CH27:Their Beginning

Ienari stared. Straight ahead, unseeing and emotionless. His hands were stained, a copper tang in the air.

"Otou-sama, have I done a good job?" He asked, voice devoid from any emotion.

Jerad chuckled, ruffling Ienari's hair. Stained red, along with the rest of their surroundings.

"Yes," he smiled, eyes crinkling with a sadistic glee. He took in the carnage, and chuckled lowly, "Yes, my dear. I'm so proud of you."

Ienari leaned into the touch.

A slight noise, a warbled mix between a whimper and a grunt, caught both their attentions. Jerad's eyes narrowed.

"Oh? Seems like the cockroach is still alive," Jerad sighed, rather theatrically. "Well, it doesn't matter. Ienari-kun, do it."

And Ienari charged forward, just as the man screamed, holding up his mangled arm.

"Have mercy, please!" He begged, but his pleas fell on deaf ears. "Monster!"

His last words, before a final blow to the heart stopped his bubbling sob. The man was dead.

Just like his five other companions.

Politicians – the worst kind, drunk and hollering like animals as they'd been celebrating their latest campaign victory.

"Was that mercy, Otou-sama?" Ienari's eyes seemed to gleam under the moon's soft glow. A fleeting little thing, before it was quickly squashed away.

Jerad's lips tightened.

Seems like this will be harder than I thought.

"Of course, Ienari-kun," he said instead, plastering on another smile as he gestured for the boy to follow. "Everyone in this world is a monster, boy. We're showing them mercy by putting them out of their misery. Don't you ever doubt that."

And under the moonlight, the boy nodded once, grip tightening on his blade as he considered, but is that really true?

A quiet little part of him that was quickly stowed away. The only part of him left that he wanted to keep.

---

Kat sighed tiredly. It was beginning to become a common occurrence now, these sighs. She could see the stress lines that were lining her face in the mirror; face gaunt and almost haggard.

Another morning in the bathroom.

She tugged her lips up and tried to smile.

Plastic. Utterly plastic. She was so tired.

What would you do if you were still here, Tsu-kun?

But Tsuna wasn't here, not really. And he hated seeing her upset.

"Alright, enough moping!" she frowned, washing up instead before making her way down to the dining room to greet the guardians.

"Good morning," she greeted them tersely, and was met with several exurbant replies.

"How was your morning, haha?" Yamamoto's cheery question left an irrational spike of annoyance in her chest. There was an anger there that she tried to ignore, even as it bled into her vision and caused her fists to clench.

So we're doing this now?

"It was fine," she said, watching as Yamamoto's smile grew wider. The guardians were all chattering excitedly. The atmosphere was lighter than in years.

"We'll get to see Jyuudaime soon!"

"EXTREME! I EXTREMELY CANNOT WAIT!"

It truly was a testament of how good Gokudera's mood was, that he hadn't even berated Ryohei for his loud volume.