CHAPTER NINE

"This morning you'll be practicing your fighting techniques, and then in the afternoon you will be fighting each other. You will be scored on this," Four informed us, his hands behind his back, looking around at all of us.

I shifted uncomfortably, remembering what had happened last time. If they paired me with Lee again I don't know what would happen.

"Chase and Iris, you will be practicing together," Eric said, reading out the pairings. I breathed a sigh of relief. Chase and I would be good for each other as we would point out each other's mistakes without feeling offended.

I looked around and saw that Sage had been paired with an Erudite boy she seemed to know called Jason. Jasper had been paired with Lee and Layla and Toby were together.

"Right, come on then, show me what you've got," Chase said, trying to look serious but failing miserably.

I attempted to copy his expression, and curled up my hands, putting them in front of my face, "Oh Newman, you are so not ready."

"Well Freestone, I think it's worth a shot," He said and went to punch my side. I dodged him and threw an uppercut, landing on his jaw. He stepped back for a moment, blinking fast and nodded.

"Good one, didn't see that coming." I smiled at his comment and a moment later felt a blow to my stomach which I had left uncovered.

"Oh Newman, it's on," I smirked as he did back at me. He attempted to punch my side, which I dodged and kicked his side. He drew in breath and threw a right hook. I attempted to dodge it, but I wasn't quick enough and he hit the edge of my cheekbone. Although it didn't have the impact he intended, it still shocked me a bit. I started laughing for no reason and Chase joined in.

"Quit playing, start practicing," Eric said, walking past us.

I looked at Chase and rolled my eyes, "Always the kill joy."

**

"What if I get put with Lee again?" I asked Sage as we walked into the training room.

She paused for a moment, biting down on her bottom lip to help her think. "Just try to keep your anger under control. I don't know what he said, and I'm not going to ask as I know you'll come to me when you want to talk, but whatever he says, just ignore him. He's an ignorant asshole who doesn't deserve any attention from you, whatsoever."

"Besides," Jasper said, interrupting, "I don't think Eric and Four are stupid enough to do that."

"Right, this afternoon you will be fighting each other. You will be scored on this," Four told us, looking around at everyone. He pulled the sheet off of the chalkboard where all our names were written.

Chase vs. Jason

Iris vs. Toby

Sage vs. Lee

Layla vs. Jasper

When I saw that Sage had been paired with Lee, I turned around to look at her, her expression of worry mirroring mine. Jasper came up to us, putting a hand on her shoulder, rubbing his thumb against it soothingly.

"Just kick him in the nuts," Chase said, smiling, trying to put a positive spin on things.

"He'll probably fight dirty, so you need to do the same," I told her, remembering the things he said yesterday. That was dirty.

Sage nodded and grabbed my hand as we walked over to sit on the benches. Chase and Jason stepped into the arena, both nodding at each other. After ten minutes Chase was sitting on top of Jason. They were both good fighters, but Chase had spotted Jason's weak spot and gone for it, causing him to win.