The Pear Tree

(Unedited)

The Gamma female looked at me strangely. "You are Alpha Cade's mate!" she exclaimed. Then her surprise turned into a sneer, "I hope you suffer like you made him suffer."

My wolf perked up at his name. I could have died and she wouldn't have cared. But she would willingly chase the wind that whispered his name.

"Well, now you know my name." I pulled myself up on the bed along with the pelt and swayed on my feet, trying to stand up. My head was still messed up by the "water" she gave me.

"Moon, hope you are fine now," Alpha West said in his scratchy voice, still standing by the door. I remembered he had called me moon the first time he met me in Alpha Blake's office.

"Yeah." I shot back.

"I hope you will return to your male after you heal."

I couldn't go back. I had things to do; monsters to kill. "I will, thank you." I couldn't let him know that.

"Sonya, care for her. She is moon." He left.

"Alpha West is kind, he called you moon. You are a disgrace to that title." She circled me with a sneer on my face. I was not able to wrap my head around the fact that Alpha West was the Alpha of Riverside. All the horrible things that Riverside's Alpha was famous for didn't match the calm and collected way Alpha West talked to me those few times. He was wild, that was pretty clear but not vicious as the rumours portrayed him to be.

"Baba, please pass me the dress," Sonya said out loud. There was no one in the hut besides us. I saw the healer peep in with a smile. He was one crazy were.

"Here." He handed the dress to Sonya and left.

"You don't deserve our hospitality." She threw the dress at me.

My nails dug into the bed post, my mind was getting fuzzier every second.
"If you think I will lose my sleep over your comments, then let me stop you right there," I whispered. My strength was rapidly fading. I pulled the dress over my head and let the pelt fall around my feet. It hung loosely on me, reaching my knees. "That wasn't water, was it?"

"No. Just a little something to mess you up for a few hours. Take a nap, you will be fine."

I stumbled back onto the bed. Just a few minutes.

---------------------------

When I woke up again, it was dark. No one was around and my stomach was hurting. I needed to eat. The only thing in the small, sparsely lit hut was herbs and I was not going near them; the healer was crazy. I wouldn't put it past him to store poisonous plants.

Limping my way out of the hut, I noticed moon was high up in the sky and the air colder than the last night. Winter was just a month away. Soon, it would snow. Then, it would be 8 years since the night I last saw Brandon.

He will soon turn 19. My little boy! I longed to see him one more time, hold him in my arms, whisper to him that I love him.

"And where are you going?" It was Beta Luca. The giant male was slumping against the hut.

"I am hungry," I said simply.

He straightened and with a nod strolled towards the brightly lit village. The houses there were not mud huts like the one I was put in but small cottages, spread throughout. All of them were newly built, some still in process. I could still spot one or two mud huts as Beta took me further into the village. It was a sobering sight - pups were running around, wolves were roaming; I could hear the laughter coming from the cottages. Riverside was trying to find the perfect balance between their animal and human selves. Trees spanned every inch of available ground-it all looked beautiful under the dark sky.