Loners and Talkers

(Unedited)

My heart was beating rapidly against my chest and breathing was getting difficult.

Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out. I had to constantly repeat it to myself lest I stopped breathing. It would be a lie if I said I never thought what would have happened if I stayed. I would have a mate by my side. I would have a pack I would belong to. But most importantly, I would have Brandon by my side. What ifs had always been a plague in my life. At least I had moved on to healthier ones. 

"I can't do this," I whispered quietly. I could feel my wolf in the back of my mind. She was getting increasingly nervous. It was like a feedback to my growing anxiety. Making it stronger, wave after wave. Breathe in. Breathe out. What would I say to Brandon? Would he recognise me after so much time? Would I recognise him? Breathe in. Breathe out. The only thing positive to come out of this stupid madness of Alpha Cade's was that I would get to meet Brandon. He would be turning 19 soon. My big boy!

I twisted in the car seat to look at Alpha Cade. "How is Bran?" I was ashamed to be asking this now.

He laughed. These kind of laughs were supposed to degrade someone - spit on their face. "Now you care!"

I looked away from him. He was not wrong. I had abandoned Brandon the first chance I got. Clenching my fist, my nails dug in the pads of my palms. It cut the skin open. Pain was what I deserved. I heard Alpha Cade take a deep breath, and then it was silent.

We reached the pack soon. I recognized Gamma Drake when he stepped out of the shadows and into the headlights at the pack entrance. He did not change much. He was the same lean blond were with mischievous eyes. He got on the back seat as soon as Alpha slowed down. I spotted two wolves' eyes surrounding the car.

"Alpha," he curtsied to Alpha Cade, looked at me and ignored. I was fine with that. My mind was not really processing that I was in Lunar pack again.

"I hope we didn't have any incidents," Alpha Cade said without looking at Gamma.

"No. But we received news an hour ago that Blue Moon was attacked. They lost their Alpha." His voice was sombre. Alpha Cade punched the steering wheel. His hand went to push back some stray hairs from his forehead.

"Was anyone caught at least?"

"Yes, two of them. According to the truce, Beta Beth is overseeing their transfer."

"Good."

Everyone was silent till Gamma said, "We have prepared the room. Are you sure, Alpha?" I sensed hesitation in his voice.

Alpha Cade smiled. The same one that indicated how wild the human had become. "Go ahead, tell her."

Gamma looked uncomfortable, even more so than delivering the news of death. "Luna," he started but Alpha Cade interrupted him. "Call her by her name. She does not deserve to be called Luna," he sneered.

My wolf was hurt by his words, I on the other hand, was not fazed.

Gamma hesitated. "Umm, you will be confined to your cell. And you won't be allowed visitation from anyone."

I had to laugh. "So, you are throwing me in cell. Big fucking deal. This will not be the first time." It was hilarious.

Alpha Cade stared at me for a moment before he smiled and turned his attention on the road.

"You still have the crazy bug, I see," Gamma said with a grimace.

I turned in my seat and sneered at him. "Say that one more time." He raised his hands in surrender. A smile on his face. "Am I entertaining you?" I forced out.