CHAPTER 1

Anitta Raynott

"Darling, wake up, you need to eat your soup."

"But I do not want to, Anitta. I don't have an appetite right now."

"You know what? Let's just finish up the soup and I will buy you some of your favorite books to read. How does that sound?

"Really? You will buy me some ice-cream too?"

"Yes. Now eat up your soup. My shift begins in 1 hour. You really have to play hard to get, don't you?"

"Yes, ma'am!"

"Rosie Mae!" Rosie chuckled.

Sometimes, I wished that Rosie could go outside and play but she could not. She was terribly sick. By sick here, I meant she has dilated cardiomyopathy - a heart birth defect - that needed money for multiple surgeries and a new heart. I needed to find her a heart before she dies. I was desperate for a perfect match. We were on the list for a long time but without the money, I could not do anything in my power to save her. She was way too young to die and I could not watch the last person I care for in this world die in front of my eyes. It was already a miracle that she survived the incident before her birth.

"Anitta? Anitta?" I snap out of my worries and looked at the dazzling deep blue eyes. She got mama's eyes. 

"Yes, I am sorry I will grab you some books and then I will go. Take care of yourself please, Rosie." I knew that leaving her was the only option. With the money that I earned from the shifts, it barely covered her medical fees.

"Yes, Anitta. I am not a child anymore. I am sixteen." I smirked.

"Sixteen or not you are still my sister." I said as I grab her books and place them next to the table. I gave her a light kiss on the forehead and head out. Today was another dreadful day at work.

I am currently working four part-time jobs, even though I have a bachelor degree in marketing and accounting, I could not take on a full time job because of Rosie. I could not afford to work long hours while taking care of her.

As I walked to the bus to work, a flyer caught my eyes. 'Temporary Assistant needed'. Strange. They only wanted assistants that worked for only three hours a day. What company needs an assistant that only works for three hours a day? I am amazed by the salary given out. Maybe this was a perfect opportunity for me to have quite a decent job while saving up some money for Rosie's surgery. The interview was tomorrow afternoon. I was free. I needed this job, more than anyone else. I was determined to have it no matter the hardship. 

Jared Dimitrou

"Sir, the flyers are given out. I think we should be able to hold interviews by tomorrow. Do you want to give a list of people who will be proctoring the interviews, sir?" Maria, my PA said.

"Let Alan do it. You will be there too, Maria."

"Yes, sir."

"And bring me some coffee."

"Right away, sir."

I could feel my phone vibrating. "What do you want, Alessandro?"

"Hey friend, how is your luck in finding a temporary girlfriend going? I bet that your mother would be thrilled when her son is putting up a temporary assistant position but instead looking for a fake girlfriend." Alessandro let out a low chuckle.

"Let it go, Alex. I can't find another way."

"Really? Billionaire Jared Dimitrou can't find a better way? Ooh, this seems strange. I am sure there are many girls willing to throw themselves your way." He said mockingly. This friend of mine sure did not appreciate the pain I was going through.

"Well, at least I am not a useless movie star who was hated by half of the country. I have an empire to run find something else to do." With that, I hung up. Clearly, Alex did not know that finding a potential girlfriend was difficult, I hoped that he went through the same pain that I was going through.

This was not fun. I had tried to find a girlfriend to make sure that mom would not try to matchmake me with her potential "ideals" in daughter-in-laws. I had no idea why she wanted to do it now. I felt no rush in getting married while she was demanding a grandchild for her to hold.

As I made my way to my car, I saw in the corner of my eyes a small figure bumping into me. Her fiery red hair caught my attention. As she looked up, I could not help but stare into those beautiful dazzling hazel eyes. It felt like my soul was naked for her to see. She could see through me.

"I am so sorry, sir. Please excuse me." I was too stunned to say anything. Before I could utter a word, she was already gone.

Just like that she walked away not bothering who I was. She did not know nor recognize me. I always thought that everyone in the city knew me as a ruthless billionaire. Yet, this girl seemed to coldly apologized to me after bumping into me. She was sure interesting.