Chapter 11

I woke up to the blinding light of the curtains being opened. I looked around my surroundings, my files and armoury were set out onto the dressing table. I jumped up out of the bed and scanned the room. Deja's eyes peered into me pleading me to say something. A flicker of pain, hurt and dishonesty slapped her features. "What are you doing?" Calmly pleading the brunette in front of me who held my Tar 21 at eye level. "First of all, who the hell are you?!" she retorted. My eyes dropped down in defeat. I needed to come clean. Taking a deep breath in. "My name is Kate Lily Wood. I'm a trained assassin. You were an assignment of mine. Your details are in that file and that's my armoury." I dead panned. She nodded in understanding. "Thank you for the truth. Why was a hit sent out on me?" I sat there stunned at the solace in her voice. "I have no idea. Everything in that file is all I know. The one who sent a hit out on you is a guy named Fargo. He's one of our best clients. He offered to pay us double." Her grip tightened on the guns trigger. "I know Fargo. He was my father's best friend. He would never put a hit out on me. He practically brought me up. There must be someone else who put this hit out on me. I have a question- If you're this trained assassin, I assume on of the best. Why haven't you killed me yet?" Eagerly waiting for an answer, her eyebrows raised prompting. Thinking about that I couldn't give her an answer. Looking down at my hands my mind went black. I got up to believe myself, but I was pushed down by her force. "Answer the question, damn it!" she spat. I jumped up and pulled the gun out of her hand. Within a couple of swift moves her hands were restrained and I stood behind her. Her head snapped back hitting my forehead causing me to shuffle backwards. Pushing me onto the floor, straddling me a blow to my jaw was felt. I felt the warm liquid of a split lip trickle down my chin. With force I pushed the straddling woman backwards and she was pinned down by me, giving her a blow to the eyebrow, hers had split and a trickle was seen running down the side of her face. Pinning her fists into the carpet, I pressed my body weight into her. Crying and sniffling; the being under me was restrained, for now. I felt her heart thumping underneath me. "You feel the same way I do, don't you? That's why you couldn't do it! Admit it, I can't take this anymore! I can't eat, I can't sleep, I can't do anything without thinking about you, the way your single dimple shows when you smile. The way you talk with your hands, your side smirk. I've known you less than a month and it's driving me insane. Don't you dare tell me that you felt nothing when we made love on my couch!" My body shot up when her voice started to raise. I couldn't deny anything. I felt exactly the way she did. But I had a decision to make, lose everything, my job, the last member of my family, my friends, clients.

Without denying it any longer I pulled her into me, our lips met, every emotion I felt for this woman spilled out of me into the kiss. Every suppressed feeling, the hunger in each other revelled. Short lived, frantic knocking at the door separated the two of us. "Kate, open this fucking door." Dale. I'm going to kill him if he keeps possessing this frantic behaviour. "Get into the closet." I whispered. Nodding at my commands Deja picked up the spare Beretta 92 and stepped into the closet.

Opening the door, I was met with a pair of hands at my throat. "Get the fuck off me, Dale!" His grip remained tight around my neck causing my oxygen levels to plummet. An upper hook to the chin managed to pry me out of his steely grip. Gasping for breath I backed up towards my bed. Grabbing a throwing knife held inform of me keeping him backed up, "I know you like that slut, after this I'm calling Matt to let him know you're fucking her. Then he'll beat you down really good." chuckling whilst wiping trickles of blood from his nose from the impact. I hadn't noticed Deja was out of the closet holding the Beretta 92, within one swift move it struck Dale's head producing a gut-wrenching crack of his skull. Falling with a thud Dale's stunned demeanor prompted my actions. Taking the vial of cyanide, opening with haste I poured four drops into his mouth. As a reflex Dale swallowed instantly. Deja and I watched as he wretched, but nothing came up, his body limpened and started to tremble. I turned my head away because I hated using this method as a form of killing. It was a slow death compared to a head shot. After three long minutes I felt for a pulse. "He's dead." The pair of us came wrapped arms around each other. No word's spoken. "Kate? I'll clean up this mess. The cops around here like the backhanders. We'll give them some money and they take care of incidents like this. But, you already knew that because it's in that folder." Her chin tipped towards the folder. A sliver of guilt pounded my stomach. I nodded absently working out the forthcoming's of this incident.