Chapter 21 - History Lesson

"This is delicious," I say, stuffing my face with a handful of tea cakes.

"Slow down Love, the food isn't going anywhere," he quips with a gleaming smile.

Perched under the shade of a willow, Ash had set up a large blanket filled with picnic appropriate foods with throws and pillows for comfort.

My cheeks puffed with the amount I had in my mouth, chewing then swallowing it down, I give him a smile. Taking a sip of freshly squeezed juice, I reply, "I know but they taste so good."

After Ash changed into a pair of blue jeans and a white button down, I threw on a matching loose white dress and cute summer hat.

Placing another snack into my mouth, I noticed two figures a distance away by a bush of vibrant flowers.

Sensing my unease, Ash's gaze snaps to me then to where I am looking. Seeing him relax, a portion of the tension dissipates.

Instead of speaking I project, "who are they? Family?"

He nods, "family, the tall one is a Nightshade, my distant cousin Alexander. The smaller one is an Iris from my mother's side, Lillian."

My eyes return to the figures, who were now approaching us, "they are coming this way," my voice rising.

He places a hand on my thigh, "it's ok, I'm here, you're fine."

Both figures bow, then rise when Ash greets them, "Hello Alexander, Lillian. I'm grateful for you both being able to make it, please sit and join us."

Alexander, a tall frame with copper coloured hair and emerald eyes, takes a seat opposite Ash. "Asher, my man, it's been a while. Congratulations on being soon to be king and getting married," Alexander then turns to me, "and it is lovely to make your acquaintance Elouise, you must be one hell of a human to capture this vampire's heart," he jokes. "Gotta say you definitely got lucky with this catch, treat him good for us."

I smile, giving him a short nod, then squeezing Ash's hand, still laid on my thigh. "They think I'm human."

"I guess they assumed, we didn't exactly say what you are just your name and standing." He explains.

Our thoughts broken when Lillian speaks, her voice timid, "Asher," she acknowledges bowing her head, "Elouise, it's nice to meet you, and congratulations to you both," she says gently.

Her lilac dyed hair falling in front of her face as she bowed, her grey eyes meet mine. Giving her a small smile, she returns one back then shies away, avoiding my gaze.

"Please call me Elle, and thank you for coming. I'm happy to meet more of Ash's family," I address.

"Of course Elle, then please call me Alex and I'm sure the little squirt here won't oppose you calling her Lily," Alex speaks.

"That's ok," Lily squeaks.

"It's nice to meet you, Alex and you too Lily."

In response they both nod. Alex and Ash begin to converse, something about business.

Lily picks up a strawberry and takes small bites. "So," I say to her, "you're an Iris, right?" I ask already knowing the answer.

"Yes, I am, Julia is my aunt."

"Oh are you a vampire born?"

Lily thinks for a moment, then says, "Yep, I'm what we call a pure blood, so is Asher and Alex," she smiles.

"Does that mean both your parents also vampires?" I pause, "I'm being rude, sorry for asking so many questions," I apologise.

She lets out a little laugh, "no it's ok, I guess you'd be curious on all this."