Chapter 13

The next day felt like a dream. Todoroki got up from his bed with his vision foggy. He shrugged it off as himself not getting enough sleep. As he stood up though, he staggered. His head spun and holding onto the wall was his only way of balance. He stood still for a few moments before trying to walk again.

He managed to successfully walk to the bathroom. Once there, Shoto began to brush his teeth. After spitting, he lifted his head to see his reflection staring back at him. As if he had been crying all night, red and swollen eyes met his.

He didn't remember crying last night. In fact he didn't remember much from last night after Midoriya left. It was all a blur. His mind seemed to want to block out the event and never look back at it again.

- - -

After a shower and getting dressed in his proper school uniform, Todoroki left the house. He didn't bother to grab breakfast as he wasn't hungry. He simply walked out the door, making sure to lock it after.

He walked quietly down the street. He felt emptiness beside him. And he knew why.

Todoroki soon came to a street corner. One way turned towards the school, the other to Midoriya's house. He felt a strong force pull him towards Izuku's home. He wanted to go, so badly. He could feel every bone in his body tell him to go. Run to him Todoroki! He's your soul mate! You must be with him!

You'll hurt him. You'll abuse him. You'll be just like your father.

Todoroki shook his head and turned towards the school. He couldn't be selfish. This was for Izuku's own good.

- - -

Todoroki sat at his desk and stared blankly at the front of the classroom. His gaze was still foggy from this morning. Man, I must really be tired. How late was I up last night?

He heard the classroom door open and close but didn't turn his head. He heard fuzzy voices speaking. He began to drift. Todoroki was slowly lowering his head onto his desk. He closed his eyes and let himself fall asleep.

- - -

A tap on his shoulder woke Shoto up. He raised his head to meet the bright green eyes of Izuku Midoriya.

His fluffy green hair looked like an elaborate forest atop his head. His freckles marked his cheeks like stars in the night sky. Once their eyes met Midoriya looked away. He bit his lip and closed his eyes. He opened them again after the moment passed.

"Hey," he said carefully, still not meeting the other boy's eyes. Todoroki struggled for eye contact but didn't get it. He sighed. "Hey"

"So I wanted to ask you something..." Izuku said quietly. Todoroki's breath hitched. He didn't want to get into another fight, especially not in the middle of their classroom. Midoriya saw the sudden alarm on Todoroki's face and realized how bad that must've sounded.

"No, uh, not that." Hearing that Todoroki let out a heavy breath. "I was going to ask if you maybe wanted to come over afterschool today? So we could properly talk..."

Their eyes finally met again. Todoroki then saw what he hadn't seen before. Izuku's eyes were like his this morning, only more red and puffy. It was like he had been crying recently. He was crying this morning. Todoroki looked away and gripped the sides of his desk. I did that to him. I caused him this pain. It's my fault.

Just like your father...

"No," he said and didn't meet Izuku's eyes. "What?" Izuku's voice cracked slightly as the words left his mouth. "I'm sorry..." Todoroki said quietly. He couldn't do it. He couldn't look into those eyes again.