Chapter 13 - A Dark Place

A sudden chill ran down my spine, I look up, away from the group and get hit by a wave of tempered emotions.

The air leaves my lungs as the foreign thoughts register in my head, ill intentions, pain, suffering and the want for revenge.

Washing over me, like a flood, I drown in hate and anger. My eyes frantically scan the room, I don't understand where are these coming from? Everyone seemed fine.

I feel light-headed, going from person to person, I check their thoughts as fast as I could but the ill intentions only got louder.

"Are you alright?" Someone asks, the voice coming out distorted and jumbled. I stare at the face but quickly ignore it, I'm running out of time.

When it's too late, I finally see them, their hands gripping a silver blade, looming over their unsuspecting victim. No. A person I had seen everywhere in the castle, one that I had put trust into, enough trust not to read their mind.

"Freeze," I scream, my voice sounding hoarse. The command hummed, travelling through the air in all directions, ricocheting off my target and breaking off. It didn't work?

Ash grabs my shoulders, his eyes burning into mine, "Elle! What are you doing?"

I struggle against his grip, choking out words, "let go! Let me go! He's in trouble!"

Breaking out of Ash's arms, I lunge in the direction of my uncle. Noticing the commotion between Ash and I, his eyes are on me. "James!" I warn but too late as his face contorts in pain.

Their hands, Jennie's hands come down quickly with the blade, she twists it making James cry out in agony.

"No," I shriek useless as Jennie pulls the bloodied blade from James, letting him crumple to the floor. Reaching James I catch him before he falls.

Ignoring all else, I frantically try to stop the bleeding, covering the wound with my shaking hands. It isn't working he's still losing blood, too much.

Wiping my blood-stained hands on my dress, I realise I can use this to help me cover the wound. Ripping a piece, I try to wrap it around him but at unsuccessful. I don't know how to do this. After an eternity of trying I give up, tears of frustration brimming in my eyes.

I need help, anyone, looking up, I find Eli, he stands unmoving, his expression blank. Clyde quickly pulls Eli into his arms, in an attempt to soothe his pain, but Eli's gaze never leaves James.

Hearing James gasp, I look down at him, "James," I whimper, "what should I do?" His hand comes up to my face, wiping a stray tear, I put my hands over his keeping it on my cheek.

James coughs, blood coming up, as he tries to speak, "don't cry, it- it's ok."

I shake my head, the tears now streaming down my face, "it's ok, you'll be ok."

His hand suddenly felt too cold and now I realised the only thing keeping it up was mine. Oh no. "No, no, no! You can't die!" I scream harshly. Taking uneven breaths, I whispered against James' unmoving chest, "You can't. Please don't leave me, you can't."

Blocking everyone out. I stayed silent as I rose my head. My eyes falling on Jennie, who was unconscious and being escorted out by two guards, to the dungeon no doubt.

I didn't move as Ash picked me up, sheltering me in his arms, he carried me away and I let him. I pushed my head into his chest and knew I was crying when his shirt was saturated with my tears.

"I'm sorry," I hiccup, clutching onto his shirt.

"It's ok," he says softly, entering our room, Ash takes us to the bathroom. Still holding me, I hear the taps running, "bath?"

I nod my head, Ash helps me out of my clothes before stripping. He sets me in the tub then slides in behind me. We sit in silence as Ash cleans the blood off my hands and washes my hair. After he finishes I relax into his arms, feeling my eyes grow heavy as I drift asleep.

When I wake, it's dark. I'm dressed in light pyjamas, and Ash's arms are around me but my eyes are wet with tears. I need to stop crying, what's done is done. I might not understand why Jennie did that but the damage has been dealt.

There's no point in baring hate towards her. It's just that it doesn't make sense, it doesn't seem like Jennie to do that. I shake my head.

Ash pulls me in closer still asleep. Snoring lightly, I smile. With him here, I'll be alright. Shutting my eyes, I snuggle in, falling back to sleep.

The next time I wake it's to Ash gently shaking me. "Hey," he says with a tray of food in his hand.

"Morning?" I smile, feathering a kiss.

He smiles kissing me back, "you wanna eat something, I got you a tuna sandwich." Even though he hates tuna, he still got me a sandwich.

Sleeping for so long, I felt like crap, "I think I'll shower first," I say, getting up too fast, I almost fall over, dizzy, but, quickly, lean on the dresser to steady myself.

Ash was already at my side, hands around my waist, "you ok?"

"Yeah, " I breathed shaking him off me. Walking straight to the bathroom, I lock the door once I'm inside and I slide against it. Slowly, sinking to the floor, the emotions hit me again.

My hands began to shake and my eyes blur and something not right. My shaking hands coursed with magic, red hot flames drawing patterns along my arms, the searing pain was numbed by my fatigue.

My emotions must be triggering this. The raw blisters ached and oozed as the pain began to set in when I was no longer tired. Stepping out of my clothes and into the shower I turned it to the coldest setting and let it cascade down my body.

I don't care what's happening, just anything to distract me from the recent events. I looked down into the plughole, watching the water disappear down it, I wish I could disappear too.

"Elle," someone knocks on the door. I hear multiple voices mixed together, they sound tense.

Ignoring it, I watch my arms glow red, as flames try to take over again but get extinguished by the water. I'm cold and it hurts so much, someone make it stop.

Suddenly an arm grabs me and I'm surrounded by warmth. "Elle, what were you doing?" Eli practically screams.

Ash quickly realises that I'm butt naked, "Eli close your eyes," he commands, Eli does as told and Ash swiftly wraps a robe around me.

His hands come to my cheeks as looks me up and down, seeing my damaged arms he sighs, "what happened?" He gently holds my arms in his hands and examines them.

"Can I open my eyes?" Eli queries, with his eyes still tightly closed. Now looking at him, I could see his eyes had faint dark circles and were slightly puffy.

"Yes," I reply, "I've got a robe on."

As soon as Eli opens his eyes they land on my blistered arms, he scrunches his face in pain and lets out a breath, "Elle," he murmurs in a disapproving tone.

"I didn't do it, well not on purpose anyway," I say, they won't, believe me, they probably think I'm making up excuses.

"I believe you," Ash says, his thumb accidentally grazing the side of a blister causing me to wince.

"Eli, stay with her for a moment, I'm going to get Dr Rhodes. I'll be back soon, try and keep her warm."

Giving me a quick kiss and final examination, Ash left.
——————————————————
Just met James and now he's dead, also Jennie killed him?!!

Elle's going through a tough time and being the only demon with no family member left messes with ya. Anyway until next time, right.

Also, this chapter is a big mess but I'm hoping once I finish this whole story, I'll go back and prune it so it's more fluid and not so blocky.

Coolio, so how's everyone doing? I'm decent got an extra weekend of school tomorrow to learn Arabic and Turkish. Ugh can't wait *rolls eyes*
Eh, it's not so bad.

See ya cinna buns later x

Enami out ;-)