t h r e e;

Dan;

The small shop is now filled with the grand total of three people, the couple now flirting together relentlessly. I wonder if they're soulmates. Honestly, now practically noone cares about the soulmate thing, it's just an inconvenience for most really. You'd think that in a society where soulmates are an actual things like dating apps wouldn't be thriving, but as I've learned, if you're happy with someone you should just settle instead of searching for a soulmate like a lost puppy. Shivers run down my spine as I briefly remember high school. It was all just foolish really, I shake all my memories of him away as the images start to blur again. I can barely remember his face anymore. Oh god I need a drink.

I leaned back onto the counter as I heard the store's bell to go off, but I barely looked up.

"What will it be?" I asked, looking down at the cash register. The person was quiet for a few seconds, so I assumed they were looking at our offers.

"A medium hot chocolate, please," A hot chocolate in a coffee shop, not bad.

"Take away or here?" I asked, pressing the buttons for hot chocolate on the confusing machine.

"Here," The voice answered somewhat awkwardly. I'd feel a bit awkward too if someone you were ordering coffee, well hot chocolate, from someone who barely looked at you.

"That'll be 2 pounds 50," I said, looking directly at him for the first time, trying to put on a smile. He was searching through his satchel. His hair was black and he looked quite put together. Not bad. He finally dug up his wallet from which he pulled out the exact amount of money, making my job a million times easier. I practically threw the money into the cash register and smiled at him briefly as I turned around to go make his drink. For the brief moment our eyes met, his eyes seemed to engrave themselves into my memory.

I topped off the warm drink with some whipped cream and put the white cup onto the small plate and decided to carry it to his table instead of yelling out his name, since he looks busy and I didn't even get his name. His head is practically buried in his laptop. I walked over to him and quietly slid the small plate with the hot chocolate onto his table. I was about to turn around and walk back behind the counter, but then he looked at me and smiled.

"Thank you," He said quietly, sliding the cup closer to him. I just awkwardly smiled back before speed walking back behind the counter. Why could I not just walk away? Why did I decide to look at him for a second longer? Why does he look oddly familiar?