Chapter 15 - Another Day Forward

I wake up early, getting hardly any sleep, the pattern followed: either waking in a cold sweat or from a nightmare, startling Ash, then being engulfed in his chest, falling back to sleep listening to the soft beat of his heart.

The time is 7 am, I wiggle out of Ash's grip and in a tangled mess of sheets, I fall out of the bed. Hitting a wall of smooth flesh, I never reach the floor but instead land flat on Ash's chest, "umph," he groans.

"Good morning," I say giving him a kiss, "thank you for breaking my fall, again," I add, straddling his waist.

"Morning," he gives a small smile, kissing me back then responds, "and it's no problem, it's all part of being able to spend the rest of my life with you," he mumbles, eyes still shut.

I pick myself off him and watch as he doesn't make any effort to move back to bed, but instead lies where he is.

Snoring lightly, I figure I should just leave him be and continue with my morning. I follow a normal morning routine: peeing, brushing my teeth, washing my face, getting clothed, fixing my face and hair.

Albeit depressing, I decide it's respectful to wear black to mourn James, I put on a knee-length wrap dress, that covers my bandaged arms.

Sitting at my vanity, I brush my hair and plait it into a bun at the back of my head, I apply waterproof mascara and curl my eyelashes, add a taupe eyeshadow, and a matte lip.

I walk back into my closet and fish out a pair of black sandals, stepping back out I see Ash still on the floor his neck in an awkward position, laughing softly I decide to help him, "silly husband mine."

Walking to the front post of the bed, a little to the side of Ash, I gesture at him, feeling energy vibrate through the air, "lift," I breathe, the magic pulling Ash up and rolling him onto the bed.

Dropping my arm I walk up to him and kiss his cheek, "I'll see you later," I whisper against his skin, he hums in response half-conscious half not.

Leaving the room, I felt out of breath, my spell taking a toll on me, more so than usual. Wondering around the palace, I stayed deep in thought, my magic had been unstable lately, was it because of my emotions?

Perhaps my subconscious of extreme states had caused my magic to act out. That would explain it, when I was distraught over James or when I blamed myself for making Eli worry the flames appeared. Just a moment ago, being exhausted and troubled, my magic took out more on me than usual.

I should learn to control my emotions better, I should ask Ash or Julia if the palace has a library or archive of some sort, there I could find information on how to harness my power better.

Maybe James' study would have advice, I should head back to the institute and check on everyone.

I passed the great hall, stopping at the door I peer inside, no blood, no bodies, no decorations. The place had been reverted back to its natural bare state.

Shuffling along, I forced myself to move, opening a door leading to a spiral staircase, at the top was another door, that led to a tower.

To my surprise, the tower was fully furnished, with a crib and other baby essentials. A nursery.

To the far side of the room was a bed, king-sized, with large pillows showered in rose petals, and atop a near nightstand was a place card that read, "For Elle..."

I gasped, my hand coming to my mouth, he had made this room for us, for me, looking at the crib, for our future child, I placed my hand over my stomach. I wasn't pregnant I was sure of that, I mean we hadn't done it yet, but, I think, for Ash, I'd happily carry his child.

Walking around the room, I touched items, picking up objects inspecting them and placing them gently back into their space.

I stopped at the crib, turned to the only window in the room, looking out all over the back of the palace.

In the distance, I noticed a familiar relic, the memorial pillar, that pillar was stationed close to headquarters.

A mile north and I would reach Thistle, I leaned out the window and wondered had they taken James back there?

I closed my eyes, I would find out, visualising my room, I opened my eyes and was there. Blinking, I looked into my mirror, spinning around, this really was my room.

I flew out of the door and ran to the main building, looking for Maria, she would know.

Approaching the reception I saw the familiar white perm that always told me off for playing at the entrance of the building.

"Maria?" I cried, hugging her tightly, against her I murmured, "I missed you."

"Honey, I missed you too," she sobbed, pulling me away she stared at me, "are you ok? Last we heard you were captured by those monsters, James declared he would bring you back to us, Eli too."

Stopping she inhaled, "but instead his body came back, you nor Eli insight, how did you escape, where's Eli?"

I pull her down to her chair and explained everything, Ash being my mate, Eli and Clyde being mates, me choosing to stay as his queen, what happened at our wedding, what happened to James, what Jennie did, I also told her about my demon blood.

Taking in a breath, she blinks at me, "Honey you've been through a lot," she pauses, hand coming to her face she calculates what to say next, " since James is gone I should tell you, we all knew of your demon heritage, except for Eli. James told us how you felt so we kept quiet but I think you need to know now."

My eyes widened and my mouth formed an o, "sounds like something James would do."

"I think you should come with me, you need some things to fix," pushing up her small glasses she takes my arm and leads me to the training field.

No one was training, no one running or sparring. But everyone, sitting on chairs in front of a makeshift platform, with a coffin and wraith atop it. Maria and I walk to the stage, she prompts me to say something.

All eyes on me, I held my head high and spoke, "Hello everyone," I stop, glancing at the coffin and the frame with a picture of James. His face was clear of any emotion staring stoically into the camera. Focusing back on the crowd I continue, "we are here today to say goodbye to one of the founders of Thistle, the man who stuck with his idea of peace through thick and thin. The man you raised us all, who put us on our path to grow and protect each other." I stop, exhaling then carry on, "as the last of James' family, I've decided to step up as the new leader, and take charge of the needs and future decisions of the Institute."

"I know I have a lot to explain but I need you all to trust me first, I'm standing here to put James' mind at rest and make sure we don't fall into ruin without the right leader, I have nothing to hide from the family."

Peter, an older close friend of mine, who stood with James; one of the men that watched as he died, rose. Hand on his heart he announced, "I, Peter Brooks, pledge my allegiance to you, to support your every decision and follow you into the mouth of hell, I stand by you."

Maria turns to me hand on heart also, "I stand by you."

One by one members, young and old, of my family, lift themselves, following suit they state four simple words, "I stand by you."
——————————————————
Aww what a wholesome chapter, kinda sad too but well where's there's dark there's also light.

New chapter out soon!!

Enami out ;-)