Puzzle Pieces

"Reed!" I called out, looking around the empty room. Nobody.
         "I can't find him." Johnny said as he joined me in the lab. I frowned, setting the camera and samples down.

          "Well where could he be, it's not like he has a big social circle!" I said, a bit agitated. I twirled my blue hair around my fingers and tugged on it.

         "Mabey he's with Sue?" I said after a moment of thinking. Johnny sighed.

          "Might as well get comfortable." He mumbled, pulling off his jacket. I picked up the camera and pressed the power button.

          "You really think these could help in the whole power and genetics department?" Johnny asked, leaning against the wall.

          "Eh, mabey." I tapped the still blank camera. "This might not be much use, but the plants will most likely be our best bet."

         "Oh..." Johnny went silent as I tinkered with the camera. I sighed and flicked my hair over my shoulder.

         Turning it to the side I pulled out the memory chip. Holding it up to the light, I looked to see if there was any damage.

         "What's that?" I asked, looking closer at the small crack on the little chip. Suddenly, I felt a sharp pain in my hand, and I dropped the memory card.

         "What's wrong?" Johnny asked, walking over to me. I examined my finger, which now had a small cut that was slowly leaking blood.

       "The damn chip cut me." I said, dropping down to search for the small item. After a few moments I found it, picking it up with my uninjured hand.

         "Hey do we have band aids?" I asked, wincing at my finger.

          "Uh yeah, be right back." I nodded as Johnny disappeared down the hall. When he was out of sight I sighed and slumped against the wall. I was tired, and sore, and just wanted to figure this out. And my finger stung really badly.

        I pushed myself off the wall to turn on a lamp, but when I touched the metal the lights flickered slightly. I frowned, but ignored it. It was a pretty big place, it probably happens a lot.

       I held my finger under the lamp, looking it over. I felt that click in my brain that signalled my powers, but I hadn't used them. I frowned and glanced around. The temperature suddenly dropped a few degrees, and I frowned yet again. I walked over to the thermostat and reached for it.
*Snap*

         A sharp, electric pain filled me, and I collapsed to my knees. Lights danced across my vision, and I felt an overwhelming cold. I gasped and reached for something, anything. I found the wall, and I pressed my hand into it. I heard the click again, and I pressed my forehead against the wall, feeling sick. Suddenly I felt warmth wrap around my shoulders, then I was pressed into something warm.
*Johnny P.O.V*

         When I came back from getting a band aid, I saw Ella on her knees, her head against the wall. Her hand was pressed into the wall, and I watched in amazement as ice shot across the wall, stretching as high as the ceiling.

         "How are you doing this?" I asked, watching the ice climb onto the ceiling. She didn't answer. I frowned, and moved over to her.

        "Ella?" I crouched down and touched her shoulder. I recoiled as the shock of cold hit my skin. I called her name again, but she didn't respond. I placed my hands on her cheeks, which where freezing. Her blue streak was glowing, and I watched as another streak started to grow. Her skin got colder.

        I pulled her to my chest. I couldn't think of anything else but to warm her up, and quickly. I kept saying her name, holding her close to me. I held her hands in mine, feeling her slowly start to thaw. Ella suddenly moved, and I looked down at her hopefully.

         "That stings..." She mumbled, pressing her face into my shoulder. I chuckled in relief.

          "What stings?" I asked.

           "Everything. It feels like when you get the feeling back after being numb for hours." I laughed again and just held her, stroking her arm. She sighed, and I could hear the tired in her voice.

         "We need to fix this. I need to fix this." She said.

          "It will be fixed. Just not today." She started to protest, but I covered her mouth. "We got what we needed, now let's rest."

          Ella hesitated, then nodded.

          "If I die tonight I'm blaming you." She said, a teasing smile on her face. I rolled my eyes and helped her stand. I heard a very audible grumble, and I raised an eyebrow at her. She giggled and pointed at her stomach.

        "How about food?"