Chapter 12

Deja housed me for the next two weeks until the cops took care of everything that happened. Sitting on the sofa my phone started vibrating; Matt. "what do you want?" I asked sharply, hating that he was checking up on me. "I want to know where Dale is. He hasn't checked in with me for several days. Have you seen him?" gritting my teeth wondering how much my brother knew I decided I'd need to play coy. "Yes, I saw that asshole yesterday, Matthew." "Okay, thank you. Has the hit been carried out, yet?" I clamped my jaw. "No, I've worked out her schedule. She's got close protection. Would have been good to put that into the file." I sniped. My blood boiling from my brother checking up I needed to end this conversation. "She's on the move. Bye." Clicking his tongue, he hung up.

Deja walked into the room at the end of the call. "Who was that?" I shrugged "It was Matthew, wanted to check if I'd seen Dale. I said I had." Nodding in understanding, her look turned serious. "Kate, I want to help you. I don't want your brother to beat you because of everything that has happened with me. So, I made some call's and my death is being announced in two days. I nodded. "Okay, I need to go back to New York tomorrow."

All my armoury had been disposed of, my bags had been packed, I had been fed, now the only thing I had to do was say goodbye to Deja. An emptiness filled my body knowing I would be thousands of miles away from this being. Walking into the kitchen where I stood; Deja came in, arms wrapped around my waist, her chin tucking itself into the crook of my neck. Breathing in her scent, letting the warmth radiate my body. She was my home, not New York. But I must do this to protect her and I. Her body left mine, a kiss planted onto my lips, the sweetest o kisses I've ever received. "I'll be thinking of you. I hope we meet again one day. "I looked down at my luggage and the horn of the taxi snapped us out of our moment. I took a hand and kissed it tenderly. "Until next time." I whispered. A tear rolled down her porcelain-skinned cheek, taking everything in me not to rub it away I left.