Chapter 18: Golden Girl

Frank

I went ninety-five all the way to the hospital screaming at Chanel to stay with me. I could tell she was fading in and out of consciousness. She wasn't about to die in my car. Hell no. I want her to live. To survive. Once I made it to the hospital, I ran to her side and picked her up and carried her into the hospital.

Frank- Somebody help me! She's been shot.

A nurse ran over to me and told the others to get a stretcher. By the time we got her on there, her eyes were closed they rushed her off to a room away from me. I was now alone with my worry. 

Chanel

I heard the shots. I felt a sting in my chest. I felt my body hit the ground. I saw Chris run over to me and hurried to get me into the car. It was all like it was in slow motion. I looked out the front window seeing all the street lights go by. Everything was starting to get blurry. I heard Chris yelling at me to stay with him. But my body had other plans. I tried my best to stay alert but my body was shutting down. I closed my eyes. 

I opened them and my vision was still blurred. I could see brighter lights. It hurt my eyes they were so bright. I had to constantly open and shut my eyes. I could hear a woman sounding urgent. Then a flashlight and an older white man came into view. Flashing that bright ass light in my eyes. I closed my eyes again. 

I opened them back up to see I was surrounded by people in baby blue. There was another bright ass light in my face. I felt my shirt being removed. From what I could see there was no Chris in sight. I felt my body relax and my eyes slowly closed. I heard a voice. The voice was sad. I couldn't really make out who it was. But by their words, I knew it was Chris. He was telling me how much he loved me and how he didn't want me to leave him. Begging me to wake up. 

I opened my eyes and it was bright as hell again. My eyes adjusted finally. I didn't see Chris anywhere. I looked up. My heart dropped. There right in front of me was my grandmother rocking in her favorite chair smiling at me with that warm smile she would smile. 

Granny- It's good to see you again child.

CJ- Granny?

Granny- Yeah it's me. I never thought I would see you so soon. Just as pretty as can be.

CJ- Where am I?

Granny- In limbo child.

CJ- Limbo?

I heard Chris' voice again. 

CJ- Where is Chris?

Granny- Not here child. It isn't his time.

CJ- His time?

Granny- You have a choice to make. Come with me or go back to him.

CJ- Why what's going on? I don't understand...

Granny- You're dying baby girl. Your time has come. To either come to the higher land or go back to Earth.

CJ- I can't just leave Chris. He needs me. Do you hear him crying for me?

Granny- Yeah I hear that boy. He's such a nice one too. He was good for you. But it's time for you to come be with your grandma, with your family. Look who came for you.

She pointed over to my left. I looked and saw my parents. My mother looked as if she was gonna cry. They both ran over to me.

CJ- Mommy? Daddy?

CD- Yeah it's us, sweetheart.

CJ- I missed you guys so much!

I hugged them both.

CM- We missed you too baby girl.

CJ- Why did you guys go?

CM- It was our time to go. Just like your granny's.

Granny- So are you gonna be with us forever or are you going to go be with Frank until it's your time again?

CJ- What do you want me to do?

CD- We can't make that choice. It's your own.

CJ- I want to go with you guys. But what about Chris? Will he be okay without me?

Granny- Chanel come with me.

I followed her into a mist. Appeared a hallway. She walked into a room and there was Chris sitting next to a bed crying. There was me laying on the bed.

CJ- What the hell?

Granny- At this point, you are just a soul. There is your body. 

CJ- Can he see or hear us?

Granny- No. He's not able too. He doesn't have that gift. This is him now at this very moment. Yes, he's upset. He's blaming himself at this current moment. He believes this is all his fault. He is wishing he never left you and got you far away as possible.

CJ- But it's not his fault...

Granny- Just like it wasn't yours when I left. It was my time. You did all that you could do. Just like he has done all that he could have done. Just like you, I had this same choice. To stay or to leave. I didn't want to suffer anymore. So I chose to leave. It was never your fault I got cancer. I took very good care of my body and still got it. It just happens. At this moment he thinks he needs you just as you thought you needed me. But he's better off without you. People are different. You did, in fact, needed me. But he doesn't need you. His love is so strong it's fooling him. You were placed in his life for a reason. And that reason was to love. He needed someone to love. He has been through a lot in his love life. He lost all love for people. But the love he had for you never went away. He thinks you two are meant to be together forever. Truth is you guys aren't. Your purpose in life was for him to find love again. To know what it feels like. The highs and the lows. He is actually made for someone else. I know it's hard to swallow. But it's the truth. He's gonna be sad and heartbroken for a while. But there is someone already in his life for him. He'll move on and live a happy life once you're gone. So what do you want to do? 

CJ- I want to go with you. But first I want to say goodbye to Chris.

Granny- Of course.

Frank

I don't know what to do but beg her to come back to me. I didn't want her to go. I cried and begged. Begged and cried. I held her hand with one hand my face in another. I felt a squeeze on my hand. I looked up and saw her looking at me. My eyes nearly popped out of my head. I quickly ran and got a nurse. She got the tubing out of Chanel's throat. Gave her some water and left us alone for some privacy.

Frank- You're awake!

CJ- I love you, Chris.

Frank- I love you too.

CJ- Now stop that crying.

I wiped my tears. 

Frank- I'm glad you're back. I didn't want you to leave me. I need you.

CJ- No you don't. You have someone that can give you all the love I gave you and more.

Frank- What are you talking about?

CJ- My time has come Chris. I want to go be with my family. I came back to say goodbye and that I love you.

Frank- You're crazy.

CJ- (chuckles) I'm not. You won't understand now. But you will later. I must go now. 

Frank- Wait! No, don't go!

CJ- I love you, Chris. Go be happy.

Frank- I love you too Chanel.

CJ- Goodbye.

She kissed my hand and then close her eyes. The machines started going crazy. My heart dropped. I screamed at her to come back. She couldn't just leave me like that. Doctors ran back in the room pushing me out. They did all that they could do to keep her alive. But nothing worked. She was pronounced dead.