Day 10

30 Days with Fina by JellOfAllTrades
Chapter 10

I sat silently on the swing, waiting for Fina to come around. We talked last night before she left that we would meet here in the seaside playground at 7 am.

"Pagigisingin ako ng maaga tapos di magpapakita." I muttered under my breath.

We had fun yesterday, wakeboarding and swimming. Fina asked me to teach her wakeboarding so I did. And although she seemed to understand what I was telling her, when she finally got into the water the only thing I heard was encouraging shouts that turned into panicking ones. After her failing the first time, she didn't have the courage to try again, saying "Masyadong masakit."

Its already 9 am and the sun is starting to hurt my skin. I stood up and left for the house. I couldn't even call it 'home' because home meant I wanted to be here. And I still hate being here.

Well, Fina's the only one making me want to be here in Quezon right now. But her not appearing again is kinda disappointing.

When I opened the screen door of the house, I was surprised to see that there's a group of people there. They all looked up at me weirdly.

"Jell!" Mamita called. She, like every time, is in the head of the group. "Akala ko mamaya pa ang balik mo?"

"Hi," I awkwardly greeted the group before answering Mamita. "My friend couldn't come so I thought tambay muna ako sa attic."

"Why don't you join us?" Mamita offered.

I frowned and then looked at the book that everybody is holding. "Err...What exactly am I joining?"

"Bible study." A girl who seemed to be around my age answered. She wore a blue blouse and a simple plaited white skirt. Probinsyana.

I smirked. "Uhh, no thank you. I'd rather watch The Fault in our Stars and replay Augustus' tragic death over and over again than sit in a Bible study since the torture it'll provide me is just the same."

I stalked away from the group and was already by the staircase when Mamita called me again.

"Jellane!" She said with that venomous voice. "Bumalik ka dito."

Okay, maybe that outburst wasn't necessary, but Fina not showing up on me again is really disappointing. And Jellane Ramos is not a nice person when disappointed. So look where it got me, I annoyed the fabulous matriarch of the Folloso family, Mamita.

I turned to look at Mamita and saw that she's giving me the death glare.

"Halika dito." She called.

I lazily made my way back to the group, giving the probinsyana girl earlier my panty-dropping charming smile.

"Mamita?" I said quite sarcastically, turning my gaze from the probinsyana girl to my grandmother. "Gusto niyo ba ng juice? Coffee? Snacks? Uutusan ko si Manang Pacing if you want me to."

"Maupo ka, Jellane." Again she said my name like it was some sort of joke. Her death glare disappeared and was replaced by some sort of amused look. Like I'm a monkey doing flips for her.

I only stood there, unsure of what to do. I have half a mind to not annoy Mamita anymore and just sit down and I have the other half thinking of going upstairs, pack my bags and go back to Manila alone. But yeah, the latter idea is going to be financial suicide. If I do so, I'm scratched off the will forever.

"Sumali ka na, Jellane. Baka maienjoy mo." The girl from earlier said. I only looked at her and suddenly remembered Fina. They have the same probinsyana aura that I find calming and sweet. I shook my head and regrettably sat down.

"Good choice." Mamita breathed. "Now, let's start?"

They started reading and the probinsyana girl offered to share her Bible with me. But I distractedly read it, not letting the 'wise' words sink in.

I've never been in a Bible study so I thought they just you know, read it. So after a long chapter they closed the book and look up at Mamita, whom I assume is the leader today.

"Dahil may bago tayong kasama, unahin na natin sya." Mamita announced. "Jellane, anong masasabi mo?"

I frowned. Okay, I wasn't expecting that. I should have paid some more attention.

"Ewan."

"Hindi mo ba naintindihan yung binasa natin?" Mamita's pencil eyebrow rose.

"I never understood the Bible." I shrugged. "I never understood why people like you take it to heart, but nevertheless, I respect you and let you be if you will respect me for not caring."

They gave me a look that seemed so insulted and wondering all at the same time. I just braced myself for whatever remark Mamita is going to say.

"Then what do you understand? What do you know that could help us right here?" Mamita finally said after a minute of silence.

"I...uh...err...Well, someone told me about St. Peter." I blurted out, remembering Fina's lecture that Sunday.

"What about him?"

"Uhmm...Simon is his original name. Pero pinalitan ni Jesus ng Peter...And Peter means rock." I mumbled. "Peter is the rock in which the church is built."

I couldn't even believe I'm actually talking about a Saint. What has Fina done to me? What kind of sorcery has she put on me to make a city girl like me talk about a Catholic saint that I don't even care about for all my life?!

"Hindi mo naiintindihan ang bibliya pero alam mo ang kwento ni St. Peter." Mamita said.

"A friend told me about him."

"And this...friend of yours. Sino siya?" Mamita said the word 'friend' like it has another secret meaning that she has to emphasize.

"Just...someone. It's not important." I shrugged and stood up. "Pwede na ba akong mauna? May kakausapin pa ako eh."

"Sige na," Mamita waved her hand and I left for the garden backyard.

I fished out my cellphone and immediately called for Jaime. He would know what's wrong with me, what's happening to me.

"Hi!"

"Jaime!"

"I'm currently busy with my babe so if you have something to say, you know what to do." And then there was an electronic beep.

"Jaime, it's me, Jell. Call me when you're not busy, I need to talk to you."

I ended the call and stared at my phone. Jaime always manages to disappear just when I need him. Great. My timing really does suck.

Okay, calm down. Nothing's wrong. This is just my mind getting weirded out with the information Fina is feeding me. I'm just adapting to the somewhat new environment.

Just then my phone rang and I quickly answered it, expecting Jaime.

"Jaime, buti--"

"Kalma, di ako si Jaime."

I groaned, recognizing the voice on the other line. "Kuya naman eh, bakit ba? May hinihintay akong tawag."

"Andito kami sa site ng school. Hinahanap ka ni mommy. Di mo pa pala sinasabi sakanya yung napagusapan nyo ni Mamita."

Wow. My day just got better.

"Sige, papunta na ako jan." And with that, I ended the call.

I wouldn't want to go back into the house if it meant seeing Mamita after excusing myself from the Bible study but she would wonder where I am so I thought better of it and went back into the house.

It seems like they're already done with the Bible study because now they're in the dining area, having merienda. I wove through the crowd and approached Mamita.

"Mamita, alis lang ako saglit. Pinapasunod ako nila mommy sa site eh."

"Oh eh di sige." Mamita just nodded, deep in conversation with a Church lady.

I was on my way to the door when someone called out my name. I turned around and saw the girl from earlier holding a cup of juice, approaching me.

"Jellane Folloso." She said.

"Actually, Folloso is my middle name. Ramos ako." I corrected her.

"Sorry," She seemed apologetic.

"Ayos lang. Mas kilala naman ang Folloso dito sa Calauag diba?" I smiled, trying to push the reminder of Fina to the back of my head. This girl is unnervingly like Fina!

"Ako nga pala si Angelica." She introduced herself.

"Oh, um...Nice to meet you, Angelica." I tried hard not to smile. Apparently, I managed to catch this girl's attention from my stunt earlier.

"Aalis ka ba?"

"Yeah. Pinapasunod kasi ako ng mom ko sa site na pagtatayuan namin ng school."

"Oh, ganun ba?"

"Yeah. So, I kinda need to go now." I jutted a thumb to the door and Angelica just nodded, disappointment obvious in her face.

"Sige, mukha namang magkikita pa tayo eh."

I frowned, unsure if we will meet again, but I have to go now so I said goodbye to her and left.

I took a tricycle to the site and found my parents, aunt Arlene and Kuya Ken all huddled up under a tent with the architect and engineers designing the place.

"Jellane!" Mom noticed me walking up to them and met me halfway. "May hindi ka sinasabi sakin."

"Hindi ko lang naman sinabi kasi ang alam ko alam nyo na."

"Ano nang plano mo?"

"I've made an appointment with the Mayor tomorrow. Siya yung may-ari ng lupa doon." I pointed to the eastern fenced side of the site.

"Sigurado ka na ba? Kasi sabi ng tita mo sakin kapag hindi mo daw nasunod yung gusto ni Mamita pinapatanggal niya sayo yang piercings mo." She seemed overly worried about me. Oh well, every mother is like that with their children.

"Ma, eto na yun eh. Sabi mo sakin kinukunsinti nya lang yung pagiging lesbian ko. If I do this, baka matanggap na rin nya ako sa wakas!"

"Jell, alam mo namang tanggap ka na namin ng daddy mo. Wag mo nang ipilit pa kay Mamita 'to."

I shook my head, already firm with my decision. "Ma, naaalala mo pa ba nung six ako?"

There was a time when I was six years old and Mamita brought me this huge teddy bear from the mall. I didn't even ask for it, she said she just saw me looking greedily at it so she decided to buy it for me.

My mother nodded. "Oo naman."

"Close kami diba? Sobra. Alam ng lahat na ako yung paboritong apo." I somehow regretted saying the favorite grandchild part but it's true, if I want to make my mom understand, she should know what I feel. "She even gave me this ring remember?" I showed her my pinky finger where the small golden ring is. "I love Mamita and I know she loves me too. Kaya nung umamin akong lesbian ako, akala ko talaga tatanggapin niya ako."

"That's the problem, Jell. She loves you too much. Kaya nung umamin ka, nasaktan siya."

"Na parang tinraydor ko siya?" I said. "Ganun din naramdaman ko, Ma. Kung mahal niya talaga ako, hindi niya dapat ako muntikan nang tanggalan ng mana. Hindi niya dapat pinapatanggal tong piercings ko. Hindi niya dapat ako ikinakahiya. Kasi kung mahal niya ako, tanggap niya dapat kung ano ako."

Mom seemed speechless and the sun is beginning to burn my skin so I held her arm and guided her under the shade of a nearby mango tree.

"Ma, look, kung magfe-fail ako dito, hindi parin magbabago ang katotohanang ganito na talaga ako. Hindi ko tatanggalin ang piercings ko at bahala na si Mamita kung tatanggalan niya ako ng mana." I said, knocking on the tree's trunk. "But if I succeed, may chance diba? A step closer to Mamita's acceptance."

"Hindi ko na alam kung anong gagawin ko sa iyong bata ka." Mom brushed a lock of hair from my face. "Ang ganda ganda mo pero...sayang ka talaga."

"Hindi ako 'sayang' mommy." I smiled. "I'm just living life on Hard Mode. Wala kasing thrill kapag nasa Easy lang ako eh."

She laughed at my video game reference. I remember back when we were kids and mom would join us, playing games on the PlayStation.

"So, itutuloy mo talaga 'to?"

"Yeah." I nodded.

"Kilala mo na ba si Mayor Entienza?" Mom asked, returning to the topic earlier.

I smiled. "Oh heck yeah. Nakapag-research na ako tungkol sakanya."

"Mag-iingat ka." Mom warned.

"Ma, alam nyo na kung ilang babae ang naging girlfriend ko diba?" I smirked. "How hard is it going to be for me to seduce a man who's not even going to make it hard for me?"

"Anong binabalak mo?" Mom's eyebrow rose in intrigue.

Mayor Luisito Entienza is known for his sexual harassment cases. I've read that he had six female secretaries just last year, all of them resigning after just two months of working for the perverted politician.

"Hindi ibinenta ni Mayor kina Uncle Rannie yung lupa kasi lalaki yung kausap nya. First look pa lang wala na siyang interest." I explained. "Ikaw na nagsabi mommy, maganda ako. Di pa naman ako totally mukhang lesbian so, with a little make-up, a nice dress and if possible, yung red high heels mo, I can make him say yes to me."

"Seryoso ka ba jan?" Mom looked flabbergasted. She hasn't actually seen me in a dress in six years since I attended the JS Prom on my 3rd year of High School because it was in my 4th year of High school when I came out of the closet.

"C'mon ma, kelan pa ako pumalya?" I smirked. "Jellane Ramos 'to. Pinalaki niyo akong ginagawa ang lahat para sa gusto ko."

"Pero alam mo dapat kung saan titigil." Mom warned. "Wag kang gagaya sa mga pagkakamali namin."

So she knew we're aware of her illegal Law Firm activities. And now she's trying to warn me from making the same mistakes.

"Ma, don't worry. I got this." I winked and turned my gaze to the eastern side of the site. "Tomorrow, Mayor Entienza will be selling me that land and he won't even get to touch a single strand of my hair."

---------------------------------------

A/N:
Kung inaakala nyong isusulat ko yung nangyari sa CamSur, nagkakamali kayo! Hahahaha
Hindi pa ba halata na ang bawat chapter ay panibagong araw sa buhay ni Jellane? Kung gusto ko ikwento yun, dapat andun na yun sa Day 9 pero wala naman so, bahala na kayo mag-imagine kung anong nangyari sa CamSur.

Eto lang masasabi ko:
I'm not the type of writer who would spoonfeed the information to my readers. I let them imagine, to think of what's happening to the characters when not in action. I want them to read between the lines because that's just how I work. And this is how this story will work :) hehehehe

So yeah, laters~