- TWENTY-ONE -

"So when we say goodbye today... Would you mind if I...kissed you?" The last phrase is said rather than sung, voice so quiet it's almost inaudible.

Jeongguk's big doe eyes widen at Taehyung's question, the younger boy backing away slightly. Taehyung chews his lip nervously, immediately regretting his question.

"Was that..." Jeongguk takes a shaky breath, his voice quaking. "Was that a lyric suggestion, or...?"

Laughing bitterly, Taehyung shakes his head and stands up abruptly. "God, Jeongguk, why do you always have to ruin the mood? No, that was a genuine question. I'll be going." And with that he's out the door, leaving his dongsaeng alone.

Taehyung isn't mad, at least not with Jeongguk. As he walks away, all he can think about is how stupid he is. The fact that he for a moment managed to get his hopes up for nothing and then blurted it out in the spur of the moment, making Jeongguk feel weird. Terrific, Tae, you screwed up.

You know what? Perhaps Taehyung is angry with Jeongguk. He's absolutely furious at him for being so oblivious, and for making him suffer like this everyday. It makes him sad, he's been trying so hard to get closer to Jeongguk, and to what benefit? Sure, the brunette had never backed away when Taehyung took his hand or embraced him, but he had never been the first to initiate any type of contact either. And it doesn't help that the kid can be really annoying and-

"Hyung!" An all too familiar voice echoes through the woods, making Taehyung turn around. He starts walking hurriedly the same way he came from, back to the little house. What could Jeongguk possibly want now? Maybe...just maybe he... No, Taehyung won't think about it.

"What is it?" he asks as he reaches Jeongguk, who's now standing on the lawn outside, holding a brown backpack.

"You forgot your bag." He reaches his arm out, handing Taehyung his backpack. Said boy's heart sinks because once again, he expected too much.

"Oh, thanks." Taehyung takes it and starts to walk again, leaving the other behind.

"And not at all," Jeongguk speaks up again, confusing his hyung.

"What?"

"I... I wouldn't mind at all."

"Oh."

And so they stand there in silence a few meters away from each other for a moment, neither knowing what to say. Jeongguk is looking at his hands while Taehyung is watching his own shoes intensely, both boys just wanting to escape.

"You know, as many times as I daydreamed of this moment..." Jeongguk speaks up first, the words melting Taehyung's heart and all the tension is gone quicker than it came.

"Let me guess, you never imagined it being this awkward?"

"Y-yeah." Jeongguk looks up, making eye contact with Taehyung. Small smiles appear on both boys' faces as Taehyung takes a step towards to the younger. Two steps, three steps, until the two are less than a meter apart.

"I'm sorry for walking away." Taehyung reaches his hand out, gently grabbing Jeongguk by the jawline. "Let me try again."

The bunny-like grin on Jeongguk's face is growing wider and wider, eyes sparkling.

"May I kiss you, Ggukie?"

A nervous nod is all it takes. Their eyes close, faces approaching each other. Taehyung keeps a hand on Jeongguk's jaw, the other wrapping around his back. Jeongguk moves his hands up to around the older's neck, pushing his head closer.

And then Tae's lips are on his.

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY YO SO HERE'S A SHORT BUT HOPEFULLY KINDA CUTE CHAPTER TO FEED YOU YO BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME BUT I HOPE YOU LIKE IT YO