chapter twenty

[ JEON WONWOO P.O.V ]

"Hello? W-Wonwoo-shii, please pick me up! I'm scared", the moment I heard Eunjae cooed pleadingly and sorrowfully through the other line, I was out of air. I tried to listen to her desperate voice as she explained, almost quiver in the chill air of the night. "Wonwoo, I'm begging you, right now. Seungcheol might catch after me if you didn't--"

"Eunjae, can you explain slowly? What on earth happened to you and Seungcheol?", my voice changed momentarily as I heard the name of Seungcheol. I heard it through her stuttering words— she was terrified of Seungcheol. Seungcheol did something bad to her. I knew it from the earlier, I knew something like this would happen yet she still screamed my name in tremble. "....Wonwoo-shii!"

"Eunjae, please give me your location immediately! Go get some help from the people nearby and I'll come to you shortly, please listen to me, will you?", there was a trace of anger in my voice as I spoke to Eunjae. I heard her hum. I heard her hiccups in silence. I heard one last sentence from her, "I will, but please come quickly". She ended the call. I briskly grab my coat, the car keys and rushed out of the condominium.

——

I arrive, car parks in front of the old ramyun restaurant outskirt of Seoul. I barge into the old building to find Eunjae hugging herself with a pair of the thin-layered arms. She curves a fake smile when the owner of the shop serves her a cup of hot tea— in attempt to make Eunjae feels more better after getting lost in the middle of nowhere. "Miss, have a drink while you're here", the woman offers. Eunjae nods so slightly and mutters a thank you in return without sensing my presence in the restaurant.

I watch her back facing me. Her back is shaking a bit as she leaves another silent sobs, trying to holding the tears as possible as she could. Nobody in the restaurant notices that she cries— it was just me. Seeing her crying like that makes me wonder what exactly has Seungcheol done to her. My fists are balling in frustrating. I couldn't let her cry, no more. I finally step out of the restaurant. Hand fumbles inside the pocket of my coat, reaching for my phone and text Eunjae.