CHAPTER THREE

After dinner, Four and Eric came back and guided us through a dozen dark hallways, back to where our dormitory was.

"Right, time for bed Transfers, we'll see you bright and early tomorrow... That's if you make it through the night," Eric said with a smirk. I stifled a laugh - I knew he probably wasn't joking, but there was something about what he said that humoured me.

"What do you mean if we make it through the night?" A wide eyed Erudite girl asked.

"That's for me to know and you to find out."

"Oh, please," I muttered, barely audible, but Eric, again proving my theory of being able to hear things no one else can hear, raised his eyebrows slightly and looked at me.

"Right, off to bed," Four instructed, realising something was up with Eric. I went to walk away, but for the second time that day I heard someone say my name. I sighed and turned around.

"Yes?" I responded.

"You really need to start watching your mouth. I don't like you and that's not a good thing," Eric said, lowering his voice.

"I'm not sure it makes much of a difference whether you like me or not, you don't seem to like anyone," I snapped, not realising what I had just said.

"Eric, time to go," I heard Four call over, saving me from what was to come.

"We're not done here," Eric muttered, turning away.

"Oh I do look forward to our next meeting," I mumbled, forgetting that Eric seemed to have super human hearing. The look he gave me was cold enough to freeze hell over, and that's when you know that shit is serious. I walked over to the free bed next to Sage and got changed into a t-shirt and some shorts, putting my ring under my mattress. Jasper and Chase were on the two beds next to Sage, and I was up against the wall. The lights turned off and we all settled down to go to sleep, although I don't think anyone actually slept for hours.

**

All too soon we were being woken up by Four hitting a metal rod against the pole and turning on the lights. I could hear the groans from all the initiates, all agreeing - without having to say anything - that it was far too early to wake up.

"It's seven o'clock, you need to be in the training room at 8 o'clock sharp. Anyone who's late will have to stay an hour later after training."

I rolled over onto my side, facing Sage's bed, but she wasn't there. I was wondering where she was when I got pulled out of bed and fell onto the floor. As I looked up I realised I didn't need to wonder anymore, she was the one who had pulled me out of bed. She was stood there, fully dressed with her hair and make up already done and a slice of toast in both hands.

"I wasn't sure if you were someone who was really quick at getting ready, or really slow, so I decided to get a piece of toast for you anyway just to be sure."

"You're a lifesaver," I said and breathed a sigh of relief, clearly showing that I was slow in the mornings.

"My mother used to wake me up half an hour early just so she could force me to have breakfast, which I hated her for." Sage laughed at that, but I realised that I had made a mistake. I shouldn't be talking about Candor, I needed to let go of it. I grabbed the toast from Sage and quickly ate it then hurried into the bathroom to wash my face and put my hair into a ponytail. I went back into the dormitory to find some clothes to wear and then went back to the bathroom to put on a bit of mascara and eyeliner.

By the time I went back into the dormitory it was empty except for Sage who was sat on my bed, still waiting for me. I felt a twinge of guilt when I realised that she was willing to get into trouble for me. When she saw me come in she stood up and we both starting running to the training room. We managed to get to the training room with just a few minutes spare, and even though we were on time and no one should be upset, the look from Eric and Four told a different story. I inwardly rolled my eyes at how childish they were.

"The first thing we're going to teach you today is how to use and shoot a gun. The second will be how to fight and how to win a fight," After Four had said this, Eric took a step forward.

"Initiation is split into 3 stages. Physical, emotional and mental. You will be ranked throughout each stage. The different stages are not weighed equally, so although it is incredibly difficult, it isn't impossible to improve your rank over time."

"What do the ranks determine?" An Erudite boy asked.

"Well, they determine what jobs you will get after initiation, but-" Four said, only to be cut off by Eric.

"But this year we decided to do things differently. If you aren't above a certain point in the rankings after the stage of initiation, you will be cut," A sadistic smile had formed on Eric's face as he said this.

"Cut?" The same Erudite boy asked again.

"Well, either you choose to be factionless or you choose to die. It's entirely up to you - not that it makes much difference."

Listening to him saying all of this and seeing his reaction to it, I knew that what Elliot had been saying was true. The only times I had ever seen him smile was when us Transfers were being told something either completely terrifying like choosing between death and being factionless, or something humiliating, like having to shower in front of everyone.

Everyone had gone silent at this point, and it was only when Four was walking past everyone and handing us guns that people finally started talking again.

"Guys, I could barely get onto the train. How am I going to make it through initiation?" Jasper asked us quietly.

"We're all going to help each other, okay? If one of us is falling behind, we'll try and help. Promise?" Sage asked the three of us.

"Promise." Chase, Jasper and I confirmed.

We went to a different shooting range each, and I wasn't too nervous. I had read a lot about guns and I knew how to put bullets in the chamber, I knew how to aim and shoot. But I had never been able to put any of what I had read into practice, until now. I just hoped that all of the reading I had done had paid off. I stood with my legs apart, took aim and pulled the trigger. It didn't hit the center of the target, but it wasn't far off. I was determined to hit the center, so I took aim again and this time it hit bulls-eye. I guess all that reading did pay off.

"Wow, Candor. I guess I thought wrong about you." I heard Eric's voice say in my ear.

"What do you mean?" I asked, actually curious as to what he thought of me.

"I thought you were all talk, no game. Just another mouthy, little Candor. But you've proved me wrong, you're the first one to hit the target. Not many Transfers can even hit it after a day, but you hit it after two shots. I still don't like you, though," He added as he walked off.

Mouthy, little Candor? I was desperate to show him how very wrong he was. Yes, I can shoot a gun properly, but now I just want to pass every single stage in initiation with flying colours, just so I could prove him that I'm not "all talk, no game", but that I actually deserve to be here. I want to prove to him that I am Dauntless through and through. 

I stood with my legs apart again and aimed, hitting the center of the target again. I shot again and again, until all bullets in the chamber of the gun were gone. I looked at the target and only one of the bullets hadn't hit the center, that being the first time I shot at it. I smiled to myself, knowing that I was one step close to proving Eric wrong.