Prologue

This is the second part to By His Rules. You will need to read BHR to understand this book.
(Unedited)

The sudden rush at the entrance of pack house caught everyone's attention. Alpha Cade had returned two days behind schedule. And with ruckus. Drake made his way through the crowd to see Alpha holding onto a hysterical pup.

"Everyone clear the area," Alpha Cade addressed.

Drake turned to herd everyone away, trying to slip away himself. There was an ache in his chest. The brief look that he got, he didn't miss the red-rimmed eyes of his Alpha.

"Drake," Alpha Cade's voice stopped him. It was painful to hear him sound so ... lost, hurt.

He stayed back. No one said a word even after the crowd dispersed. The pup too was just gasping audibly, too tired to cry anymore.

"Call Rita and ask her to take him in. He needs to be cared for."

Questions almost escaped from his lips. Questions he knew would leave the pack heartbroken, questions that needed to be answered. But he reigned them in.

Alpha Cade swayed on his feet. His legs were failing him.

"Take him away. Don't make me say it again." Drake jumped into action immediately. There was something in Alpha's voice that he had never heard before.

He never once looked back as he picked the sobbing pup and almost ran to his aunt's house. He was not strong enough. Instead, he looked up at the night sky. The moon had begun a new cycle to completion. And he whispered, "Luna, give him strength."

-----------------

Extremely sorry that it came out so late.
Vote. Comment.