Grey

Getting home afterwards and heading back out on Monday was a nightmare. Waking up in a Monday is dreadful, but after making sure you'd killed a loose end? I think I can be excused for a day off.
Unfortunately, my mother thought different. She ushered me out of the door as soon as I'd eaten and got dressed. It's a good thing I kept deodorant in my bag. Emergencies only. Obviously. After spraying myself down, I carried on with my hard and difficult walk down the road to school. I was there before anyone else, and I thought that it was all clear, so I asked the mask in my mind "can you hear my thoughts?"
'I mean if you want to speak to me through them, yes.' The mask replied in my mind. 'We've done it before, remember? Plus, you can speak to me back. Just think. I'll hear it' I could almost see it wink.
'Alright. That's good. Are you smart?' I asked it, praying.
'Yes I am.' It said back, almost instantly. 'I'm one of the smartest artifals there are'
'Wait, what are artifals? Dumbest name I've heard' I replied, thinking about what I was gonna do. I mean, I couldn't impress her anymore, could I? There would be no point. She's been taken by Red.... Bitch. I want to kill him. So much. And I have the power. Heh. A smile creeped its way across my face.
'Focus!!' The mask blasted through my thoughts, drawing my attention.
'Oh, Yeah Yeah.' I tried to focus at what he was saying
'Artifals are... basically God weapons on earth. I'm one. There was a shield, a knife, and I suppose you'd call it a "shotgun". Nothing fantastic though. You swung them and hit them. You'd win every fight though. Well, with these, Tyrants and deranged killers would run the world, just getting rid of anyone who wouldn't listen. Well, one day, humanity had enough, and a massive group of them hanged up on the current Tyrant. I can't remember what his name was. Anyway, they used the artifals to kill him, and make sure he never came back to life. They then lit a fire, and threw all of the artifals in it.'
'Wait, how are you here then?' Slightly confused, I tried to make sense of how that would work.
'Ah, here was the clever bit. As a creation that can understand a humans mind, I searched the crowd for a man who wanted power. And I found one. I sent him thoughts that I could lead him to victory and suffice and happiness and all that sappy stuff. When he snuck me away in his cloak, I told him to put me on. He did. I made him drown himself with me on his head. I made sure to detach myself as he died, so I floated down the river. Ever since, I've been passed down, from person to person, and every person has got what they wanted. Except the first one. He was greedy. He locked me away, and didn't let me see sunlight. So I killed him by drowning.' The mask paused. 'It's the only human I've killed, and it will be the only one.'
'Well, you've had some travels, and some great time. I'm so sure about all the death and the Tyrants, but I'd like to find an artifal. That would be pretty cool.' Bonding with this wasn't a bad idea. It had some good stories.
'It has been, my boy. Anyways, I'm here to help you, not distract you. What should we do so you can get your girl?' The mask waited for a good minute whilst I thought of an answer. I guess I knew what the answer was. Of course I did. I just didn't want to admit it
'Getting rid of Red. That's all we can do.' I said sullenly. I hated him, and I said I could kill him, but could I really? I don't know. I'd have to use the mask. But how would I stop him leaving? Ugh. Fuck. This is so complicated! I thought I'd just, I dunno, stab him or something
'Hey! Hey! I've got you' The mask calmed me 'you've got to make sure he can't. So, basically, slit his kneecaps. His body will just fall, and, even better, you can't heal. So if you don't finish them, the bleeding will. If not, he can't run away. You've stumped him then, lad.'
'It'll do, I suppose. I mean I don't want to, but... I guess I could try?' I tried to work around the idea. I'd get my girl, and no one would miss him. Mercedes would heal and love me over time. Perhaps I'd even be a rebound. Who knew.
'Alright, let's do it. Let's kill him.'

I'll be honest, I've never felt a buzz as powerful as the one I felt all day. Beforehand though, I went to find Red. It was a good thing he was all alone, so I took the advantage and spoke to him
"Hey Red!" I called to him. Justin had just rounded the corner. I really hope he didn't hear me.
"Oh! Hey Grey, how's life?" Red was also buzzing, probably because he stole my girl. My girl. Ugh. Bitch.
"It's good, but how's you? Heard you bagged a cute thing!" I put on a fake smile and kicked up a convo
"Yeah, she's gonna be my life. It's gonna be wonderful." He said dreamily.
I'm gonna put you to sleep forever motherfucker.
"Nice to hear man. Nice to hear. Anyways, can I speak to you? Around lunch. I'd tell you now, but it's pretty important. And I'd rather no one heard. So can you do me a favour and not tell anyone? And don't let anyone follow you, please. I'm serious." I pleaded. Jesus, I'm good at this fake shit. I should've taken Drama.
"Yeah, of course man! If you need my help I'm here. As always. I'll be there." He said, waving as he left.
'Well, that was surprisingly easy. Or a lot more than I thought, anyway' the mask piped up in my head
'Yeah, me too.' I said, almost feeling sorry for him.
'Well, that's one stage down, my boy. One more to go' The mask said, sounding jolly, trying to lighten the mood.
'Yeah, and I'm going to enjoy stage two' I replied. 'I'm going to enjoy every single second of it'