18: The Wonder Twins

Sometimes I really want everyone to just be lying, it has so many upsides. First, I would never trust people which is really easy because I've been doing that since forever. Second, all this crazy weird stuff everyone's been telling me would be fake and I could go back to believing that my parents just abandoned me and my powers are some genetic deformity or something. That would be too easy though, right? I really wish that was true but looking at a younger me standing in front of Momentum labs I can't deny it. I pull up the picture on full screen and see it much clearer than I really want to. My brown hair is up in a ponytail and little plastic bows hold back the strays. I'm wearing what looks like mini scrubs but worst of all none other than Abbott is standing next to me holding my hand. The truth hits me like gun to the heart, all these lies becoming truth right in front of me. What Abbott said was true he did raise me and he did train me and now, looking at this picture, it all fits into place. I push out of the chair causing Peter to stand up as well. I can feel my heartbeat becoming faster and the stones no longer aggravated its furious but so am I. Furious at Abbott for not coming after me, furious at SHIELD from taking away what looks like a happy life. Most of all I'm furious at myself for being so guarded that I failed to see what was really going on. The screens around me grow brighter and Peter has to cover his eyes to see clearly.

"Echo, whatever this means, you're not what they made you, ok?" I can hear the sincerity in Peter voice but right now it's just a whisper compared to the stone.

"What else?" I grumble leaning on the computer desk and scanning over the document again. Peter gulps and watches me closely but pulls up the two other documents on the asset.

"Sorry but it seems that's the gist of it." I sigh leaning back into the chair as Peter reads off the info.

"Parents: unknown, Powers: unknown, Location: unknown, Date of Birth: unknown. Case closed on April 27, 2007 by Director Nick Fury. No contact and no witness. DANGEROUS if encountered evacuate all Agents and supplies from that area immediately."

He stops and stares at me but to my surprise he doesn't look even the slightest bit afraid. I rub my temples trying to stop my head from exploding with all this information.

"Ok, ok let's think about this. If the director of SHIELD closed the file then who reopened it and continued to monitor you?"

That sparks my attention as Peter squeezes into the chair next to me and we both lean forward. He types on the keyboard bringing up the code of the file and starts tying a seemingly random line of numbers and letters. He pauses before going back, deleting some and typing something new.

"Sorry this code thing is really more Neds area of expertise." He explains as more flies pop up on the screen. We both read over the documents and only find that they know nothing. Peter is still persistent but I know better than to get my hopes up. It's always been like this for me, not knowing who, or where or what.

"Wait, there!" he yells and I glare at him for being loud but look at the screen. I scan down to where he's pointing and see an oddly familiar name.

"Who's Agent Coulson?"

"I don't know but whoever he is he's the only person that can help me now." I can feel my mind trying to remember him but I can't put my finger on it. Which just make me even madder at SHIELD. I shove my hands in my hoodie pocket and find a crumpled up paper. I slowly pull it out and fold it to see Melinda Mays check up. My eyes can the page as the stone buzzes trying to show me something as my eyes fall on the bottom of the page.

"Agent Phil Coulson." I breathe and Peter stands up looking at the paper over my shoulder. "He works with Melinda May that's why the stone wanted me to grab this."