Chapter 13

Present day

"Deja!" I sighed jumping up from the bed. An unbearable sensation shot up through my hip to my chest, the breath got knocked out of my lungs. A figure stood next to my bed. Her raven hair and light blue eyes captured me. She was truly beautiful. "Take it easy, I'm here. You're okay. Do you remember what happened?" I shook my head, enthralled with this beautiful being next to me. "Okay, do you remember anything? In the last three months?" I scanned my mind. I had no memories, I had nothing. Starting to panic "I don't know who I am. Who are you? Why don't I remember anything? Help!" I screamed. The woman next to me caressed my face providing a touch of solace. "My name's Deja, you're Kate. You were in the middle of a shootout. You lost a lot of blood that's probably why you have no recollection. Your memories will probably resurface overtime. It's not guaranteed. Do you know a person named Matthew?" Scanning my memories, it had a familiarity; "I'm doing this for the best. You need to be strong. Up." Another kick to my stomach knocked everything out of me. Matt was training me for something by beating me senseless. I remember. "Yes, I remember. He was anarchistic." I mumbled. She nodded and touched her neck "Yeah, he was. He was the one who shot you. You took a bullet for me. He died in the crossfire." I nodded. I had no emotions right now, no grief, no anger, I was comfortably numb.

Weeks went by and my gunshot wound was healing particularly nicely from what the specialist was saying. I had been out and about a week after I left the hospital. "Deja?" calling out to the woman who had asked me to be her girlfriend. The chemistry we had was unbelievable. As once as she'd said whilst we were on a date; "Our connection run's so deep the ocean would be jealous." That quote stuck in my mind. Imprinted like a tattoo.

Scurrying the house in search of my familiar I entered her study only to be found empty. Walking over to the mahogany desk that rested in the centre of the room file's scattered over it in a messy pile. Deciding to take it upon myself, I picked them up to clean up the desk. Curiosity caught me off guard and I was opening the folder. A head shot of a man I recognised;" I know you like that slut, after this I'm calling Matt to let him know you're fucking her. Then he'll beat you down really good" why would my own brother beat me up? I wondered. Matthew didn't seem like a nice guy at all.

Another file was picked up by myself with a picture of Matthew and details about him. The third file was not a file I was expecting to open; A head shot of myself clipped to the top of a sheet which had everything one needed to know about me on; Trained Assassin. Caught my eye; Looking through a Blazer R93 Tactical lens was an elderly man in his late 50's, a flashback of his name "Lugano" aiming for his forehead I took the shot, his body limpened, blood spluttered all around him. I'd killed him. Why would I do such a thing?! Throwing the folders back onto the desk I broke into a run, walking into the 'Serenity Room' Deja had made for us when I moved in due to the panic attacks I stared at the buddha in front of me slowing my breathing and trembles. "Kate?!" I loved that voice. I could listen to that voice providing my solace for eternity and never get bored of it. "You're okay. Just breath it out." Her arms cradled my weak body until I strengthened up. "Deja, I went into your office, I saw the folders. Why do you have them?" Her face flickered with anger, confusion and finally understanding. Getting into a comfortable position next to me crossing her legs she started. "Kate, I knew Matthew. He was my brother when we were younger my dad left my mother for his mother and then his father got with my mother. It's messed up, I know. But Matthew wasn't blood related to you. He was in love with you hence why he was hard on you. When he was 16 he found this out by your father's friend Fargo who was also my dad's best friend. Matt resented me because my parents killed his parents. I only just found this out because I hired private investigator when I found out you were in Wales to carry out a hit on me. Anyway, Matt was trying to get me out of the equation because he was in love with you. But when Fargo slipped up that I was still alive. Matt came looking and tracked me to your office. He saw us together and in a blind fit of rage he pulled the trigger on me shooting you. So, there was a shootout between my men and his, but he didn't live through it." Stunned by the unraveled turn of events I darted for the door. Deja pulled me back in. "Don't do anything drastic." Rolling my eyes I walked into the kitchen, on the way there I glanced at the mirror. A flashback of a blonde woman straddled on my desk surfaced my mind; Talia.