Things Happen

*Ella P.O.V*

        I was buttoning my jeans when Sam burst through my door. I shrieked as I was tackled to the ground, landing with an Oomph and a wince as my bruise protested the movement.

        "I like air!" I gasped dramatically when Sam pulled her arms from around me. The brunette giggled.

        "Sorry." Samantha climbed off me, then helped me stand. She then crossed her arms and made a pouty face. "You didn't call me when you got back."

        "Sweetie I was busy." I said as I gathered my bags, groaning at how heavy they were. "But I did call, it's just that nobody answered."

        "Could have tried again." Sam followed me out of my room. I rolled my eyes.

        Sam was the baby of her family, and like my little sister. We had met in middle school, and even though she was younger than me by three years we were still very close. We had moved into an apartment together to share the rent, and just have fun. She taught in an elementary school, and had just been promoted to Principal.

        "I was really distracted I'm sorry." I said, walking down the stairs.

        "Uh huh." I laughed at Sam's child like behavior as she wandered ahead into the kitchen.

        "Hot shot?" I called, looking around from the bottom of the stairs.

        "Here!" He poked his head out from around the corner leading into the hallway. I waved him over.

        "Be a gentlemen and take this." I handed him the heavier bag and started to walk past him when he suddenly reached out and grabbed the other bag from my hand.

        "Hey!" I protested, stopping at the door to get my keys.

        "'Be a gentlemen,' you said." I snorted.

        "Don't sass me." I shouted to Sam that we were gonna be back in a minute, then opened the door for my "gentlemen".

        "Your friend is cute." Johnny said as I pressed the button for the elevator. I paused, the words bugging me. For some reason I couldn't see him with her, I didn't want him to be with her, I wanted him to be with-

        "Don't even think about it," I said quickly, more talking to my thoughts then him. Thank God he didn't notice.

        "Think about what?" Johnny asked.

        "You can't date my friend." I said, pushing the button for the basement, or car lot. I tried not to think about how my brain was saying I wanted to be with him. I didn't want to be in a relationship. It never seems to end well for me.

        "Why not?" I rolled my eyes, turning to him.

          "Because, things would be awkward." I said finally.

        "How so?" I sighed, trying to find words for it.

        "Um...." Thankfully the elevator doors dinged and another person got on with us, and Johnny moved behind me to make room. I recognized her as the old woman who gave out banana bread and cookies at the door during Christmas.

        "Hello Ella! Haven't seen you for a while!" I smiled at the cheery woman.

         "Hello Ms.Williams, how are you?" I asked politely.

        "Quite well, and who is this young man, your boyfriend?" I blushed, while Johnny just smirked and winked at me. Before I could speak, Johnny had to open his big mouth.