Day 23

30 Days with Fina by JellOfAllTrades
Chapter 23

I just sat on the chair beside Fina's bed, watching her chest rise and fall as she breathe deeply while asleep. A couple of hours after my mother came, they said something about Fina's something stabilizing and then had her transferred into a room with two other patients.

My mother is outside the room with Mrs. Romulo, talking to Fina's doctor. My cousin Gerald had volunteered to get Fina's mother here earlier when he heard the news. Mr. Romulo must have been called too because as soon as Fina's mother got here, her husband came bustling in after her.

I held Fina's hand tightly, grateful that she's better though I'm still wishing she'd wake up now. The oxygen mask they've put on her to help her breathe is making her look more fragile than she already is.

My mom came in with Mrs. Romulo and they approached Fina's bed, looking pitifully at me. Gerald brought me a change of shirt earlier because mom was so shocked to see me covered with Fina's dark blood. But I guess despite cleaning up in the small hospital bathroom, I still look haggard.

"Okay ka lang?" My mom asked again, rubbing my back. She's worried about me because I haven't been worried like this for anyone before.

"I'm fine. Anong sabi ng doctor?"

"Fina's blood toxicity level rose kasi hindi nagwo-work ng maayos yung liver niya. Napuno ng dugo yung stomach niya kaya siya nagsuka." Mom explained, looking exhausted.

Fina's mother caressed her daughter's cheeks as she whispered something to her. We just watched from the other side of the bed and again, I hoped Fina would wake up now.

"Nagugutom ka na ba?" Mom asked. "Bili muna tayo ng pagkain, gusto mo?"

"Ayoko siyang iwan." I answered, my eyes still focused on Fina.

"Sige na, Jell. Hindi naman aalis agad si Fina sa kama niya."

"Gusto ko andito ako pag gumising siya."

"Sige na nga," Mom conceded, rubbing my back again. "Bibili lang akong pagkain."

After mom left, Mrs. Romulo looked at me and smiled a tired smile at me.

"Salamat,"

"Dapat nga po akong mag-sorry sa inyo," I sighed. "Hindi na dapat kami nagkita ni Fina sa playground."

"Wag ka na magpaliwanag. Wala namang may gusto ng nangyari." Mrs. Romulo said. "Alam naman niya kung kaya niyang lumabas ng bahay. Buti na lang talaga at kasama mo siya."

We both looked at Fina. It's already almost two o'clock in the morning and she still hasn't woken up. They said she's all right and we just have to let her rest but I'm still worried. Not that I don't trust the doctor but seeing her awake even for just a second is all I need to be relieved.

"Si Mr. Romulo po?" I inquired, remembering that Fina's father disappeared hours ago.

"Namamasada," Mrs. Romulo answered. "Kailangan namin ng dagdag na pera para sa pagpapagamot ni Fina."

I felt my heart constrict at that. With a gulp, I remember having saved some money in the bank from a few investments I made in Manila. After all, I'm taking up a double degree in economics, what a shame it would be if I still haven't applied what I've learned.

"Hayaan niyo po, tutulong ako sa pagpapagamot niya." I offered. "At saka naghahanap na din po ako ng possible donors for her. Sa katunayan may ilan na akong nakausap na nangakong tutulungan nila si Fina."

Mrs. Romulo's eyes grew wide and she covered her mouth with her hands. "Jell," She muttered, teary-eyed. "Maraming salamat!" She reached out for my hand and squeezed.

"Pinaguusapan po namin ni Fina iyon bago siya nagsuka." I recalled. "Sigurado siyang matutuwa kayo and I guess tama siya."

"Hindi mo alam kung gaano kasakit para sa amin na itigil ang treatments niya." Mrs. Romulo said. "Parang nagpatalo na din kami sa sakit niya. Hulog ka ng langit, Jellane Folloso."

"Jell na lang po," I smiled. "Saka Ramos po ang apelyido ko."

My mom came back with bowls of congee, placing it on the small table at the foot of Fina's bed.

"Wala nang bukas na tindahan. Buti na lang bukas pa sila Cely." Mom said, opening one bowl and handing it to me.

My stomach growled at the smell of ginger, pepper, and fish sauce. My worry about Fina made me forget to eat dinner.

"Maraming salamat sa inyo," Mrs. Romulo said, accepting the bowl mom handed her.

"Wala iyon," Mom said. "Kaibigan ni Jell si Fina. Tutulong kami sa nangangailangan."

Fina moaned and because of her sudden movement, I stood up and moved closer to her side, holding her hand.

"Fina?"

She moaned again and her eyes opened.

"Fina?" I called again.

She coughed and then smiled. "Jell," She said in a low and raspy voice.

I let out a relieved sigh. "Gusto mo ng tubig?"

She nodded and mom handed Mrs. Romulo a plastic cup of water. Mom then left and called for a nurse.

"Maraming salamat sa Diyos at nagising ka na." Mrs. Romulo sobbed at Fina's side.

Fina just smiled at her mother. "Si papa po?"

"Namamasada, anak."

"Sorry po," Fina said, wearily.

"Wag mo na isipin iyon. Ang mahalaga'y okay ka na. Magpagaling ka na anak ha?" Mrs. Romulo kissed her on the forehead.

Fina nodded and then turned to me. "Jell,"

"Fina,"

"Sorry you had to see that," She apologized.

"It's all right." I squeezed her hand lightly. "Basta magpagaling ka na."

"Mabigat ba ako?" She smiled.

"Ang gaan mo," I joked. "Ni hindi ako nahirapang itakbo ka dito."

"Tumakbo ka lang?!" Her eyes grew wide and she coughed again.

"Joke lang!" I worried again, helping her drink more water. "Nakakuha kami ng tricycle pagdating sa port. But the rest of the dock, I ran carrying you."

Fina let out a deep sigh and then winced.

"Fina, anak, may masakit ba?" Mrs. Romulo asked.

"Okay lang po ako, ma." Fina tried to convince us. "May kumirot lang."

I stood up. "Tawag lang akong doktor."

But before I can leave the room, mom came in with the doctor and a nurse. I followed them back to Fina's bed.

He asked Fina a few questions and checked her vital signs. We just watched from the foot of Fina's bed.

After checking her, the doctor came to us.

"Umaayos na ang lagay niya pero kailangan pa namin siyang bantayan kasi baka maipon na naman yung dugo sa tiyan niya. Pag nangyari iyon kailangan naming idrain." He explained.

"Sige, salamat po, doc." Mom nodded.

We returned to Fina's side as the doctor and the nurse left.

"Narinig mo si dok," Mrs. Romulo said to her daughter. "Pagaling ka na ha?"

"Pahinga ka na, Fina. Dito lang kami." I said, smiling at her tired look.

Fina nodded and closed her eyes. "Goodmornight," she whispered.

Mrs. Romulo kissed Fina on the forehead again before sitting down on her chair.

Mom tapped me on the shoulder. "Tara na? Para makapahinga ka na din."

"Dito muna ako," I answered. "Uuwi na lang ako mamayang umaga para maligo."

"Sigurado ka?" Mom asked.

I nodded and mom turned to look at Mrs. Romulo. "Una na ako, Nani."

"Salamat, Tina." Mrs. Romulo nodded. "Ingat ka."

Wow, I didn't even know they're in a first name basis now. They must have talked a lot while they were outside of the room, talking to the doctor about Fina's condition.

"Sigurado ka bang ayaw mo munang umuwi?" Mrs. Romulo asked.

"Okay lang po ako dito,"

"Sige na, matulog ka na." Mrs. Romulo said, still holding Fina's hand.

The chair I'm sitting on is just another monoblock one. Not sure how I'm going to sleep, I just put my head down on Fina's bed, holding her cold hand as I make my arm a makeshift pillow.

"Goodnight, Fina." I whisper, kissing her cold fingers.

The next day, after Fina has woken up and had a soft breakfast, I told her I'll be going home for a shower and I'll be back before she even wakes up for lunch. She nodded and I kissed her on the forehead before I left.

When I got back to the ancestral house, I had the misfortune to find Mamita, mom, uncle Rannie, and the family lawyers discussing my case in the dining area. I ignored their calls and went up straight to my room to get some clothes.

Getting my towel, I continued to the bathroom to get a quick shower. I may have wiped away some of Fina's blood on me but there are still some left while I was scrubbing myself.

After making sure I'm clean, I finished the shower and went back to my room to change. As I was pulling on my pants, there was a knock on my door.

"Jell?" It was my mom's voice.

"Teka, nagbibihis ako." I shouted back. After zipping my pants and pulling on a fresh new shirt, I opened the door and mom went in.

"Gusto ka makausap ni Mamita," Mom said.

"Well, ayoko muna siyang makausap." I answered, putting my socks on.

"Sige na, Jell?" Mom pleaded.

"Ayoko, ma." I shook my head. "Sawa na ako sa makitid na pagiisip niya. Nakakasakal, nakakasakit, nakakainis."

"Please, Jell. Give Mamita a chance."

"I gave her too many chances, Ma!" I put my shoes on and stuffed my wallet to my pocket. "If she can't accept me or she won't stop whatever evil she's going to do, then I'd rather pretend I don't know her."

After securing my wristwatch and my new replacement phone, I went out of the room just to be surprised by Mamita standing by the door. She looked at me with those cloudy black eyes that for the first time displayed pain.

She must have heard what I said and I wanted to tell her I'm sorry, that I really didn't mean that. But I knew that if I won't stay my ground she'll continue on with her plan of ruining the lives of the family of my attackers and I don't want that. I can't stand the idea that she's doing that for me. So without saying anything, I passed by her and left the house again.

Contemplating what I've done, I decided to walk the distance to the hospital. It's not really that far. Just twenty or thirty minutes away from the ancestral house. All I have to do is continue on west of the Quezon street until I see the tall white facade of the hospital.

While walking, I passed by a store that sells toys, clothes, and other house items. I saw a Rubik's cube on one shelf and I thought of getting one for Fina. I'm not sure if she'll enjoy playing with it but I guess it can be enough of a distraction for her since she might be staying in the hospital for a few more days.

I went into the store and bought the cube. Next, I bought us some lunch before going to the hospital.

When I got there, I found Fina asleep and Mrs. Romulo reading the Bible beside her bed.

"Mrs. Romulo, lunch po." I offered her the food, putting it down on the table on the foot of Fina's bed.

"Salamat, Jell." She smiled kindly at me. "Kumain ka na ba?"

"Hindi pa po," I answered. "Kain po tayo?"

"Sige," She accepted the paper box I gave her and took a pair of plastic spoon and fork from the plastic bag.

"Kumusta po si Fina?" I inquired, settling down on my chair.

"Nakatulog din agad siya pagkaalis mo." Mrs. Romulo said. "Gisingin mo na lang daw siya pagkabalik mo,"

I nodded, looking at Fina's sleeping figure. They've taken the oxygen mask earlier this morning so she just looks like she's sleeping in her own house rather than in a hospital.

Since Fina couldn't digest hard solid foods, her diet consisted of oatmeal and a soft bread which is on stand by at the table on the foot of her bed. Water is within reach too because she needs to be constantly hydrated.

"Fina?" I held her hand and called her softly awake. "Fina, gising na. Andito na ako."

She moaned but only turned her head to one side.

"Fina, gising ka na. Kain na tayo oh?" I called her again.

She moaned again and opened her eyes.

"Goodmorning," I greeted her.

She smiled at me. "Anong oras na?"

"A little past eleven," I answered. "Kain na tayong lunch? Gutom ka na ba?"

She nodded and I retrieved her bowl of oatmeal and a couple slices of bread.

I took the spoon and fed her. She was shy at first but since she couldn't argue with me, she just ate. She ripped the bread to small pieces and took small bites of it, smiling every time at me.

After she ate, I took the Rubik's cube I bought earlier and handed it to her.

"Para sa'yo,"

Fina's eyes brightened at the cube. "Thank you!"

"Marunong ka?"

She shook her head, reading the instructions that came with the packaging of the cube. "Ikaw, marunong ka?"

I smiled. "Tinuruan ako ng kaibigan ko noong high school."

"Turuan mo ako?"

"Pakainin mo muna ako," I smiled, taking my lunch from the table. "Paglauran mo muna. Mamaya na kita tuturuan."

She nodded and started to turn the cube's sides. For a moment Fina didn't look sick and I hoped she would get well soon so that she can go home. I hate being in the hospital, it smells too much of bleach.

"Hoy, bilisan mo na kumain!" Fina said to me.

I snorted. "Wag mo kong pagmadaliin, we're not going anywhere."

She smiled. "Bilisan mo na lang, please?"

"Para kang bata," I commented.

"Matanda ka na kasi," She said and stuck her tongue out at me.

If not for her paleness and the yellowness of her eyes, I really could mistake her for being healthy. She's just that strong--or maybe just that good of an actress.

__________________
A/N:

Dun sa Day 22 na binanggit ni Jellane na ginamit niya yung pangalang "Sora" isang beses sa babae, joke dapat yun. Dapat "Heaven" ang sasabihin niyang pangalan niya para pagsumigaw na sa kama yung babae, "HEAVEN" ang isisigaw nito.

Ginawa ko lang Sora kasi parang wala sa character ni Jellane ang gumamit ng girly name katulad ng Heaven. HAHAHAHA