Discovering

"Why isn't she waking up?"

       "I don't know Mr.Storm.Her vitals are normal, and she's very healthy, despite running a low temperature."

        "Can't you fix her?!"

        "There is nothing to fix sir, she's simply slee-"

        "I don't quite believe that she is just-"

       "Will you guys shut up?" I mumbled, turning over. I was greeted by silence, then enveloped by someone's arms.

        "Ella!"

        "That's my name don't where it ou-"

       I stopped talking when someone started squeezing me. Deprived of oxygen, I opened my eyes, to see a confused doctor and a very nice room.

        "Can't breathe," I choked out. "Need air..."

        "Oh right." Johnny pulled away from me, and gave me a sheepish grin.

        "Hi hot shot." I said giving him a half smile, then looked around the room. "What happened?"

        "Well after the storm, Victor brought us to his private hospital." Johnny frowned." You've been out for a while, and have earned a few.... momentoes?"

       "What does that mean?" I asked, suddenly worried. When he didn't answer I kicked him off me and ran to the giant mirror.

       "OH MY-" I stared. I had a giant, electric blue strip of hair. Imagine Christina Perri's hair stripe, except blue and big.

        "Wha-?" I asked turning from Johnny to the mirror. "My hair i-i-is blue!"

       "Well not completely." Johnny pointed out. I glared.

        I knew I was over reacting, but I was in shock. I could die it but I didn't want to put that type of crap on my hair. I stared at the mirror and my image. I looked fine, actually better then fine. My lips were fuller, my eyes brighter, and my hair gleamed and was extra soft.

        "Ugh!" I exclaimed, sitting on the edge of my bed. I looked at the doctor.

        "My condition?" I asked. I had heard him telling Johnny but I had to hear him tell me.

        "Your vitals are normal and you have no obvious injuries." he said. "but what we can't understand is that you have an abnormally low temperature. It's not affecting your health, but we want to examine you a little more before we decide on a reason."

          "Okay...." I said, fingering my blue hair. It was at that moment that my stomach decided to have a voice and I realized how hungry I was.

          "Is there food anywhere?" I asked. Johnny laughed.

         "I'll show you," he said. "You know, for a hospital it has really nice food."

        "It's Victor, what do you expect?" I asked, laughing. I followed him to the cafeteria/restaurant place as Johnny filled me in on all the happenings. When we were done eating I headed back to my room to sleep.

*****

        I was in the showers when my headache started. At first it was minor, nothing I couldn't handle. But then the pains started. I was lying flat on my back in my room on the bed, and suddenly my body started to seize up. I groaned and rolled onto the floor, gasping.

        It felt like my bones where slowly being pulled out of my body, and it was so bad I couldn't see. I remember somebody screaming, but I didn't realize it was me. I heard shouting, and it sounded like someone was banging on my door, but I had locked it so no one could get in.

         Slowly the pain started to go away, and I could open my eyes. Lying on the floor I felt my head start to clear and I realized that the people were still trying to get in. Gasping I crawled to the door and unlocked it. Reed, Sue and Johnny rushed in, all looking concerned.

        "Oh my god Ella are you okay?" Susan asked, helping me stand up. I groaned and doubled over.

        "Here let me take her."

        "Johnny you don't have clothes on."

        "Oh right..."

        I hobbled over to the bed with the help of Susan. Sitting on the edge, I panted and rubbed at my sweaty forehead.

        "I need water," I said quietly. Sue handed me a large glass, and I was surprised at how fast I drained it. I held it out for more and she obliged. After the second glass, I sipped the third. The water had made me feel much better and I could now stand without help.

         "So what just happened to me?" I asked, setting my glass down on a table near the door.

        "We think that the storm has affected our DNA." Reed said.

        "You would need a lot of evidence for that tho-"

        My words where cut short when Johnny snapped. I looked over at him to glare and scold, but my words got caught in my throat. Johnnys finger was on fire.

        "Oh my god..." I whispered walking up to him and grabbing his hand. I inspected his glowing thumb. "How is this possible?"

        "I don't kn-"

        "What is going on here?" Victor asked, interrupting Reed.

       "Victor have you been feeling alright?" Susan asked.

        "I feel fine." he said, then he turned to Reed. "What happened to Ben's room?"

          "I don't know, something happened," Reed said." But I have an idea of were he's going."

        "Well then find him." Victor said, turning to go. On his way out he walked into the table, and my water glass fell over. I reached toward it out of reflex, and I felt something click. Time slowed and I saw each atom of the water. It was incredible and beautiful.

        When time came back everyone was staring at me.

        "What?" I asked. Johnny pointed at my hand. When I looked down I gasped. Water was swirling around my hand and fingers, much like Johnnys flames. I held my hand up and looked in shock at the water.

        "How are you doing that?" Reed asked. I shrugged, and had an idea. Concentrating on the water, I felt that unusual click, and I could now see the water atoms again. I willed them to stop moving, to freeze and expand into a certain shape. When time turned normal I was now holding a beautiful orchid in my hand that was completely made of ice.

        Looking up at everyone, I saw them all staring at the flower, their jaws wide open like fish. The comparison made me laugh, which caused them to snap out of their trance.

        "That was amazing..." Reed said. I smiled.

        "Will it melt?" Susan asked.

        "Let's find out." I said, walking over to Johnny. "Do your magic hot shot."

       He snapped his fingers, and I held the orchid over the flame. A part of me wanted it to not melt. I had never created such beauty before, and I wanted to keep it forever. Imagine my happiness when nearly a minute later it was still solid and ice cold.

       This could be fun.