Dark, Spooky, Warehouses

"Are you sure this is what it said?" I asked with such worry.

Father Brown didn't say anything so he just gave me the letter to see for myself.  After reading it and scrunched it up and shoved it in my pocket.

In front of me was a tall old building, I could see some of its rooftop caved in. The two of the front door had been ripped off the hinges, most of it looked like it was being supported by rusty bent poles.

I stood to long looking at the building I didn't notice that Father Brown went to go inside the building.

"Father wait up." I called.

I ran to catch up with up but had to make sure not to trip on any of the fallen debris. I was met by a kind dark corridors, some one the lights were on but many were blown out or flickering. These were the times a wish I had Toothless, but I had to brave the dangers in my own.

I slowly and quietly walked down the spooky corridor. Many had doors on the right side of the corridor, leading into pitch black rooms. I walked past the 4th room and I saw the Father. So I walked into the room.

"Father? Where are we? I thou-" But he cut my off.

"Father as in Father Brown?" A voice that suddenly echoed throughout the room.

Which sent chills down my spine. Then the lift of a torch came on, we couldn't see anybody except the shadow of a tall figure. The torch light soon moved into our direction which blinded us.

"And I see your brought your little friend." The echoey voice then spoke.

"What do you want?!" I bravely asked.

The sound of clanging metals, bricks tumbling and foot steps filled the noise of the room. The figure came into better viewing, he shone the torch on himself.

"You!" I shouted.

"Yes, greetings again. My my, you seem to take the same reaction as Sid does."

"Only because you tried to take Toothless." I shouted back.

"Was it you Flambeau, the one who was behind all of this?" The Father asked.

"Well most of it." Flambeau began. "You see I planned it all by do you really think I would murder someone?"

"You framed me! I knew it." I said.

The thief nodded.

"So your whole plan was to frame her, and hopefully get her any away just so you could get Toothless?" Father Brown asked.

"Brava Father, but I see the plan hasn't worked like it should of done so I'm going to have to go to plan B." Flambeau said.

Gulp I went, what in the world was plan B like?

Flambeau took a step forward to where I was standing. I prepared myself for whatever he was going to do.

"So your just going to kill me?" I stupidly asked.

But of course he laughed. "I'm a thief not a murder, no I'm just simply going to get you out if the way so I can get what I want."

"No I want let you."

"Flambeau please the isn't the way, why don't you just leave Toothless be and...-" Father Brown tried to reason.

The thief turned to face him and shone the torch on him.

"Hush now Father, once this will all be other you won't speak of it at all, now matter what the cost is."

I gulped again, and waited for what was about to happened, Flambeau opened his mouth but instead of a dreadful noise that was beginning to come, a more helpful noise broke the silence. It was the sound of the ringing bell on the police car.

Flambeau knew his time was up, and he had to vanish into the shadows. He had to make a diversion. The thief plan was cruel but his distraction was even worse. Flambeau decided to push me, I fell backwards awkwardly twisting my ankle.

Father Brown tried to stop Flambeau but he was too quick. The thief disappeared into the shadows of the deep dark night.

"Oh for goodness sake." I said trying hard not say anything too offensive.

Then I was greeted by a familiar nudge of my best friend.

"Toothless!" I beamed.

He was just as happy as I was to see him, until he growled at the scent of an wanted person.

"Yes bud Flambeau was here." I said. "I'll tell you the rest later.

"Padre!" I could here Inspector Mallory Shout.

Father Brown went to see what he had to say.

"This isn't the first time you know." The inspector reminded.

Whilst I could here him rambling on about how it was dangerous and blah blah blah. I tried to stand up but was struggling to put weight on right ankle.
Sergeant Goodfellow decided to come over to see me.

"I'll slightly pretend I can't here what the Inspector's saying." I joked but I was in too much pain.

"The father says it was flambeau," Goodfellow said.

"Yes, well no he just hired someone to muddle the man and frame me so he could get his hands on Toothless." I said.

Toothless growled so I gently patted him. The sergeant nodded, and decided to walk back to where his boss was. Again I tried to stand up and almost did it, Toothless went to support me, so I just climbed aboard him.

"Please don't tell me that something else has gone wrong this time." Mallory complained. "We've already lost Flambeau."

"And I may or may not have had damage done to me." I added.

The inspector looked at Father Brown for an explanation.

"Distraction," he said. "Flambeau pushed her over for an distraction."

"So much for keeping me safe." I quoted.

Which lead to an awkward silence, as inspector Mallory and his sergeant went to walk out of the building.

"Hopefully it's nothing to serious." The Father said.

"If you count the fact that I can't walk on it doesn't sound serious then I don't know what is." I said.

I patted Toothless to indicate him go walk onwards, out of the building. The priest followed.

Murder in Kembleford (#4 in the series) On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara