Chapter 1

Her hands grabbed my waist, holding me still. I used all my strength to break free from her grasp, but she was too strong. I stood there wondering when she was going to stop, my eyes pierced her sky tinted ones. My face softened seeing the vulnerability of hers. I wanted to reach out and caress her cheeks, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I have three rules and I broke every single one of them when I met this woman.

"Kate? Give me one good reason why we wouldn't be happy together?" Her voice was soft I could feel the pain this was causing her, but I had no choice. I let my hardened stare penetrate her eyes, she didn't back down which made this situation even harder for me.

I closed my eyes stalling whilst I pieced together the right words. I took a step back gathering my thoughts, whenever Deja touched me my body responded in the most dramatic of ways. My heart would rapidly try escaping my chest, then of course my knees would go weak and last of all she had an uncanny ability to be able to cause my words to leave me.

"Because I don't have feelings for you." Instant regret weighed down into my stomach as the words left my mouth. I wanted to take every single letter back, but I couldn't. This was for the best; breaking Deja's heart was the only way that she would be safe.

She shook her head violently, taking cautious steps towards me. Fearing that too much movement would scare me away as if I was a frightened animal. "You're lying. You know full well that you feel the same way. Why do you insist on pushing me away?!" She ran her hand through her long black locks, sighing heavily at an attempt at keeping her composure. She was growing restless, agitated- I needed to give her more material to protect her.

"I used you." Her eyes flickered in disbelief. Her body flinched as if I'd taken a shot straight through her chest. Suddenly mine became tight, I needed to maintain myself. I couldn't break now. I was so close to giving her full protection. Her eyes darted to the presence behind me. I turned around to face the object of her attention. The whole room stopped into slow motion, my brother came in dressed in all black with his rifle. He looked through the scope past me to Deja. He focused his sights, his finger flinched over the trigger. My instincts took full control over my body. I landed on top of Deja. She cradled my waist as she scanned my body. The fall had created a ringing to occur in my ears, I could make out faintly the sound of triggers, bullets, shells, screaming. I felt tired, exhausted all of a sudden. I knew this was not a time to rest but my eye lids became heavy and I didn't have the strength to fight it. The volume of the room completely disappeared, my vision soon followed.