Day 25

30 Days with Fina by JellOfAllTrades
Chapter 25

Having prepared half of everything needed to be done by noon, I decided to stop by the hospital to see Fina and have lunch.

When I got there, I found Fina munching on a piece of bread while watching something on my brother's tablet computer. Since I said I have business to do and Tita Nani has work to attend to, I borrowed Kier's tablet and lent it to Fina so she won't get bored while we're out.

"Hello there, patient." I greeted, sitting on my usual chair.

"Hello, stranger." She turned her attention towards me, pausing the video she was watching. "Kumain ka na?"

"Hindi pa. But I brought food para dito na ako kumain." I showed her the take out I got. "What's that you're watching?"

"Music videos." She answered. "Wala akong mapanuod eh. Tapos ka na sa ginagawa mo?"

"Hindi pa. Pero I'll be done in a couple of hours."

"So kakain ka lang dito tapos alis ka na agad?"

I smiled. "Miss mo na agad ako?"

"Naiinip ako eh," She pouted those pale lips.

"Don't worry, I'll be back soon," I promised, smiling at the thought of her birthday surprise.

The truth is, I haven't greeted her Happy Birthday yet and I'm acting as if I don't know. Tita Nani did the same too as I requested and Fina's already showing disappointment that we forgot.

After I ate my lunch, I bid Fina goodbye and dashed off to see if the cake I ordered is already done. The balloons I requested will be delivered to the venue soon and the catering service I called last night is already halfway ready.

Good thing too that we have contacts around town because we managed to reserve the Calauag Livelihood Center in such short notice. Luck is also on my side because there are no reservations made today.

Now all I have to do is invite Fina's friends. I spoke to Gerald and Mary to contact anyone they know that is close to Fina while I'll visit the Orphanage and get the children to attend.

I entered the DSWD shelter and looked around. The woman I scared the last time I was here saw me and smiled. "Anong kailangan nila?"

"Hello po, ako po yung kaibigan ni Fina." I introduced myself. "Jellane Folloso-Ramos po."

I hated using my middle name for influence but I needed the push it can give me with the favor that I'm about to ask her.

"Ay nako, hija. Wala dito ngayon si Fina." She answered, approaching me.

"Alam ko po, ate--"

"Sally,"

"Ate Sally," I nodded, remembering her name. "Sa katunayan po niyan ay nasa hospital po si Fina dahil sa sakit niya."

"Aruy, jusko. Anong nangyari sa kanya?" She sounded concerned.

"Something in her liver," I answered. I don't really have the right to tell her about Fina's illness so I'll just act as if I don't know the full details.

"Talaga?" Ate Sally wondered aloud. "Ano kayang nangyari sa kanya? Para naman siyang walang sakit ay."

"Matagal na rin ho ata siyang may sakit. Pero Ate Sally kasi, since nasa hospital po siya ngayon tapos birthday pa niya--"

"Birthday niya?!" Ate Sally sounded surprised by the news. "Aba'y, kemalas naman na bata. Sa ospital pa talaga magbi-birthday."

"Ayon na nga po," I said, trying to keep my patience. "Ayokong sa ospital siya mag-celebrate kaya nagayos po ako ng onting salo-salo sa may livelihood. Baka po pwedeng magpunta yung mga bata?"

Ate Sally was taken aback by my request that she was silent for a full minute, thinking about it.

"Sige na, ate Sally. Para na din sa mga bata. I'm sure they'll be happy to see Fina."

She thought about for a few more seconds before finally conceding. "Sige na nga. Mapapakiusapan ko naman siguro sila Mrs. Carandang at matagal nang tumutulong si Fina dito."

"Good!" I happily said. "Fina would be glad! So, Ate Sally, punta na lang po kayong livelihood ng mga alas cinco mamaya?"

"Sige sige,"

"Salamat po, ako'y mauuna na't may gagawin pa po ako."

"Sige, Jellane. Ingat ka."

I left the DSWD center and proceeded to the livelihood center to check on the monoblock table and chairs that I've rented. The place looks too plain with the red table covers and the blank stage. I called the balloons I ordered and asked when they will be ready for delivery.

After a few minutes of ending the balloon call, they arrived and started to decorate the place.

Mary calling...

"Hello?" I answered immediately.

"Ate Jell, nag-hire na din pala ako ng clowns para sa mga bata. Okay lang ba?"

"Okay lang, buti naisipan mo."

"Naginstruct na din ako sa kanila na magisip ng games kasi nga kulang tayo sa paghahanda at di na natin maasikaso yun."

"Good, good." I agreed. The games would keep the children occupied. "Yung pinapaimbita ko, na-contact niyo ba?"

"Karamihan ng kabatch ni ate Fina sa Manila na nagaaral. Iilan na lang ang natitira dito sa Calauag kaya yun lang nacontact namin. Si kuya naman kinakausap pa yung ibang naging kasamahan nila ni Ate Fina sa Student Government."

"That's good enough for me. Sa tingin mo, ilang tao makakapunta?"

"Bente na yung na-confirm ko. Tatawagan ko pa ba iyong naging teachers niya sa school?"

"Ilan yun?"

"Di ako sure pero baka sampu din silang mahagilap ko." Mary answered over the phone.

"Sige na, pang isang daan naman yung inorder ko sa catering. Kasya pa yun."

"Isang daang katao? Ang dami naman!" Mary exclaimed. "Andami mo atang pera?"

"Nagi-invest kasi ako." I chuckled, grateful for all the time I spent investing my saved money in Manila.

"Eh di ikaw na mayaman. Sige na, Ate Jell. Madami pa akong tatawagan at pupuntahan."

"Ingat ka. Bye."

She ended the call and I continued to direct the people on decorating the venue.

By four o'clock, everything is set so I went back to the hospital where Fina is sleeping, watched over by her loving parents.

"Okay na, Jell?" Tita Nani asked me.

I nodded, seeing the excited twinkle in her eyes. "Ayos na po. Si Fina na lang ang kulang."

"Gisingin na natin siya."

Gently calling Fina awake, I held her cold hands and thought about everything that I did for her today. I really do hope she'll like it.

"Fina? Fina, gising ka muna, pwede?"

She opened her eyes and sleepily smiled at me. "Hi, Jell."

"Sorry, ginising kita."

"Okay lang,"

"Pwede bang magbihis ka muna?" I ask. "May pupuntahan tayo."

"San tayo pupunta?" She asked, rubbing her eyes.

"Di pwedeng sabihin. Pero sige na, bihis ka na. Binilhan kita ng damit."

I showed her the mint green dress I got for her. I know her favorite color is white but I thought it would be a lot better is she would wear a different color that would suit her, too, since she's always in white.

Fina slowly moved and Tita Nani helped her get dressed. After that, we left the hospital. I've already gotten permission from her doctor to take Fina out for the night provided that we won't tire her too much and that if anything goes wrong, we would dash her back to the hospital.

When we stopped in front of the Calauag Livelihood Center, I helped Fina get out of their tricycle while Mr. Romulo readied the wheelchair I borrowed for Fina.

"Anong ginagawa natin dito?" Fina asked me.

"May sinabi kasi sakin si Tita Nani kagabi and I thought, since it's your first birthday with me, hindi ko hahayaang sa hospital ka lang mag-celebrate." I pushed her wheelchair inside the venue and she took in all of the preparations we did.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ATE FINA!" The children of the orphanage shouted all together.

The crowd began to sing Happy Birthday while I went to the table to get the cake. Mary lighted the candle for me and then I started to make my way to Fina.

As I knelt in front of her, holding her birthday cake, I saw the tears in her eyes.

"Happy birthday, happy birthday, happy birthday to you!" The song ended.

"Happy 20th birthday, Fina. Make your wish." I said.

She smiled at me and closed her eyes to make a wish. After a couple of seconds, she blew the candle and the hall exploded in applaud.

"Anong hiniling mo?" I asked.

Fina just smiled at me. "Wala akong hiniling. Nag-thank you lang ako kasi lahat naman na ng gusto ko andito na."

Her answer made me smile more and I wiped her tears away. "Happy Birthday, Fina."

"Thank you, Jell."

The party started and the clown Mary hired started to do some magic tricks to entertain the children. Meanwhile, Fina's schoolmates approached her to greet her a happy birthday and also to give her whatever they managed to bring as a gift in such short notice.

Fina is smiling the whole time, laughing along with the kids at the clown's jokes, and even cheering at the games. I was even forced to join the newspaper dance, paired with a girl who I noticed is quite close to Fina.

As we danced, she eyed me almost teasingly that I immediately sensed something with her.

"Salamat sa paghahanda para kay Fina." She said to me after the music stopped and we jumped into the newspaper's length.

"Wala yun," I looked away, trying not to mind the proximity.

"Sabi sakin ni Tita Nani kagabi mo lang daw nalaman yung birthday ni Fina." She said conversationally.

"Kagabi nga lang nga," I answered as we parted and I folded the newspaper in half.

We began dancing again and I can't help but notice how strikingly similar she is to Fina. It's like they're almost twins with the way they talk, dress, and overall act. Save for their face because Fina's a lot prettier than this girl. Although she is pretty in her own way, too.

The music stopped again and we both squeezed ourselves to fit the newspaper.

"You look familiar," I said.

"Nagkita na tayo before." She answered. "Sa bahay niyo."

"Talaga?" I wondered. "Kelan?"

"Nung nag-Bible study kami. Ako yung nagpahiram sayo ng Bible."

"Oh," So she was that girl.

We parted again as another team was put off the game. I folded the newspaper in half again and thought that it's too small for both of us to step in.

"Kailangan na ata kitang buhatin dito," I said to her as we danced.

"Kaya mo kaya ako?" She mused, dancing sexily around me. Okay, did she meant that in the way that I thought she meant that?

I blinked at her, imagining Fina doing the same dance to me. I shook my head and thought that Fina would never do that.

The music stopped and with one swift motion, I carried the Bible girl like I carried Fina that day on the letter C.

People started to jeer at us because they weren't expecting I'd be able to carry her bridal style because the other team was in piggyback.

"Ang lakas mo ah?" She noted.

"Magaan ka lang," I answered back, folding the newspaper in half again as another team was put off the game. There are only two teams remaining now.

"Parang sinabi mo na ding sexy ako," She chuckled, starting to dance again.

I ignored her comment and just danced casually. I took a glimpse at Fina and saw her smiling at us and I smiled back, glad that she's having fun.

Distracted at Fina, I didn't notice the music has stopped so with a jump, my partner hugged me around the neck and locked her legs around my waist. With a slight struggle, I moved to the newspaper and tiptoed to stay inside.

People cheered as they counted to ten to see who could stay in their places.

It's true that my partner isn't heavy but my tiptoe position is making my feet hurt. I wished the game would end soon and just before the crowd reached the count of ten, the other team lost their balance and stepped out of the newspaper line.

Everybody cheered as me and my partner won the newspaper dance.

"And congratulations sa nanalo na si--?" The clown asked.

"Jell," I answered.

"Angel," My partner said.

"PALAKPAKAN NATIN SI JELL AT SI ANGEL!" He announced.

I returned to Fina's side.

"Ang galing mo pala sumayaw?" Fina said to me as I drew a chair beside her.

"Ikaw ba naman magparty every week sa Manila?" I chuckle. "Sa dinami dami ng pinuntahan kong clubs nakakahiya naman kung di pa rin ako marunong sumayaw hanggang ngayon."

Fina nodded. "Magaan ba si Angel?"

"Parang ikaw lang,"

She nodded again and turned her attention to the center of the hall where they've set up chairs for the Trip to Jerusalem game.

When the clock struck eight, the orphans said goodbye to Fina and are escorted back to the orphanage. The grownups stayed for another two more hours but because we don't want to tire Fina too much, Tita Nani and Mr. Romulo escorted her back to the hospital. I stayed behind to see to the end of the party and to finish everything that I have to finish with the party.

It is already past twelve when I finished and got to the hospital.

I was expecting to see Fina asleep but she's still awake and reading one letter she received from an orphan. Tita Nani is already sleeping on her chair and Mr. Romulo is there beside his wife, sleeping, too.

"Gising ka pa?" I whispered.

"Hindi pa ako makatulog," Fina smiled brightly at me. She's already changed into her hospital clothes but she still looks pretty as she is earlier.

"Ano yang binabasa mo?"

"Birthday card na ginawa sakin ni Karlo." She showed me the Crayola drawing of a heart and messy writing of I love you ate Fina. Happy Birthday!

"Cute," I sat beside her on her bed and put my arm around her. "Happy birthday again, Fina."

"Thank you," She hugged me. "Sobrang saya ko ngayon."

"Buti natuwa ka. Ang hirap nung ginawa ko ha? Kagabi ko lang nalaman yung birthday mo."

"Kaya nga thank you eh." She pinched my nose. "Kasi ang dami mong ginawa para matuloy yung birthday party ko. Thank you."

"Ang lakas mo sakin eh," I hugged her back. "Oo nga pala, di ko pa naibibigay yung regalo ko."

"May regalo ka pa?" She leaned away from me.

"Yep," I held her hand. "And I want you to know na sobrang importante nito para sa akin."

I took off the small golden ring on my pinky finger and inserted it to her ring finger where it fit her snugly.

Fina's eyes grew wide at what I did and I answered her before she could even ask. "I want you to have this not because may galit ako kay Mamita and I want to get rid of this but because I want you to have something that is extremely important to me."

"Pero, Jell..." Fina is speechless.

"Wag ka na umangal. Ibibigay ko pa rin naman talaga to sayo kahit hindi mo Birthday eh." I smiled and kissed her on the forehead. "Happy Birthday, Fina."

"Thank you, Jell."

_____________________

A/N:

Okay guys, saka ko na iuupdate yung Day 26 hanggang ending ha? Isusulat ko pa eh. Pero promise, once I finish it, isang bagsakan na lang yun.
I'll try to finish the book before my vacation ends sooooo, sit tight!

Happy Holidays!
Ciao!