Chapter 4: Novacane Part One

Frank

I walked out another session feeling pretty good. I need to start doing what we discussed. I can't avoid this shit forever. I looked at my watch, 4:15 pm. I have to be at the studio in fifteen minutes. The guys and I are supposed to record some sweet shit. Now I'm here in the studio. Everyone is here ready to record, but me. My notepad is empty. My mind is empty. I have so many songs written in this notepad but none fit my mood for the day. Everyone is patiently waiting for me to pick a song so we can continue on my album. Went through my notepad for the seventh time. Nothing is jumping out at me. I throw my notepad down in frustration and rub my temples. I set a high bar for myself, so high I can't even reach it. 

?- We can schedule for another time.

Frank- Yeah we should. I'm shooting blanks right now

I told them goodbye and sorry for wasting their time. As soon as I open my car door my phone starts buzzing in my pocket. I got it out then got in my starting it up as I looked at my phone. I had a text from CJ. "Come over (;"was all that it said. My phone buzzed again. Her address popped up under the previous text. I was there in ten minutes. I pulled up behind her car. I was kinda nervous leaving Neff alone in this neighborhood but she'll be fine. I hope. She greeted me at the door. Her hair was down and messy. She had a crop top on and some baggy sweats. Still beautiful. 

CJ- You got here mighty fast.

Frank- I saw the windy face and I had to come in a hurry (laughs)

She steps back and laughed letting me in the house. It was pretty clean besides a few magazines thrown about on the coffee table. She led me back to her room. Her room, on the other hand, was a mess. Clothes were thrown everywhere, a desk you couldn't even tell if it was really there because it was so covered in random stuff, and a floor you were kind of afraid to step on because of the piles of clothes. But her bed was perfectly clear. It wasn't a California king, but it wasn't a twin either. She threw herself on it and laughed again. I was too busy figuring out where to sit. 

CJ- You can sit next to me Chris. I don't bite.

I forgot she calls me Chris. No matter how many times I tell her it isn't my name anymore she continues to call me it. I smiled and shook my head and sat at the end of her bed.

Frank- So why did you want me to come over?

CJ- I needed some company.

Frank- What about your grandmother?

CJ- She's in the hospital again...

She lowered her head. Her hair covered her face. 

CJ- She's dying right in my face Chris. I knew she would go but not this soon.

She looked up and I saw her eyes start to water. Her grandmother is all that she has left. I know it has to be hard seeing the one you love die in front of you. She wiped her face and went looking for something under her bed. She came back up with a metal box. She opened it. I was curious as to what was in the box. She pulled out a baggie. I knew exactly what she was about to do. She began the process of rolling a blunt. Once she finished she lit it up and took a hit. 

CJ- Want some?

I watched as she took another hit. I could smoke some. I have been a bit stressed lately. This wouldn't be my first time smoking. She handed it to me. I took it and put it up to my lips in inhaled it. With each hit, I took my body got more and numb. I felt my body sinking into her bed. My muscles were very relaxed. We began laughing at nothing. Soon we were trying to beat each other to the kitchen. I felt like I needed to eat everything. Other than that I didn't feel much of anything. After that everything was a blur. There were very few things I could remember. I remember going through her fridge and cabinets looking for food.

Frank- Where are your donuts?

CJ- (smashing on some chips) Don't have any.

I remember going into her living room watching a movie.

Frank- Why do you have me watching this crazy shit?

CJ- You can leave whenever you want.

I remember making her laugh.

Frank- You got a peanut head!

CJ- (laughing) I'm proud of my peanut head. You have a big head!

Frank- (laughs) So I do. At least it isn't a peanut head (tickles her)

I remember telling her how I felt.

Frank- (looking at her as she watches the movie) I love you, Chanel.

I remember her turning her attention to me. 

CJ- No you don't...

Frank- But I do.

CJ- (laughs) You're high. It's okay.

After that, I don't know what happened. Now I'm in my car sitting outside the studio writing on my notepad. I finally have a song to sing.