchen. Entering the room, the shadows move as a figure shifts. My eyes go straight to the dead rat in the vampire's hands and the blood around her mouth. "Gross," I mutter, my thoughts leaving my head.

She snaps her head towards me and hisses. Reacting with speed, I pull out a knife and aim it at her, it lands deep within her chest but far from her heart.

And now you are caught up on the situation.

***Back to the present***

I throw my last knife at her, missing once again. Oh for the love of Pete, why is my aim shit?!

As you can tell I'm in a predicament, pureblood vampires need a direct knife to the heart to be killed and you, clearly, witnessed me miss this bitch's heart.

My choices limited, I screw all and decide not to use magic, leaving me with no other option but flee, turning back into the hallway, I break into a sprint.

Throwing myself into the closest room, I slam the door and begin to form a makeshift barricade from the remaining items of furniture. I listen, quietly, for any noises but hear nothing, exhaling in relief I step backwards, I should be fine for now.

Suddenly a chill runs down my spine as a presence appears behind me, panic floods my senses as I tense.

Someone's in here with me.
------------------
And that concludes chapter 1. Once again thank you so much for clicking on my story and reading the first chapter. Thank you so much!!

Updates every week (hopefully).

Enami out ;-)