CHAPTER SEVEN

Four pulled the sheet that had been put over the chalk board off to reveal who we would start practicing with. I breathed a sigh of relief as I saw Sage and Jasper had been put together. Judging from yesterday, fighting wasn't their strong point. Chase had been paired with the Erudite boy who had been asking about rankings yesterday, Toby, and I had been paired with someone called Lee.

I looked around to see if I could find my partner, and came face to face with someone standing less than a meter away from me. He had white blonde hair and crystal blue eyes and would have been good looking, however something about the way he smiled was dark and off putting.

"I'm Lee, no need to introduce yourself, Iris. I remember you from Candor, and you were also the first jumper which is always something," He said, looking me up and down like I was a piece of meat.

"You're from Candor?" I asked him. If I hadn't of known he was a transfer, I would have thought he was Dauntless born looking at the way his muscles were stretching his t shirt.

"Yes, I was in your Maths class, but I doubt you remember me. I was sat at the back with the rest of the slackers, whilst you were sat right at the front with all the smart ones. I thought you would have chosen Erudite," He said, his smile still plastered on his face. I was getting more and more uncomfortable by the minute.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't really notice anyone else..." I trailed off. He was still looking at me as if I was a bone and he was a dog.

"Yeah well, with an ego the size of yours, it must be hard to see anyone else."

"What did you say?" I asked in disgust.

"Come on Iris, we all know you're full of yourself. It must come from that slut mother of yours."

That had done it. I launched myself at him, knocking him over and sat on top of him. I didn't even think about what I was doing, all I knew was that I wanted to hurt him. I punched him over and over again and didn't even register that the whole room had gone silent and that Four was shouting at me to stop. I felt someone's arms wrap around me dragging me away from Lee, and started struggling.

"Get off me!" I yelled at whoever was grabbing me.

"Not until you calm down," I heard his low voice. Four. Of course, Eric would never have stopped me. I looked around to see where Eric was and I couldn't spot him anywhere.

"Okay, okay fine! I'm calm, now let me go." I demanded, trying my best to pretend I was calm. Four let me go and I turned to face him.

"Come on Iris, let's take you back to the dormitories," He said, sighing, rubbing his hand over his head.

I turned to walk with Four and just as he turned his back on me I ran back and kicked Lee in the ribs. I had always been told never to kick a man when he's down, but Lee was no man, and he had insulted my mother, no one gets away with that, not after what happened.

"Iris!" Four yelled at me, coming towards me again.

I put my hands up, signalling I wasn't going to do anymore. I looked back at Lee and smiled, satisfied with the work I had done.

"Freak," the Erudite girl, Layla, muttered, just loud enough for me to hear. I laughed at this, knowing that even though it's probably true, it was definitely going to help me through Dauntless.

We walked in silence the rest of the way, both of us not knowing what to say. As we got to the dormitory, Four turned to me.

"Are you going to explain what the hell that was about?"

"I felt like it," I shrugged, lying to him. I didn't really want to get into why someone saying that about my mother would affect me so much. Besides, we were supposed to forget about our family once we transferred to a different faction. Faction before blood.