40. Hannibal X Depressed!Reader

Requested by NefariousLacuna
      • • • • •

The room was dim. You gazed tiredly at the drawn curtains, seeing the light of the day bleeding into the room around the drapes' edges. You sighed and turned over in bed, wishing the other side wasn't empty. Hannibal had been gone when you'd woken up, undoubtedly working. You wanted to see him, but couldn't bring yourself to drag your carcass out of bed. You were tired, and not from lack of sleep.

  You had been snoozing off and on for the better part of the morning. You didn't dare look at the clock, knowing that realizing just how much time you were wasting would be a major blow to your mental state. So instead, you ignored the clock on your nightstand, pulling the covers up to your chin.

  At some point in your half asleep state, you heard the bedroom door open and quiet footsteps pad across the room. A weight dipped into the bed beside you and a gentle hand was placed on your shoulder, giving you a little shake.

  "Wakey, wakey, Y/N." The soft voice of Hannibal floated to your ear. "It's time to get up."

  You lazily rolled over, opening your eyes despite your body's protestations. Hannibal smiled warmly at you.

  "Ah, there are those beautiful eyes of yours," he said, lightly caressing your cheek.

  A small smile tugged at the corners of your mouth as you leaned into his touch. "I don't want to get up."

  Hannibal chuckled softly. "My dear, it's nearly noon. If you don't get up, you'll miss lunch."

  "I don't know if I'm that hungry..." you began.

  "I made your favourite," Hannibal said, trying to entice you in a singsongy voice.

  You let out a quiet hum. "That was nice of you."

  "Does that mean you'll join me?"

  "Well..." You exhaled quietly. "I will, since you've gone to the trouble--"

  "No trouble at all," Hannibal interrupted. "Come, let me help you up."

  You gratefully took his outstretched hands, thankful for his help. Your whole body felt like it was chained to the bottom of a lake with a ton of bricks. You weren't sure you could move on your own even if you wanted to.

  Once you were on your feet, Hannibal was quick to wrap you in one of his own robes, one you frequently liked to steal because it always smelled like him. He tied it securely around your waist before leading you out of the bedroom.

  The two of you had a quiet lunch. You didn't have much to say, and Hannibal knew that, and he was more than willing to carry on a mostly one-sided conversation. You appreciated his effort. You found his soft voice very comforting to listen to.

  Afterwards, Hannibal managed to convince you to take a walk through the garden with him. It was a beautiful day and he insisted the fresh air would probably do you good. Not one to argue with a doctor, you agreed.

  It was less of a walk and more of Hannibal simply leading you outside to the porch swing. You figured he had just wanted an excuse to get you outside and you were okay with that. You were still tired, but you could admit that the fresh air was nice. It made you feel...cleaner. You appreciated it.

  The two of you had been sitting on the porch swing for a while. You were snuggled into Hannibal's side, his arm wrapped securely around you. Again, he was carrying on a quiet one-sided conversation, telling you about the flowers that were growing, about what life stage the trees were in, about the insect life... It was as if he was doing everything he could to make you feel better, but not push you too far.

  You looked up at him when there was a lull in the conversation. "Why are you doing this?" You asked.

  "What's that, my dear?"

  "Taking care of me. Trying to help me feel better."

  "It's not a crime, Y/N."

  "I know that, I just... Why?"

  "Because I care about you, and how you're doing up here," Hannibal replied, tapping you lightly on the forehead. "You are aware of my career, aren't you?"

  That pulled a small smile from you. "I guess, yeah..."

  "Then there's no problem, is there?"

  "No, but I just..." You let out a sigh. "You don't have to. I'd hate for you to miss something important just because you were looking after me."

  "Y/N, there is nothing more important to me than looking after you," Hannibal said, pressing a tender kiss to your temple. "I love you and I'm more than happy to spend my time cheering you up."

"Thank you," you mumbled, feeling an embarrassed heat rising in your face.

A warm and fuzzy sensation grew in your chest, making it feel strangely tight. It was so hard to accept that someone would love you so sincerely, and here was Hannibal, taking a whole day just to make sure you were okay. It hurt, knowing how much he cared for you, but in the best way possible.

  A comfortable silence fell and you were content just to be held. At some point or another, you must have dozed off because Hannibal was gently shaking you awake.

"Come, darling, let's get you to bed," he said.

You rubbed at your eyes, a futile gesture. "No, I-I'm fine."

  "Come now, sweetheart, you're exhausted," Hannibal reasoned. "Let me tuck you into bed. I'll stay with you until you're asleep; how's that sound?"

  You smiled genuinely, for the first time in far too long. It felt good, like a small weight had been removed from the pile accumulating on your shoulders. It wasn't much, but it was a start. And a start, no matter how small, was still a start.

  "I'd like that, Hannibal. I'd like that a lot."

------------------------------------------------------------
oof i've been working on this one forever lol

but i finally got it done! i think it turned out real cute and i certainly felt comforted while writing it☺️

i fell in love with sir anthony hopkins' portrayal of hannibal lecter since the first moment i saw him so i'm happy i was finally able to get a oneshot finished for him!

i hope y'all enjoyed it too! please lemme know if you did! first time writing hannibal so i'm a lil nervous💕💕