Chapter 13

Melanie's POV

My world was black. I remember arguing with Alex. But I was with him. I was with my mate. But I cried for him. Being taken from him and then everything went black. I don't know where I am. Am I dying? Did I pass out?

Then light. Laughing. Where am I?

I opened my eyes slowly. I was chained to a wall and on a cold, concrete floor. "Oh. You're up. Great." A female's voice called. I recognized that voice.

I looked up and saw a middle aged woman standing in front of me. "Finally. After almost 2 months of trying to get you. I finally have you." She slowly walked up to me.

She was dirty and stunk a little. Like she was outside for several months without a shower. But behind the dirt and the stink, she looked a lot like someone.

"No.." I whispered and tried to scoot away from her but she just kept walking closer. "You're supposed to be locked up! How'd you get out?" I asked in a quiet voice.

Alex's mother smiled at me with a wicked smirk. "I just did what I had to do. Rip everyone to shreds. I've been out for a few weeks now. A little bit before my stupid son became stupid alpha and made you his stupid mate and made you luna and took away my power! I am supposed to be running the pack! But I was sent away because he lied and said I abused him. But I didn't."

I whimpered. "I'll believe Alex before I'll ever believe a crazy woman like you!" I yelled but right after the last word left my mouth, a loud clap and a piercing pain coursed through my cheek. I squeaked in pain and teared up. "Watch your mouth when you're talking to your luna!" She yelled. "I am the luna!" I yelled back. "You've been kicked out over 12 years ago and sent to a mental hospital! You abused Alex in so many ways for 12 years before that and you made him feel worthless! You're no luna!"

She growled at me and shifted to wolf. "You don't scare me.." I whispered and tried shifting but when the chains touched my wolf she whimpered and I shifted back. Alex's mother growled and me but changed back. "Keep in mind who's over who, little girl. I know that horrible, worthless thing of a son is going to try and get. And when he comes, I'll kill him and you and gain my rightful power back."

"Don't dare!" I yelled. Hearing her talk about Alex like that made me angry. "Don't dare what?" She teased. "He is worthless. He's been worthless his whole life. He doesn't love you. Do you think he really does? He's just playing you. He's too far broken for him to actually care for some little girl like you's feelings. He is pitiful. Like you."

I screamed and thrashed, the chains pulling and tightening around my arms and legs. "Stop! Stop talking about my mate that way! You.. you.. bitch!" I yelled.

She laughed in my face and got closer. "I will talk about him as I want. He's my son." She chuckled. I growled and spit in her eye. She growled and kicked me in the stomach. I gasped in pain and hunched over. "You're lucky I don't kill you now, you wretched thing!"

She stomped out of the room and locked the door. Looking up, I broke down. Tears streamed down my face and I couldn't breathe. Partly from the pain she left and partly from wanting to be home. To be with my family and friends. To be with Alex.

Mel? Mel, baby?

I stopped my crying. It was Alex'a voice but he wasn't here. I gasped. "Mind link."

Alex? Alex help!

Melanie, I'm trying. I've been trying for a week now.

A week? I thought...

Have you been knocked out all this time?

I think so.. but that doesn't matter. Alex please help me. I'm scared.

I know. I'm sorry, Melanie. It's all my fault.

No it's not.. Alex.. just please get me home.. I miss you.

I've missed you, too, Melanie. I'm so close to getting you back. I'm sorry.

For?

I was pushing you away. I was afraid of loving. Because my dad dying and my mom hurting me. But when I get you back, I promise I'll try harder. We can be together again, Melanie.

I started to cry again. I wanted to be home so bad. I wanted to be with my parents and Alex. And everything be okay. But I know that won't happen. I wanted so much to be with him. But I knew it wasn't going to be.

Alex?

Yes, Mel. I'm here. I'm trying to find you.

Can I ask for one more promise?

Anything.

Don't find me.

What?

Forget about me. Move on with your life.

Melanie.. I'm not going to let you go.

Your mom is planning to lure you here and kill the both of us. She wants to be the head of our pack again.

That's not going to make me stop looking for you.

I might not make it.. better you stay living than me.. if I don't—

Don't say that.. of course you will.

Alex.. stay away. I don't care if I live and never come home or die. I just want you safe. You have to move on.

I'm going to find you and that's that, Melanie.

No, Alex. Stay home!

Mel..

I love you, Alexander. More than you will ever know. Just know you're strong and not worthless.

And with that, I cut my mind link. Not just to him, but to everyone. And I felt nothing.