Chapter 18

After the meeting, I went into the testing hall to pick up Brandon. He was taking the Werewolf Council Administration test. Seeing me join gave him these new ambitions I was looking forward to observing.

"What? You came from the Woodland Furs pack? Hah, no wonder you're so puny. I heard the North finally got rid of Sabrina, you losers. If it was the South, we would've gotten rid of that problem in a year not a couple hundred." A boy spoke loudly with a Southern accent.

Rounding the corner, I picked out Brandon in a circle of boys.

Brandon's teeth grinned together. "MY LUNA is the girl you read about in those history books. She's the greatest female that ever lived."

"Yeah, uh huh, she's probably a sleazy old hag passed her expiration date."

Wow, now that was rude. Hag? Was that a new slang word or something?

"And, that's why you're going to fail," I announced with deliberate steps toward the group. "One: you're not making good connections you'll need in the future. Two: that 'I'm better than you attitude' will get you killed. Three: you don't know your current events very well signaling that you failed that portion of the test. Four: never underestimate a fellow werewolf. Five: remember where you are and always pay attention to your surroundings, because, young one, everyone else in this hallway is looking down on you now."

The group of boys flailed widely around then shrank in on themselves. The lead boy stepped forward, probably to gain back control of the situation. "Who are you miss?"

"The Woodland Fur's Luna, Kailyn Ortivo." I stuck out my hand for him to shake--which he did.

"K-Kailyn Ortivo the Immortal? The one that defeated Sabrina? The one that's reforming the council as the president? Th-the one in our history books...." The five boys gaped at me.

"Yes, now instead of talking down to a werewolf that's stronger than you, how about rereading the Sabrina case." Taking Brandon's hand, we took our time walking away.

When we were at a safe distance away, Brandon broke into giggles. "I can't believe that just happened! And, our epic getaway! I can see why they nominated you for the head of the Werewolf Council."

Over the course of five years, various changes were made. Humans found out about our existence which caused scuffles until I formed a pact with their government. During meetings, I revealed how close we've been to them. It gave them quite a shock; they even tried to tax us. Until I reminded them the ratio of werewolves to humans, they didn't leave me alone. Never in history have we caused tribulations with them. Simply, I told them how we've coexisted and the present isn't any different: they're just more aware.

We did start taxing the packs but only to preserve the land, one of the Alphas thought it up during a conference. Throughout history, natural disasters destroyed our packs so these taxes are for financial assistance.

Following that line, the conferences had transformed into magnificent events. There are conferences for all types of positions in a pack--even one for human mates. All of them have interacting activities that allows for a relaxing atmospheres. Plus, lessons and discussions are another important factor within them. Especially, now the humans are aware, I keep them updated on our relationship. Additionally, the Luna and Alpha Conferences are at the exact same time with different schedules. The only thing colliding was the free time and meeting at the end of the conference. They especially like how I make time for them even though I'm head of the council now.

Days after Gaelynn's attack, I found myself in the hospital laying with Craig. Gracie came and asked me if I wanted to be head of the council. She mentioned how she was too old for the position and I wasn't tainted by the power yet. Hopefully, never. The werewolves really only trust me after Gaelynn's betrayal was leaked. Fact was, the members already voted for me to lead so I couldn't really back out of it.

Anyway, the WCCBA grew exponentially. There were several branches across the nation; many females from packs volunteer and applied for a job. Humans now know who to call when they notice domestic violence towards a pup. During Luna conferences, we decided new ways to assist the children. Hopefully, this agency will continue to grow instead of decay after I die.

Over the years, humans and werewolves alike have heard about my ability. Day after day someone begs me to change them. Should I change someone just on the whim? Or when they're about to die? What gives me the right to transform anyone? It's not right. But, I was given this power for Immortals to survive. There's only 250 including Brandon and Peter since I bit them three years ago.

Not to mention, Ella's health has deteriorated; she developed cancer because of the overuse of the immortal medicine. Every other week, Ryan and I visit her in the hospital, informing her on what's been going on. Recently, she met another male wolf who's diagnosed with the same cancer--from different causes. Honestly, they're the saddest couple I've ever met. Everyday, I pray that they live a happy life together while they can.

Hey, let's hit the road. They're already waiting for us.

Today was mother's and father's death anniversary so Rachel and George came up to visit with their little ones. Because we never got to watch the sunset many nights ago, we decided to do it every anniversary. This way, we remember the good things we have in life.

On the way back, Brandon and I jammed out to the music. Seriously, over the years, this boy was gaining a rocking voice. Soon, he'll get a mate to show off to as well.

Once there, Craig lifted me up in a snuggling embrace. "Ready to go fireball?"

"Yep!" I chirped back. Everything was perfect!

I can't wait to see their reactions!

I couldn't help but chuckle out loud.

Rachel, George, and their two little boys scuttled into view. Bouncing on my feet, I shifted then the others. Their sons jumped on George's back as we raced to the Illuminating pack's abandoned land.

Taking a chance, Rachel snipped George's tail. She sped out of his reach. Suddenly, I was shoved over.

He did not! Tag him back; tag him back!

On spiked adrenaline, we chased each other around the woods. Rachel almost toppled over the cliff with how fast she was sprinting. Just slightly alarmed, except George who flipped out, we shifted. The sun spilled out over the treetops coloring the sky.

"Birds flying high, you know how I feel," my voice carried on the wind. Birds chirped to the rhythm of my voice from Feeling Good by Avicii. "Sun in the sky, you know how I feel. Breeze driftin' by, you know how I feel." The sense of peace and excitement shivered beneath my skin.

"It's a new dawn. It's a new day; it's a new life for me yeah. And I'm feeling good. Fish in the sea, you know how I feel. River running, you know how I feel. Blossom on the tree, you know how I feel. It's a new dawn; it's a new day; it's a new life for me. And I'm feeling good. And I'm feeling good." This new development makes for a whole new era in our lives. The world is brighter with each passing day.

"Dragonfly out in the sun you know what I mean, don't you know. Butterflies all havin' fun, you know what I mean. Sleep in peace when day is done--that's what I mean. And this old world is a new world and a bold world for me." My eyes migrated to Craig's.

"Stars when you shine you know how I feel. Scent of the pine, you know how I feel. Oh freedom is mine and I know how I feel. It's a new dawn; it's a new day; it's a new life for me. It's a new dawn; it's a new day; it's a new life for me. And I'm feeling good; and I'm feeling good." An echo of my singing responded back to me from the valley.

Shifting my vision back to the fading sun, I reveled in the silence for a moment. "I'm pregnant," my cheesy smile met Craig's glowing face.

"Hopefully," he whispered in my ear, "that our baby's voice is as brilliant as yours."

"The pup has an amazing family sitting right here ready to guide her through this world." My family and I were going to teach her how to sing.