CHAPTER 26 FAMILIAR WARMTH

PHUN'S POV

The people in the settlement are somewhat like a small tribe of island people, the first settlers in this island a few decades ago. They are honest, warm people who live a rather simple and quiet life, treat each other as one big happy family, inter-pendent of one another.

Uncle Susu, the tribe leader to whom they dearly call "Chief" is like Uncle Norak's twin brother. However, they don't exactly look alike but there personality is. His hearty laugh would definitely reach to the other side of the island. Plus, he is a big and strong hugger. I felt like I may have broken some bones.( he he he )But I'm not complaining. It's rare to find that kind of warmth anywhere else and I felt we were lucky enough to have experience it here.

They had prepared a lavished banquet for us. I felt like the Prime Minister here sitting in this over-the-top long table filled with varieties of dishes and fresh fruits. We chatted as if we've known each other for a long time. We talked a wide array of topics from the island's progress, weather, politics, to recent medical discoveries. I noticed his apparent closeness to both Yoru and Night. His carefree ways are very fascinating to watch. He is a very transparent person. He'll laugh his heart's out that a crease would form in the corner of his eyes. Yoru's laughter feels so genuine and honest. It is infectious as I found myself curling up a smile just by merely hearing and seeing him laugh. I saw him smiled at me when our eyes locked at each other for just a mere second before he turns his gaze back to Uncle Chief. I fell the throbbing of my heart again.

"Aw.. Uncle Chief, we'll be going first",P' Jean The two girls had excused themselves since the night is getting late.

"Ok Nongs. Your room's the first one o the right", Uncle Chief instructed. "Wait, I'll call someone to walk you through. The path is a little bit dark".

"It's okay Uncle. I'll walk them through, if it's okay?", I offered to them as I got out of my seat. "I'm kinda sleepy too".

"Aw..I go with you. I'm pretty tired too",P' First followed on.

"okay then, your room is on the next bungalow right next to the girls ".

"Okay Uncle. Thank you. We'll go along first". We bid all everyone else good night as we walked our way to our rooms.

They had prepared two rooms for us to stay for the night. Nong Love and P' Jean are in a separate bungalow. Us, boys will stay on the other one. Three queen- size wooden beds were joined together to create one super long bed for the six of us. After showering, I laid on the farthest right corner of the bed right next to the wall (I don't know when I started sleeping on this side, but I feel most comfortable at this). P' First had already fallen asleep face down on the other side (guess, I'm not the only one who's exhausted although I'm pretty he's just physically tired unlike me).

I pillowed by left hand under my hand and placed the other one over my head. I could still see a glimpse of the night sky from the open window right above me. That familiar star stares back at me. It twinkles against the blackest sky as proudly as ever. My Noh, I'm lost.