Chapter 17

"But we just got back!" Craig complained, shoving clothes in his drawer.

"There's a meeting tomorrow," yesterday on our way back, an emergency council meeting had been called. Once they heard we were attacked, everyone freaked out: emails bombarded us, phone calls came in every minute, and the news was already up a story. Thankfully, all the Alphas were safe and only a few from my team got injured. I wrote the whole report on the way back so everything would be ready. Because of that, if he wasn't going to go, I was. And, by go, I mean to his parent's house. "If we don't go now, there might never be time. You never know what might happen so the present is the time to do it. Come on, they're not like us and won't live for long."

"You're type of long is very different from mine," he concluded.

"Yeah, probably," my smirk lifted the corners of my lips. Surely, he was close to saying yes.

"You'll go anyway, right?" Those eyes of his bore into me.

Did he already know me that well? "Yep!"

"Fine," he sighed. With one glance at me, he held me in his arms. "But, I want to go like this most of the way." Our faces barely had space in between them.

Heat centered on my cheeks. Before I could protest, Craig called out to Peter that we were going out for the night. Then, he broke out into a run once outside.

The driveway--if you could call it that--was littered with vines, weeds, sticks, and all sorts of nature. It was hard to pick through everything on our way to the house. Obviously, they hadn't left the property in years. After a limb clawed at my arm, I concluded that they really didn't want anyone intruding on their private place.

Once two yards away from the house, the lawn was cut and nature was tamed. A garden surrounded the side with flowers blooming all types of colors. The house was built from cedar logs and a brick fireplace; it was really small, probably only had two rooms.

From the inside, I could hear stomping all the way to the door. The both of us tensed, not knowing how they would react to our presence.

"Craig!" yelled out a feminine voice from the door. The woman had overalls on matching her gray braid--which ran down her back. Wrinkles covered her skin presenting her old age like a tree stump. "What's wrong? Did something happen?" She ran up to us while her husband trailed behind; she took a deep breath in. "Why are you an Immortal?" She turned to look at me. "Did she do this to you? You shouldn't have trusted her! She only wants to use you! Don't you understand? You need to wait for your mate!!" Her hands gripped his shoulders to move him closer.

"Mom," he growled, "stop it."

Instead, she barreled on. "If the Immortals had done their job, your poor adorable little sister wouldn't have been killed; she wouldn't want you to mate this slut. That Sabrina wouldn't be roaming around killing, poor innocent children. This lady will lead you down the wrong path. You must leave her!"

Taking one of her hands, I lifted it gently off of Craig. "Hello, ma'am, my name's Kailyn. I'm the commander that lead the party that brought Sabrina's downfall."

"What?" Her husband gasped. The both of them widened their eyes and their mouths hung agape.

Giving him a small smile, I turned to him. "Would it be alright if we sit down to discuss this?"

He nodded then hooked arms with his wife. Together, they lead us inside. Right inside the door, there was a tiny kitchen. A table stood off to the side. Then, there was another door in the right corner. It wasn't even close to the luxuries they used to have.

"Now, please tell me how you're connected to Sabrina," the father calmly stated. His wife opened her mouth with a snarl. "Stop Lilian. Just stop." Placing a hand on her shoulder, he turned back to me.