Thanks For The Help

Frank hadn't taken his eyes off mine.

"Well lemme lie to you some more then! I am completely not attracted to you whatsoever." I replayed what he had said in my head again. For some reason, I could tell he wasn't joking or trying to be funny anymore. The only thing I could bring myself to do was swallow the lump that had formed in my throat. I felt my eyebrows automatically go up and my eyes go a bit wide.

"Frank..." I starting chuckling by accident, "You don't even know me...enough...to like me."

He cleared his throat and rubbed his face hard with both his hands. "Ugh!"

My eyes went wide in reflex. "What? What's your problem?"

"Ugh, I don't know okay? I--I don't wanna make this awkward never mind." He said.

"Just say what you have to say." I responded.

"Look. We're close to the end of everything and I don't know how much time we have left, but all I know right now is that I wanna spend all of our last days with you..." Frank said looking very concentrated on the ground.

My eyes started filling with tears but I couldn't bring myself to cry. I couldn't this time. Because half of what he said sounded like the cheesiest thing ever. My stomach and head started filling with anger, I couldn't exactly explain what I was feeling. But I knew I wasn't feeling that mushy-gooey-lovely-dovey feeling for Frank at the moment.

"End...of everything?" I said with clenched teeth. "End of the everything huh? I thought we could fix all of this. I thought that THAT'S what we were all training for. Now all of a sudden--now you're telling me that this could be the end?"

Frank is a good guy and all but I'm mostly going on this mission because of my parents. Being in a relationship was the last thing on my mind. And end of the world? I thought everything was gonna work out. Gerard kept reassuring that everything would be okay. Now I was rethinking everything. All of this sounds so dramatic and stupid it's unbelievable. I don't have time for this.

Suddenly there was a tire drift. I looked in it's direction along with the guys. It was a car just like our trans am but it was white with extremely tinted windows, you couldn't see through them at all. The car stopped in our small site where we had our car and our little campsite area if that's what you wanna call it. The back door opened and a girl revealed herself and closed the door behind her. I put my hand on my gun that was in my back pocket in reflex. I don't know why really. I guess my reflexes were getting faster when I felt that we we're in danger, and/or I was intimidated by her right away. She was just a tad taller than me. With jet black hair down to her belt and piercing green eyes. She basically had a killjoy costume too. Her theme was green and yellow. You could just tell right away. She was a killjoy. Just like us. That's what made me let go of my gun.

I looked at the guys to see if I could get their input on her from the look in their eyes without asking anything out loud. Ray and Mikey continued to scan her, Gerard looked suspicious of her and Frank? I glanced at Frank and he looked MESMERIZED by her. I got this feeling in my stomach. I couldn't tell what it was about...

"I'm Veronica." she finally spoke up. She had such a calming voice. And her green eyes were just piercingly beautiful. Crap she was really pretty. I couldn't help but be a little jealous.

"Hi there." Frank said from behind me. I couldn't tell what the tone of his voice was. Veronica smile at him. She hadn't looked at me once yet. And I didn't know how to feel about that...

'Nope. No no no, don't you smile at him, he just poured himself out to me and I can't tell what he thinks of you.' I thought.

"You guys lost?" She glanced at Ray and Gerard, but mostly kept her eyes locked on Frank's.

"No." I said simply. But now that I think about it, I probably sounded way more stern than I meant to be. Her eyes met mine. I couldn't tell what she was thinking at all. I wanted to be nice to her, considering she was one of us. But something made it so hard and I couldn't even tell what. Jealously? No. Just no. I can never admit to that. Not even in my own head.

"We're fine here. We know what we're doing." I continued forcing a small smile so I didn't seem so tense.

"Ahh... Okay. Well my group and I heading up north and clearly we just saw you guys here so we decided to stop real quick." She scanned our area. "You guys look kinda low on supplies... We have so much, we don't mind giving you some before we continue to head out."

"Aw man that'd be really nice of you." Ray spoke up finally.

"You'd really do that? Wow." Gerard added.

"Oh yeah! Anything for some fellow killjoys. We can give you a full case of supplies. It's kinda heavy..." She chuckled quietly, tucking some hair behind her ear and looked down shyly. "Do you mind? It's in the trunk."

"Heavy?" I asked. I looked at the guys. "You know, I think it'd be better if we just traveled lightly yknow?" I said. I didn't want her help. I didn't wanna hear the guys go on and on about how nice it was of her to help. I don't know.

"Melody we have a car, it's not like we're walking." Frank said flatly. I didn't respond.

"It's heavy?" He looked back to Veronica. "Gerard and I will take it out for you. No biggie." Frank grinned.

I watched Ray and Mikey who now went to our car trunk, I'm guessing to make room for the supply case we were receiving from The wonderful Veronica and her lovely group. I don't know why her group didn't just come out and give it to us if it was so important to them for us to have.

I heard something. Something muffled. I looked back and realized Gerard and Frank weren't at Veronica's trunk anymore. I looked closely, and she was stuffing them in their trunk. "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!" I screamed causing Ray and Mikey to look at what was happening. I ran towards her and tried to push her down but she took me by the shoulders and threw me to the ground. Her strength was unreal. It wasn't that I was weak. She was abnormally strong. Not for her size, but for a human period. She ran and opened the car door, and inside wasn't a group of killjoys, there were Dracs...and they drove off...with Gerard and Frank stuffed in the back. Mikey and Ray started shooting but their car wasn't taking any damage whatsoever. The entire time my breathing was bad and shaky, and I was already sore from her throwing me. Ray ran to me, "God, Melody are you okay?" I didn't respond but I winced a little. Mikey rushed over and examined me. He moved my shirt a little, revealing a bruise on my shoulder that had already formed. "Well shit." Mikey said.

"No no please." I said in one breath. "I wouldn't worry about a little bruise." But now I finally started processing everything that happened. My eyes started watering again. But not in pain.

In anger.

"We have to save them. I don't care what happens to me. We have to get them back."