Chapter 24 - Exciting News?

I've watched 3 different movies, eaten two bars of chocolate and a whole bowl of popped corn. Halfway through the second movie, I received a message from Ash that he'd come to see me in an hour.

It's been 2 hours and 14 minutes since then, not that I'm counting. Out of boredom, I flop onto the bed, then flip over staring at the ceiling.

A knock at the door sets me up straight, "come in," I respond. Freya comes into view, her sandy coloured hair tied up in matching braids and her grey eyes amplified by her glasses.

Jumping up I run over to her and embrace her in a hug, "hi Freya," I say while pulling away.

"Hello Elle," she responds, "how are you feeling?" She asks while prompting me to sit.

"Better than the last time you saw me but I have been feeling a little off," I say honestly.

She presses a hand to my head then pulls out a thermometer, "open please," she says placing the cold rod into my mouth, "off?" she asks, pulling the rod back out.

"Well," I start as she wraps a band around my bicep, "I've been feeling more dazed than usual and cold at random times," she nods her head, "I also um," I pause uncertainly on whether to share.

"Don't worry, doctor's honour, I won't be spilling any beans without your say so," Freya says crossing her chest.

I copy her action, "well, this morning I had this strong craving to drink blood. That's never happened before and I'd never want to drink blood, especially human blood. It would be like drinking Eli as if he was some sort of human juice box," I ramble, fiddling with my hands.

"Hmm," Freya looks as though she expected this, does she know what's wrong with me?

"Elle, give me your hands for a moment, I'm almost certain I know why you have been experiencing these symptoms but I need to make sure before I tell you," she says with a hint of a smile on her lips.

"Alright," I place my hands in Freya's. She closes her eyes and I feel the comforting hum of magic emitting from her hands. A second later she gasps lightly, her eyes open slowly as she lets go of my hands.

Her eyes gleam with excitement, "well?" I say, the curiosity eating away at me.

"You're pregnant," Freya announces.

"I'm pregnant," I repeat slowly, "me, there's a thing inside there," I look down at my stomach.

"Yes, pregnant tends to mean you are with child," she seems happy, should I be happy too? A child is a good thing so why don't I feel happy?

"Look Elouise," I'm breathing too hard, "calm down, it's ok. Take a deep breath in, hold, now exhale," Freya instructs me as she rubs circles on my back, "there we go, it's going to be ok, you're ok."

"It's too sudden to be pregnant, there's been so much going on. I don't think I can handle a baby right now." Doubts in my mind spring to life.

"Don't let those doubts cloud your judgement, the strong woman who walks these palace floors is you, the woman who is trying to unite this country is you and you Elouise can handle this baby. You won't ever be alone, you're surrounded by an inventory of extraordinary and unique individuals to support you. So this is the moment that you pull yourself together, this child needs that strong woman as much as you need her," Freya's eyes bare into my own filled with encouraging comfort.

"Ok," I reply.

"Ok?" She questions.

"Ok, you're right. I can do this and I will, but you're also right that I'm going to need help. It's going to start with you."

"Anything you need Elle."

"I've got questions, I don't know anything about being a mother, scratch that I don't even know the first thing about a supernatural pregnancy. I mean I'm guessing the fact that I'm part-demon and Ash a vampire will lead to mixed genetics?"

"This is where being a mother to a demi-blood is going to come in handy. Get comfortable, I'm going to give you a crash course on supernatural pregnancies."
.....
"Oh god, my head hurts from all the details," I groan, massaging my temples.

"Don't worry, I'll be here every step of the way to help," Freya's words give me peace of mind.

"Good I'll need it, but let me make sure I've got this much right. So a regular vampire pregnancy is accelerated but considering my demon blood it could be further accelerated to around 3 months till full development. Which explains the blood cravings, temperature drops and exhaustion-" I get interrupted as Freya adds.

"And also sudden shifts in mood, my theory is when you blacked attacking the previous pureblood your emotions took over again."

"Right," I confirm, memories of losing control over my actions to fuel my rage enter my mind, "my body should be able to provide nutrients for the baby as long as I'm eating on a regular basis and drinking liquids-"

"Including-" Freya starts but I interrupt her.

"Including at least a cup of blood a day, got it," I smile, "I'll try not to exert myself and sleep as needed. I think for now that's all, we can worry about how it's meant to come out and what to do from there later," I say half-jokingly half-serious.

She smiles and replies with, "of course, I'm sure I've wracked your brain enough for today, I'll be-"

"Wait," I stop her, "I have one more question before you go."

"I'm listening."

"Did you know a woman called Elizabeth Hills, well Elizabeth Thistle, after she married. People also knew her as-"

"Eliza," Freya finishes, "Yes, she was my sister and a Healer just like me. Why do you ask?"

"Well, she was my mother."

"That's impossible Elle, Eliza never had a daughter, just a single son. Not only that but you solely possess demon blood, both of your parents must have been pure-blood demons."

"Oh," parts of the puzzle begin to fit, "I guess that makes sense, it plays as a reason to why I could never express Healer magic and how I had no features in common with mu- Eliza, sorry." This whole time I've ignored such obvious facts, I need to stop being blind to what's right in front of me. "Peter is he..."

"Yes Peter Brooks, as you know him, is their child," Freya finishes my question, "James took it upon himself to care for Peter after Eliza and Conner passed, I was never sure why he changed Peter's surname but knowing James he must have had good reason to."

"Peter Thistle," I muse. I have a living relative, I think when a new thought dawns on me, I may not even be of Thistle blood.

Conner Thistle, the man who I thought to be my father, and Elizabeth Hills, the woman I thought to be my mother, are not who I believed them to be; then who are my actual parents?
——————————————————
Tea is being spilled this chapter, don't worry kids there's more tea to come. You better hold on tight cuz with these next few chapters are about to be bumpy.

See y'all later.

Enami out ;-)