The Job

"So you want me to just, help out?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. My cousin Victor nodded.

"I want you to take pictures, and also help where you can." I sighed, sitting down.

"What's the real reason you want my help Victor?" I asked. I knew my cousin, and he always had some sort of angle.

"There's no reason," He said. "I just want to spend some time with my cousin, is that so wrong?"

"It's money isn't it?" I asked. His gaze darkened.

"Reed is always right. If this storm does what he thinks it will, then it will, admittedly, equal some money." I rolled my eyes.

"My assistant Susan will give you the information." Victor said, turning away from me. I sighed again, my audience clearly over.

I walked past a pretty blonde who introduced herself as Susan. She gave me a few papers and a card with her number. After a few minutes I thanked her and left, slightly sceptical.

*****

"...or doing swan lake in these things, I mean who the hell came up with these?" I smirked when I realized he was talking about the skin tight blue suits. I heard Susan walk in, and I took a step back, taking a picture quickly. After I was done I walked up to join the group.

"That means it keeps the hot stuff hot, and the cool stuff cool." I snorted, walking up behind the other blonde, who's hair was slightly darker than Sue's.

"You need the cooling down part, hot shot." I said, and the group turned to look at me.

"I'm Ella, by the way." I stated, sitting on the seat next to hot shot.

"Guys I told you about Ella, she's going to be coming with us." I smiled at Susan, looking around at everyone.

I smiled at hot shot. He was obviously taller than me, and blonde, with gorgeous blue eyes. Although cute, definitely out of my league.

"What's your name hot shot?" I asked.

"Johnny," He held out his hand, and I took it. I turned back to Sue, her and the guys talking. I could see Johnny checking me out, and I rolled my eyes. This one was obviously a player. I brushed my midnight black hair behind my ear, casually watching Johnny too.

I'm not self conscious at all, which is strange to some people. I was tall, but I fell on the shorter side of tall, so about 5'6. I was sporty when I was a kid, so I still had a nice figure, but I was a bit curvier than most. Combine that with pale skin, and blue/grey eyes, and admittedly red lips, many referred to me Snow White, or even Belle. Mostly my roommate but that doesn't matter.

I heard an announcement over the com system that we needed to start getting ready, and I stood, heading towards the terminal.

"See ya later hot shot." I said, smiling at him as Sue and I made our way towards the ship.

*****

"So why did you come along?" Johnny asked me as we unloaded the equipment on the space station.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked him, looking out the window. Below us was the earth, and it was breathtaking.

"I'm not being rude, it just seems strange that, ya know-"

"Victors my cousin. He's not my favorite family member, and technically we're not even related, but family is family." I said, turning to him. I had been talking with Johnny since we got here, and we had been getting along pretty well.

"What do you mean technically?" He asked. I smiled.

"I'm adopted." I said. " People are always surprised."

"You look exactly alike." He said, and I frowned slightly.

"Don't compare me to him." I said, picking up a case.

"Why?" Johnny asked, standing infront of me. I looked away, tugging on the tips of my hair.

"Why do you always ask questions?" I asked, avoiding the question.

Truth is, is that Victor creeps me out. He is always looking at me, and it honestly bugs me. It reminds me of.... things.

"What about you?" I asked. "Any family?"

"Just Sue." He said after a minute, looking down. I put my hand on his arm.

"I'm sorry." I said sincerely. He smiled.

"Ella I need your assistance." Victors voice crackled through my ear piece. I smiled at Johnny before telling Victor I was on my way.

*****

"The storm is exhilarating!" I looked up at a panicked Reed.

"We have less then 8 minutes." My eyes widened as he turned to me.

"Go tell Johnny!" I ran past him, my camera slapping against my chest.

"Johnny!" I said, making him turn to me. He looked like he was about to say something clever but decided against it.

"Hey what's wrong?" Johnny asked.

"The storm, it's-"

"Ben you need to get in here!" Reed yelled, running past us to the portal.

"I'm not done arranging your flowers yet, egg head." Ben said, and if the situation were different I probably would have laughed.

"Ben look behind you." I said, my eyes wide. The genetic storm was rolling in, and it looked threatening. For some reason I raised my camera and took a picture.

"I'm not gonna make it." Ben said after turning around.

"Then you gotta jump!" Johnny said, and I turned to him, shocked. That was a pretty big leap.

"Don't look at me like that!" He said, and I rolled my eyes. We turned back to Ben.

"Oh god..." I whispered, crossing my fingers. Ben walked to the edge of the deck thing and jumped.

I'm pretty sure the next few minutes were in slow motion. I watched him fly through the air, and I heard Reed say something and Johnny moved away. I blinked as the light brightened, and Ben crashed against the glass. I took a step back as the storm, or something broke through. I felt someone grab me, and I felt a overwhelming burning sensation crash over me. The last thing I felt was a cooling sensation as it seemed like water flooded my system.

*****