12: Two Halves Of A Whole Idiot

I sit on the bench against the window looking out at the cold streets of New York. My old life seems like a distant memory and I've already begun to forget all my old shortcuts through alleys and where the best hideouts are. I fold up my sleeve exposing the gem. Since our little conversations earlier it hasn't spoken again and that's either really good or really bad. I'll just add that to the long list of things I don't know. I can hear Strange's cape wishing behind and turn around expecting to see him giving me a smug look but instead I find his cape floating on its own. Usually I'd be surprised but, like Sam, I've kind of built an immunity to all these weird things.

"Can I help you?" I ask but sigh knowing it can't answer. It floats up next to me and turns like it's looking out the window as well. We sit in silence for awhile as it begins to rain outside making the street lights glisten on the wet pavement.

"Enjoying the company?" I hear Stranges voice behind me but keep my eyes on the window.

"The cape yes, you? Not so much." My voice is cold and stern but he obviously doesn't care as he grabs the cloak pulling it over himself and taking its place on the bench. He sighs looking out the window and then to me.

"The Agent... I know he-"

"Yeah so do I, so drop it already." I snap but then feel guilty pulling my sleeve down and hugging my knees to my chest, resting my chin on them.

"I'm sorry." He says softly and I turn to him, seeing his distraught look I see a little sadness behind his usually nonchalant face.

"It's ok... it- it was my fault. I just don't want to think about it anymore..."

He touches my shoulder and I flinch cause him to mumble an apology before putting his hands back in his lap.

"It wasn't your fault. He was an agent it was his job and I think he knew what he was doing... in a way." My stone shakes agreeing and I roll up the sleeve letting it's light reflect off the window.

"He threw it to me, the stone, I tried to get us out but he touched it and it killed-"

I pause and squeeze my eyes closed at the word.

"I'm not good with uh comforting people or children in general..."

I huff and roll my eyes waiting for his ego to show itself.

"Death is what gives life meaning, we don't get to choose our time."

I turn to see little tears stinging his eyes and I stretch out my legs looking at him a little concerned.

"The Agent knew he was going to die in that alley but he gave the stone to you, his last choice was trusting you."

His words wash over me like a cool wave on the beach calming down my thoughts and, though I'm not letting him see, making me smile.

"Isn't it past your bedtime?" He asks turning up his nose and I roll my eyes seeing he's back to his old self.

"Um since my little walkie talkie buddy has my freaked out," I say holding up my wrist and causing the stone to shine brighter. "I don't think sleeping is going to happen."

"Tea then?"

"Definitely."

We make our way through the circle room and I stop in front of the pillar looking at the eye necklace. My stone is buzzing like crazy the closer I get.

"What's the jewelry?"  

He chuckles taking the necklace off the cuff I've grown to hate and placing it in my hands.

"The Eye of Agamotto"

"Fancy." I smirk putting it around my neck and turning it to face me.

"It's an infinity stone." I look at him wide eyed and throw off the necklace shoving it into his hands and stepping back.