34. Jason X Ghost!Reader

Requested by Kinishinai-Chan
                            • • • • •

  He was having a lonely night. You could tell. He had been sitting by his mother's side all day, hoping she might have some comfort left to give. Each candle around his mother's altar had been dutifully lit, casting the room in a warm glow. You peeked into the room, seeing Jason sitting on the floor, leaning up against the rock which his mother's head was placed. You desperately wished you could quell the aching loneliness he felt deep within his chest.

But you couldn't.

You could do nothing to comfort him. You couldn't hug him, couldn't hold him. Couldn't stroke his head and kiss his mask. You couldn't hold his hands and promise you would make everything right.

  You were just a ghost.

  It had been many, many years since you last had a corporeal form. All you were now was a spirit; a pocket of cold air in the vague shape of a human that somehow hadn't dissipated into the great beyond. You could no longer interact with things physically, but that had never bothered you before Jason.

  You had resided around Crystal Lake for an undetermined amount of time. You couldn't remember how long you had been here, or how you had died. You always felt like your were stuck in a fog, unable to find where you entered or where to exit.

But then you met Jason.

  You couldn't remember how long ago it was when you first met him. Time had become apparently meaningless after you had died, but now it felt as if you had known him forever. Jason seemed to fill a void in your chest that you hadn't even known was there. It was like a part of him was tethered to you, connecting the two of you in some unexplainable way that you just knew was meant to be. He was your light in the fog.

But you couldn't touch him. And if you still had a heart, you knew it would be breaking.

Silently, you glided into the room. You knelt by Jason's side, focusing on not sinking through the floor. Looking into his eyes, it was like he was in another world. He looked tired. He looked sad. So, so sad. You reached out and hovered over his hand, hoping that he could feel your ghostly chill. His mismatched eyes drew up to you and you smiled sadly.

  "I'm sorry I can't do more," you apologized, a feeling of guilt needling into your mind. "I hope being here is enough."

  Jason's gaze wandered away from yours, down to where your hand was floating over his. He waved his fingers a little, watching as they passed through your translucent form. You exhaled softly.

"If I could touch you, I would. You know that, right?" You said. "I would hold you so tight and never let go."

You saw Jason give the slightest nod, and though you both knew what you would do, it did nothing to quell the yearning of what you couldn't do. You scooted as close to him as possible, ghosting your hand over his cheek in a mimic of a caress. Even though your touch wasn't tangible, Jason leaned into your hand lovingly and closed his eyes, letting his imagination fill in the gaps that reality left behind.

"You're going to be okay, Jason," you soothed, pretending he could feel your fingers through his mask. "We'll get through this together. This sadness won't last."

Those mismatched eyes opened and gazed into yours once more. You gave him a comforting smile, leaning forward to press a kiss onto his forehead. You tried to imagine the hard plastic of the hockey mask under your lips and it did a little to help make it feel more real. Jason's arms encircled your incorporeal form, careful not to pass through you, in a mockup of a hug. You almost swore you could feel the warmth of his skin against yours. The body you didn't have ached for the contact, almost like the phantom pain of an amputated limb.

"Come with me, Jason. Let's go outside," you said, passing through his embrace. You motioned for him to follow as you floated towards the doorway. "I think the sun is about to rise."

You glanced back, expecting to see Jason lumbering after you, but he hadn't moved. He looked warily at his mother, like he needed to ask permission to leave. She couldn't answer, but you knew Jason needed the confirmation that, yes, it was okay to go.

"If you're worried about leaving her, why don't you bring her?" You suggested. "I'm sure she'd love to see a beautiful sunrise again."

You failed miserably at stifling a giggle as Jason practically lit up. You supposed the idea had never occurred to him. He jumped up from his spot on the floor and delicately lifted his mother's head into his arms. You saw him wander over to a shelf and pick up an old, weathered scarf. As carefully as he could, he wrapped it around his mother to ensure she wouldn't catch a chill. You thought the way Jason cared for his mother was so incredibly sweet, despite the fact that his mother was just a decomposing head. You tried not to dwell on it too much. After all, you were dead yourself.

The two of you – well, three if you counted Jason's mother – walked until you got to the shores of Crystal Lake. It was still dark, but you could see hints of purple and pink edging up from the horizon. Jason settled into the coarse sand, cradling his mother's head in his arms so she would have the perfect view of the sunrise. You knelt by Jason's side, your head hovering over his shoulder. It was almost like leaning against him.

You and Jason sat in silence, simply enjoying each other's company as the sky began to lighten. Little by little, the sun began to rise, painting the sky in beautiful shades of pink and orange. The colours streaked through the clouds, making it feel like you were living in a fairytale. The gentle lapping of the lake's waves only added to the experience.

And as you floated by Jason's side, watching the sun come up in a world you no longer wholly inhabited, you thought how you wouldn't trade it for anything else.

------------------------------------------------------------
i had some major writer's block in this one, but i pushed through it and i think it turned out good!

some good angst and fluff and all that lmao

so i hope y'all enjoyed! i l o v e doing ghost stuff so i had a lot of fun lol

feel free to visit the request page of you've got an idea you'd like me to write! i've still got room in this book for more oneshots x3