32. Norman X Guardian Angel!Reader

Requested by Kinishinai-Chan
                              • • • • •

The little bell above the office door jingled and you looked up from your novel. The Bates Motel had been going through a slow spell – well, slower than normal – and you were surprised to see a customer at all.

"Welcome to the Bates Motel," you greeted pleasantly, setting down your book. "Can I get you a room?"

"Is that a customer?" You heard Norman ask from the back room. He had been dusting his birds since business was so slow.

"Don't worry, Norman, I've got it!" You responded before turning back to the customer. "Sorry about that."

The man absently waved a hand. He was middle-aged, and seemed a bit distracted. "Um, yeah... I'd like a room."

  You nodded, bringing out the logbook. "If I could get your name and address, please? Or just the town will do."

  The man seemed a bit hesitant to divulge his information. He ran a hand over his thinning hair. "Uh... George. George Tanning. Fairvale."

  You nodded, scribbling the information down. You turned to the board behind you, selecting the key for room 7. You handed it to George.

  "I'll get your bags, Mr. Tanning," you said.

  George nodded, rubbing his hands together in a nervous gesture. He was staring in the direction of the parlour, at a seemingly invisible spot. You gestured for him to follow you out the door and he finally broke free from the spot he had been glued to. He sure was nervous for checking into a motel. You briefly wondered if he was cheating on his wife for the first time or something.

/ /

George Tanning had been the only customer that day, so you and Norman had decided to close the office early. Norman offered to make dinner for you both which you thought was really sweet. He was always doing little things like that to show that he cared.

  The two of you shared a lovely dinner together, watched a few programs on the television, and then went to bed. Of course, you always stayed awake longer than Norman. You liked to read a bit to wind down before finally going to sleep.

  It was while you were reading that you heard a strange sound. You looked up from your book, looking towards the bedroom door. It had sounded like the front door downstairs had either opened or shut. You knew this was an old house that creaked and groaned, but something deep in your gut told you otherwise.

  You listened, straining to hear any other suspicious sounds when you heard the stairs creak. Your chest tightened in fear. Somebody was in the house.

  Instantly, your hand was on Norman's shoulder, shaking him awake.

  "Norman, wake up."

  It took only a short moment to rouse Norman. He always had been a light sleeper. He looked up at you with bleary eyes, clearly disoriented.

"What...?" He trailed off, rubbing at his eyes.

"Norman, someone's in the house," you whispered fervently.

He blinked a few times, almost like he wasn't sure he had heard you correctly. "Y/N, what--"

You both shut up as you heard the sound of a door opening down the hall. Norman sat up straight, eyes wide. Slowly, you got out of bed, careful not to make any sound. You crept towards the door, pressing your ear against the wood. You could hear quiet footsteps, hear another door opening. Somebody was looking for something. A burglar?