Chapter 22 - Worries

After finishing up our picnic, Ash asked me to follow him. Currently my eyes are shut and I am clinging to him for dear life.

"Elle I'm losing all feeling in my arm," he whines.

"You told me to close my eyes, Ash if I can't see, I can't walk and I will fall flat on my face. Is that what you want," I huff.

"No I don't," he sighs in defeat, he then stops, I let go of him.

"Can I open my- ah," I say surprised as Ash picks me up.

"Nope, keep those eyes shut a little longer."

"I can walk you know."

"Yes I know but if I carry you, I won't loose my arm and you won't fall on your face, this is a win win situation for both of us."

I don't say anything but release a puff of air from my lips and push my head into his chest. A few minutes go by, Ash still walking me still tucked in his hold.

He stops, "we're here," he says setting me down.

"You can open your eyes now," he says excitement evident in his voice.

I open my eyes, a familiar scene laid out in front of me. I stand, silent not knowing what to say.

"Ta-da, this was the surprise I was talking about, I know it's a bit weird and maybe I'm over planning but it doesn't hurt to be prepared, right?" He rambles, walking around the room, "a nursery, Asher, really, you just got married and now your trying to put a baby in her, I just scream the perfect husband," he begins to mumble, his thoughts falling straight out of his mouth.

Noticing my silence he babbles even more, "you don't like it, of course you don't, I didn't even let you pick anything, is it the colour? I knew custard was the wrong way to go, I should have gone with canary," he stresses, looking at me.

"It's perfect," I say cupping his cheeks, "I love it thank you, everything is wonderful," I smile, "I just hate to say that I've ruined your surprise."

"What do you mean?"

"Yesterday, before I disappeared, I was wondering around the castle, I accidentally found this place. From here I managed to find my bearings and get to Thistle," I point to the window, "that monument, a mile north from it you reach Thistle," I explain.

He listens to every word then responds, "well I guess I'd better work on another surprise, this time I'll try and keep it a surprise," wrapping his hands around my waist he kisses me.

I kiss him back then part, replying, "I'd like that."

He kisses me again, a short kiss but it didn't fail to make the butterflies in my stomach come to life. "I still have a checklist of items to complete before the coronation and a meeting," he looks at the watch on his wrist, " about now," he says with a goofy smile.

I give him a playful push, "then you need to go, I will not be the reason for your neglected duties."

He laughs, "okay, okay, I'm going, but I'll see you as soon as I can leave, stay safe."

"I will."

He places a quick kiss on my cheek before bolting out the door. I guess I'd better go too.

Floating though the castle, I hear nothing but my lonely footsteps. Considering that a large portion of vampire royalty is staying here I would have expected maids to be bustling through the corridors and the castle to be crowded with chatter.

Perhaps everyone is out eating, or at that meeting. The thoughts clouding my mind I walk straight into someone.

Stumbling back I barely catch myself.

"Watch it," a voice sneers with annoyance.

My gaze snaps to them, their annoyed expression changing to a mischievous one, a sly grin adorning their face. "I didn't know the blood bags were free to roam around, dinner on wheels."

"I am not a 'dinner on wheels,' pureblood," I grit.

"Really," he mocks, "I can hear the blood pumping through your veins, the sound of your pathetic heart beating. Humans, the only thing your good for is being meal," his eyes gleamed with predatory intent as he stalked towards me.

My eyes move to his hand coming up to touch me, "contort," I command, glaring at the vampire. His arm bending abnormally at the elbow, the crack satisfying just as the flash of pain that crosses his features.

I take a step closer, "contort," I repeat, this time his leg snapping to the side. Panic fills his eyes as he attempts to limp back, instead falling to the floor. Fangs out and eyes glowing, he snarls, "bitch."

Glaring at his pathetic form, "I am neither dinner or a bitch," I state, feeling something stir within me, taking over I was no longer in control. Kneeling down to the height of his face, I seethe, "I am a demon, try to touch me again and I'll make you regret the day you left your mother's womb."

The vampire's wide eyes bleed from its pink hue to inky black before rolling back into his head. Staying in my position, I watch as his body begins to convulse then stop, becoming as slack and lifeless as a corpse.

My mind heavy with guilt, none of which I actually felt, I stood, regaining control of my actions. Taking a few steps forward, an immense dizziness washes over me, the blood rushes to my head and my vision becomes hazy.

Suddenly everything stops and I feel myself falling to the floor, the darkness takes over. I lose control again but this time I'm unconscious.
....
Blinking slowly, my eyes adjust to the bright lights of the clean, white room. Pushing myself to sit up, I take a moment letting the blood rushing to my head to settle. After a few seconds the lightheaded feeling lifts and is replaced by nausea.

"Elle, you're awake," the statement sounded more like a question, her confusion mirroring my own.

Looking around the room, I realise I don't know where I am, "What am I doing here? Where are we?" I ask.

"You were found unconscious in a corridor by the west wing, near another body. We moved you here, the infirmary, to check your vitals," Freya explains softly.

The events replay in my head, the vampire, my anger, the loss of control and then the darkness.

"I thought I could finally control my emotions," I say quietly, "I thought I was getting better."

"It's not you," Freya states looking at me.

It's not me?

"What do you mean?" I ask.

Her mouth opens to speak but before she can form words, Ash comes in.

"Elle!?" His frantic eyes search the room, quickly landing on me.

"Hi-" my greeting cut off as he envelopes me in a hug.

"You're ok," his voice muffled against my shoulder.

"Yeah, I'm ok, are we good to go Freya?"

"Yes, of course. I will check up on you tomorrow morning, to make sure that your vitals are normal."

"Thank you Freya, I'll see you tomorrow," she smiles, stepping to the side to let Ash pass with me in his arms. To tired to complain, I stay tucked in his arms. Listening to the steady rhythm of Ash's heart, my eyes grow heavy.
——————————————————
Been a while but that's ok. So school is a constant headache. Also fun fact, I managed to infect my thumb, I went to the doctors and he popped the infection, gross I know. Anyway so now I'm on antibiotics and they make me feel queasy. Bonus fun fact, they were doing vaccinations for Meningitis at school but cuz of my infected thumb I couldn't get the shot. Let's hope herd immunity keeps me safe.

See y'all later.

Enami out ;-)